Can a broken SSC25 cell be repaired?

uncletiger

In May of 2021 I purchased a new Emaux SSC25 salt water cholorinator from Winwin Pools. I thought it came with a 2 year warranty, but now Win Win is telling me it was only 12 months. In any case, in what is clearly a manufacturing defect, the silicon rubber protecting the iron terminals fell off, leaving the iron exposed directly to the salt water. The iron terminal subsequently disintegrated, leaving me with a useless cell. Winwin pools will not accept any responsibility for this, and I do not have 20k+ to pay for a new cell that would be in perfect condition if not for the defect.

Leaving aside my anger at Winwin for this situation, is there any way to repair the damage to the cell? The iron disintegrated all the way up inside the plastic cap, so it is not clear to me that it can be welded.  Does anyone have any experience with this, or can you suggest a way I can use this chlorinator?  I didn't sign up to pay 25,000 baht every 20 months for faulty equipment.  Does anyone know anything about Emaux? Do they have a reputation for caring about their customers, or am I just SOL?

Any advice is appreciated.

SSC25_Pic1.jpg

SSC25_Pic2.jpg

Ours went in exactly the same way (took a bit longer).

Replacement electrodes are available but are definitely not cheap, we didn't bother and went back to conventional chlorination.

This site says 2 year warranty https://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/emaux-salt-water-chlorinators/1481-emaux-ssc25e-chlorinator.html could be worth talking to Emaux themselves.

• Like 1

Worst machine on the market! Doesn't like irregular power. I had 10 blow on me in 1 condo complex. Looks like the same issue you have & caused by brownouts!  Have many that I replaced with decent machines. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately most people go for price over a little research & extra cost. They are totaly over rated with the output! Decent machine would be in the 40 - 60 K range depending on the size/ volume of the pool or water 

The main supplier of this brand has a full time team doing warranties. Go figure!

30 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

Mine have been working perfect 6 yrs.

Have been cleaning clorinator twice annually to be safe for corrotion ( 1 part muriatic acid 6 parts water in big cola bottle)

Lucky as heaps are lemons! 

Even my local pool shop which I sometimes get bits & bobs always has a few on the floor waiting to go BKK for repairs.

A far as cleaning - good job. However it's oils that stop production. So a little dishwashing detergent will do the job prior acid/water clean as acid won't clean the oil.  

I bought mine Emaux SSC25-T in november 2017 and in december 2019 I took the 2 photos of one faulty spot and wondered what that could be, but the guaranty was over. 

Now I know what it is, but I guess I have been lucky, for the clorinator have been working fine ever since and still does.

Somebody knows if I can seal the "wound" with something and make it watertight?

Clorinator 1.jpg

Clorinator 2.jpg

12 hours ago, perconrad said:

I bought mine Emaux SSC25-T in november 2017 and in december 2019 I took the 2 photos of one faulty spot and wondered what that could be, but the guaranty was over. 

Now I know what it is, but I guess I have been lucky, for the clorinator have been working fine ever since and still does.

Somebody knows if I can seal the "wound" with something and make it watertight?

Clorinator 1.jpg

Clorinator 2.jpg

Rubber tape & it is water tight. Not sure of the brand name. But my supervisor gets it from most hardwares. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Rubber tape & it is water tight. Not sure of the brand name. But my supervisor gets it from most hardwares. 

3M Amalgamating Tape would probably be the stuff. Done right it will last forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1