visas for 8 months

UK passport holder arriving next month

I understand I can get a 45 day visa exemption on arrival, what's the easiest route for the rest of the stay, if I visit Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam at some stage?

I qualify for a retirement visa but not sure if I want to stay forever yet

Thanks! 

You should have obtained a METV However perhaps not enough time now.

You can enter visa exempt and obtain extensions to each entry into Thailand using visa exempt and tourist visa entries.

Can string that out for 8 months however not best option. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can enter visa exempt and obtain extensions to each entry into Thailand using visa exempt and tourist visa entries.

Can string that out for 8 months however not best option. 

I agree it is not the best option, and there should still be time to apply for the METV. Even if the 45-day stay from visa exemptions ends as of March 31st, it will still be possible to eke out nine months with extensions on visa exempt entries. However, border bounces will become stressful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

flight not until end of month so I probably have enough time BUT do you think it might be less stressful for me if I just get the 45 day visa exemption on entry, open a bank account and apply for a 1 year retirement visa?

thanks

With the current 45-day visa exempt entry, each entry will ensure 75 days (one extension). If you visit Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam then three more entries. So a total of 75x4 = 300 days. Of course there is always a risk of entry denial at the airport unless two of the entries are made visa land border. This assumptions are based on extension of visa exempt entries to 45-days beyond March 31. 

Edited by Xanthe
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Xanthe said:

Of course there is always a risk of entry denial at the airport unless two of the entries are made visa land border.

thanks for your input, could well be on a pushbike so do they think they'll 'look favourably' on me? cheers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

BUT do you think it might be less stressful for me if I just get the 45 day visa exemption on entry, open a bank account and apply for a 1 year retirement visa?

Have you even looked at requirements to open a bank account on a visa exempt exempt entry.

Naive post. Read the many threads regarding this. 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you even looked at requirements to open a bank account on a visa exempt exempt entry.

Naive post. Read the many threads regarding this. 

fair point but I do understand 'contr0l freak governments' moving the goalposts all the time :ph34r:

i'll try and find out what the current diktat is :w00t:

cheers

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

I agree it is not the best option, and there should still be time to apply for the METV. Even if the 45-day stay from visa exemptions ends as of March 31st, it will still be possible to eke out nine months with extensions on visa exempt entries. However, border bounces will become stressful.

Border bounces have never been stressful for me, But I would not deal with any of these border bounce companies now.

Since the pandemic, the cost of these have almost doubled, mainly I think using the Russia/ Ukraine situation merely as an excuse for their greed.

• Thanks 1