Transparent checkpoints ordered nationwide - uniforms/bodycams/ must be set up "for people's good"

webfact

On 2/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

One of the problems is you do get extorted by the police,

Most people who complain about "extortion" don't know the laws in Thailand.

Example and maybe the most common? Motorcycles riding in the left lane.

1 minute ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Including the police, who don't seem to understand extortion is illegal?

It is not extortion if you are breaking the law. You are free to go to the nearest police station while they fill in the forms and then appear in court. As they say in Thailand. Up to you????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It is not extortion if you are breaking the law. You are free to go to the nearest police station while they fill in the forms and then appear in court. As they say in Thailand. Up to you????

Certainly agree if you are breaking the law and the police give you a ticket or arrest you if its a serious crime, drugs etc? However when the police ask for money, or they threaten you with jail, like the Taiwanese young lady, its extortion!

If the cops weren't corrupt of course it wouldn't happen?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Organize your phone to live record to cloud. As far as I'm aware it is not illegal to record for your own welfare in most civil countries but you need to make sure in case of rogue cops simply grabbing your phone and stomping on it. A second spy cam video or audio recorder for those who want to set up a sting. Have a great day all.

59 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

However when the police ask for money,

98.8% at a roadside stops when driving/riding when you have contravened the traffic laws. Can pay on the spot or.... Call it what you like. I call it convenient.

Very few of us are buying this latest attempt to obfuscate what the RTP has been doing since it's founding in 1860. Very few of it's 230,000 members are honest and earn a livelihood strictly from their salary. 

The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? 

Are they finding the  government and army officials who are engaged in drug trafficking or sex slavery? No. Why? Because those goons are protected. 

Are they patrolling the highways to find reckless drivers? No. Why? Because they do not care one iota about traffic safety. It is all lip service. The RTP are a blight on the nation. 

So, even if this guy was sincere, which of course he is not, where would you begin to change that culture? You know where? You would double all salaries. And invest in modern equipment, forensic labs and an effective highway patrol. Probably a trillion baht to start.

The RTP cannot get enough bad press, as far as I am concerned. To call them derelict in their duties would be too diplomatic. They barely practice any law enforcement, and work the franchise, as if their future fortunes depended upon it, which it seems to. 

The RTP is a blight on the face of the nation. Kudos to Charlene An, for calling out these corrupt creeps. Keep it up guys. Hopefully you will get what is coming to you. One can only dream. 

The accused cops said they were ready and prepared to give evidence in the case. Your honor, I am RTP. You and I both know I am above the law, and protected at every level. They even told us that in the academy. That is all the evidence I need. The person making the complaint is just a citizen. They don't count. You know that. I know that. The RTP are superior to citizens. We have the power and you are sworn to protect us. So, drop the charges and let me get on with my franchise. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, connda said:

That's one of the reasons we have a camera in the car.  If stopped, I swivel the camera over to the cop.  Amazing how smooth things go if BIB Bob is being videoed.  Fyi, considering that motorcycles are prime targets for shakedowns, if I still lived in the city and drove my motorcycle (the best way to get around in Chiang Mai imho) I have a helmet mounted camera as well.  For farang driving MC I'd consider a helmet and a mounted camera to be top priorities.  It solves a lot of problems before they begin.  :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago they were fining bikers with helmet cams, tried to say that they were dangerous somehow. Maybe that's changed since they started wearing them themselves...

• Like 1