How many border crossings and visa stamps if I fly from CNX?

cubism001

Hello, getting my yearly retirement visa was more complicated than the time I'd appropriated to that task, so I might not be able to get it.  That's why I'm asking about crossings and stamps!  I understand that I'm restricted to 2 border crossings, each giving 45 days, and each with a 30 day renewal. If I fly, would the number of border crossings be counted in the same way?  It used to be unlimited. Thank you.

Technically, there is no limit to the times you can fly into Thailand and get exempt entries; however, at some point, you can expect an immigration officer to question whether you are a legitimate tourist.  A few times a year should present no problem but after that then you can expect to be questioned.  It's discretionary at that point whether to allow you entry. Would also note that so far the 45 day period for exempt entries expires as of March 31st (after that, absent a law change, you'll only get 30 days).  

If you're typically on an annual extension, why not convert to a Non-O (keeping in mind that here in Chiangmai you need to do that at least 21 days prior to expiration of your permission to stay to apply for that)?  Then, of course, apply for your regular annual extension within 45 days of the expiration date of the Non-O.