Myanmar staff

My Thai wife is running a coffee shop / restaurant in Phuket which is getting and more popular and busy (good...). However, as most business, she is struggling to get Thai staff.

The business is on her name only, not under a company and I am not involved at all in the business.

We are wondering if and how it would be possible for her to hire Myanmar staff under business. As said, she doesn't have company. However, she has been inspected by the taxes authorities at the opening and she is paying some annual taxes (I am not sure based on what but the amount is not significant)

55 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Obviously they would need a work permit officially, or they work illegal for you. Or you pay the right people. No company = no official employees either.

Well, I am not sure about that. I understand that work permit = company. But i also hear that Myanmar has special treatment in Thailand as migrant or neighor country? I am travelling a lot within Thailand and see small Thai business having Myanmar staff. I doubt they have a company. Maybe I am wrong

13 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Well, I am not sure about that. I understand that work permit = company. But i also hear that Myanmar has special treatment in Thailand as migrant or neighor country? I am travelling a lot within Thailand and see small Thai business having Myanmar staff. I doubt they have a company. Maybe I am wrong

Yeah usually in the south they work wherever and for anyone, and they do have some sort of a visa thing setup. But then again many are here also illegal, I guess that is something your wife could easily find out. I do not think it is a big issue, and yes, hard to find any Thai down south.

Sometime it is not about having a company or papers, or even money, but just about knowing the right people or being a original local there, to be able to do XYZ too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, jphasia said:

I suspect there are special provisions re WP for Myanmar staff because our maid is from Myanmar, and she does have a WP.

We live in Chiang Mai, my Thai son asked her if she's employed by a Thai company then allocated to our house or similar.

Her answer 'NO.' She says she went to a labour office in CM with her Myanmar passport and she got a Thai WP. She had done this before so knew where to go, what documents etc.

She says she's aware there's some special situation re WPs for Myanmar people but doesn't know the full details.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah usually in the south they work wherever and for anyone, and they do have some sort of a visa thing setup. But then again many are here also illegal, I guess that is something your wife could easily find out. I do not think it is a big issue, and yes, hard to find any Thai down south.

Sometime it is not about having a company or papers, or even money, but just about knowing the right people or being a original local there, to be able to do XYZ too.

Thanks. That's what i was thinking too. Yes, she is really struggling to find Thai staff but she want stay in the right side of the law. I also suggest her to ask my previous Myanmar staff how they are doing when they find a job in a business without company.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I suspect there are special provisions re WP for Myanmar staff because our maid is from Myanmar, and she does have a WP.

We live in Chiang Mai, my Thai son asked her if she's employed by a Thai company then allocated to our house or similar.

Her answer 'NO.' She says she went to a labour office in CM with her Myanmar passport and she got a Thai WP. She had done this before so knew where to go, what documents etc.

She says she's aware there's some special situation re WPs for Myanmar people but doesn't know the full details.

Thanks. We will investigate.