Re-Rattan'ing of garden chairs

banglay

Hello All ,

Long shot here.. is there anywhere in the Pattaya area that can replace the plastic rattan on garden furniture ?  the frames are ok but the sun and heat has demolished the plastic rattan. and  a rough idea of a price pair chair would be nice too ????

Cheers peeps ????

I was looking after such place also sometime back, and was referred one place by a friend of a friend.  Rode there to ask - a low key home of a local couple that does that work there. Was quoted 2000 baht to re-do a steel-framed plastic rattan dining chair i.e somewhat questionable whether worth do or buy new ones. Have not had my chairs done yet though so can not comment on quality of work. But what they had ongoing when I visited, looked ok.

https://goo.gl/maps/WjTbHDRjSreTjybL8

Edited by mran66

12 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I was looking after such place also sometime back, and was referred one place by a friend of a friend.  Rode there to ask - a low key home of a local couple that does that work there. Was quoted 2000 baht to re-do a steel-framed plastic rattan dining chair i.e somewhat questionable whether worth do or buy new ones. Have not had my chairs done yet though so can not comment on quality of work. But what they had ongoing when I visited, looked ok.

https://goo.gl/maps/WjTbHDRjSreTjybL8

Cheers matey for taking the time to answer . My  table and 6  chairs only cost 18000b about 10 yrs ago ,,, at 2000 b per chair   maybe  the dumpster might be the best option and buy new  ????

16 hours ago, banglay said:

Cheers matey for taking the time to answer . My  table and 6  chairs only cost 18000b about 10 yrs ago ,,, at 2000 b per chair   maybe  the dumpster might be the best option and buy new  ????

My Mrs found a place near The Waterworks Rd  and I took mine there. A little expensive and to be honest not a great job...nor did it last very long. Maybe new is better. I had a circular table which I did a fix on myself with coloured rope.... looked pretty good but took me ages, just a bit of something to do. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Its a 5 hour drive (or it used to be) from Patt's but over in the east in Trat (near Koh Chang) theres literally hundreds of rattan shops and rattan manufacturing set-ups.

Really? Literally hundreds? I only know of one, on the main road between Chantaburi and Trad. Hugely expensive. I took a set of 4 chairs there and ended up giving them to my driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

To avoid the plastic rattan cracking and breaking, you need to ensure that they use the UV stabilised stuff.

I have some tables over ten years old. Still as good as new. Even though they have been left outside all that time.

Bought some other furniture. It was made, and shipped from Indonesia. Every time I move the chairs, there are lots of pieces of broken rattan on the floor. The sun has made it all fade and go brittle.

Real rattan isn't plastic, it's cane, and it's a highly skilled job making rattan furniture, and extremely expensive to buy or repair as a result. Lasts at least 10 years though, IMHE. A decent carpenter will probably be able to jury rig repairs and save a fortune. You could screw some timber squares/planking to the frame, then add some cushioning. Any amount of options. ????