Hops restaurant in Pattaya.

ozimoron

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Hops Inn if you like average food average music and noise by all means......be nice if they refreshed everything and did something about noise travel...

Above average food, above average music (according to your tastes, but listenable, unlike most music heard live around town), doesn't need a refresh, good as is--hence so popular. Only noisy (I think; many wouldn't) when the band's playing at night (weekends only? not sure). Hops tends to be well-attended in the evenings, so it will be commensurately noisier, but not bad; very civilized, middle-class crowd. Daytime's (opens at 2) quiet. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Seppius said:

Good beer, but not brewed by them on the premises as they have always claimed before

Was definitely brewed on the premises, contrary to what ANF Posters have always claimed before, and Tim, the brewmeister, showed me the brewing process. I'd occasionally see him getting big sacks of supplies from the storage area across Soi Yamato. He's gone now, but no reason I know of to assume a successor didn't take over, given the investment. You may present your evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen it mentioned above, but I find the price value rather poor. Sure the food is ok but service so-so. Can be very busy but the prices on my 2nd and last visit (Sep 2022) were way in excess of the quality. Only went because it was a friend's birthday.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, sungod said:

Someone has deleted the laughing emoji function, so here is my own to your ridiculous post ????

The place is packed every night, they would be going through thousands of litres of beer a week, so where does this brewing miracle take place? Certainly NOT in those two decorative tanks behind the bar.

For one batch can take up to 8 weeks

"It takes 4 to 8 weeks, or even longer sometimes to brew a lager. This is because it has a special fermentation and bottle conditioning to ensure the beer is cleaner and crisper. The fermentation process in the primary fermenter takes 2-6 weeks or more, and the final gravity thus may not be reached at the end of 3 weeks."

https://hopstersbrew.com/long-does-it-take-to-brew-a-lager/

"The brewing process starts with the selection of the highest quality ingredients, including barley, hops, yeast, and water. These ingredients are carefully chosen to ensure that each beer is unique and flavorful. The barley is first malted, which involves soaking the grain in water to germinate and then drying it to stop the process. This process activates enzymes that convert the grain’s starch into sugar, which will be fermented later

Next, the malt is mashed in warm water to extract the sugar and create a liquid called wort. This wort is then boiled with hops, which add bitterness and aroma to the beer. The hops also act as a natural preservative, helping to extend the shelf life of the beer. After boiling, the wort is cooled and yeast is added to begin the fermentation process.".

ChatGTP

Yes all this happens in the narrow venue with no cellar, and most of the roof space is restaurant, nowhere on their website/Instagram/Facebook do they show pics beer brewing, odd I would have though

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Was definitely brewed on the premises, contrary to what ANF Posters have always claimed before, and Tim, the brewmeister, showed me the brewing process. I'd occasionally see him getting big sacks of supplies from the storage area across Soi Yamato. He's gone now, but no reason I know of to assume a successor didn't take over, given the investment. You may present your evidence.

Shame you never took any pictures that would be your "evidence" mine is all over the internet related to German brewing and how long it takes, impossible to make that much beer on the premises

8 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Shame you never took any pictures that would be your "evidence" mine is all over the internet related to German brewing and how long it takes, impossible to make that much beer on the premises

"Related" isn't Hops, specifically. You have no idea how much they brewed in a batch or their particular brewing methods. Nor did I have any reason whatsoever to take pics.

So of course you got nothing, just the usual hot air and posturing we have here all the time. 

I remember mentioning to Tim that the pumps were kinda noisy. He quite agreed but said the owners wouldn't spend the money on replacement/upgrade. And I remember him coming into the TQ looking and feeling tired. Said he'd been up late working on the brewing. If he'd been up late drinking and carousing, he would certainly have said so, no secret there.

9 hours ago, Seppius said:

Perhaps "hops" was not / is not authentic German beer. 

7 minutes ago, champers said:

Might that be because it is made in Thailand?

Thailand, the land of smoke and mirrors, fakes, and counterfeits.  Money Number One here.  Anything to turn a baht. 

The brew could be anything, made anywhere. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The brew is made in Pattaya. It was always made by a German who worked there but he died a year ago. It's still made here to his recipe.

I agree brewed here in Thailand, just not in the restaurant.

27 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I agree brewed here in Thailand, just not in the restaurant.

With no evidence for disagreeing, just a lie based on ignorant speculation I know for a fact is false. YAWN.

Edited by BigStar

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The brew is made in Pattaya. It was always made by a German who worked there but he died a year ago. It's still made here to his recipe.

In Pattaya, at the Hops itself. Tim, from Bavaria, was always on the premises handling the process.

• Like 1

My last post on the subject I promise, believe what you want

There is not one picture anywhere on the net in all these years showing them actually brewing beer, They have pictures of the Pizza ovens, menus, pouring beer and the kitchens, but no brewery, isn't that something they would love to show off? I would if I was the owner

I have used the place for 20 odd years, never seen the tanks being used, or anyone working on them

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The question raised by another member was is every last drop that is bought and sold on the premises brewed on site.  I have no doubt it's brewed in Pattaya / Thailand, but the dispute is about is all of the product brewed on site?

The member seems to think, due to the popularity of the venue, and the length of time to create a batch, it's impossible that ALL of the product can be brewed on site.

I wouldn't know, and I never met the German guy, but that is the question in dispute here, as I understand it. 

21 hours ago, Seppius said:

I have used the place for 20 odd years, never seen the tanks being used, or anyone working on them

I have, and in fact I was pointing out to Tim that the pumps on the front tanks were noisy.

21 hours ago, Seppius said:

There is not one picture anywhere on the net in all these years showing them actually brewing beer

Been to quite a few brew pubs over the years and never noticed any making a point of showing the process behind the scenes. Not to say that some don't. Large brewers in the USA that ship out their craft beers and have a pub in the front give tours, but Hops isn't that kind of operation. Shiny tanks are a lot more scenic. The more industrial equipment at the Hops is in a room behind the resto, and supplies are kept across the street.

What we don't have one picture from you of any supposed off-site facility where the beer's actually brewed or of one picture of a truck, after all these years, unloading it on Soi Yamato. Been down that soi a million times over the years, at all hours, and never saw one. Perhaps you could hang out and get one. Or the Pattaya Proctological Photography Club members might leave off photographing garbage, construction, and various other evils and take a pic.

Do that, and I'll be happy to concede your point.

• Like 1