QR Jacking - potential issue here......

Considering the proliferation and use of QR codes here I wonder how long before we start reading stories about this here - 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-11712823/Never-heard-QR-jacking-cynical-new-ruse-steal-cash.html

Smartphone QR codes - those black and white squares - are everywhere, but beware... Never even heard of QR jacking - or Quishing? Watch out! It's code for new ruse to steal YOUR cash

I wasn't sure where to post this - banking/mobile or..... so settled for general. Although the original article is about the UK it points to a potential issue here.

My Mrs was going on at me not to except calls on my mobile because if you answer questions they can take money from your bank account by hacking your mobile or whatever, don't know what the ell she's going on about. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

My Mrs was going on at me not to except calls on my mobile because if you answer questions they can take money from your bank account by hacking your mobile or whatever, don't know what the ell she's going on about. 

That is currently taking place....My wife warned me 1st - then I read an article where this was taking place....

There have been some instances in Thailand....

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

That is currently taking place....My wife warned me 1st - then I read an article where this was taking place....

There have been some instances in Thailand....

What I do now is look whose calling and if it not come up with a name on my mobile numbers list I just reject it and ban the phone number.

• Thanks 1

If they start to use QR codes for donations in temples, this could become a real problem, although you can also just run with the donation box.

The downside of “QR jacking” is that the new QR code will include the identity of whoever receives the money.

But we’ve previously had a thread about someone’s female friend, who signed up to receive bank payments from Shopee, and just had to transfer the money to someone else, but keep a certain amount — I think that scam was about getting validated purchases, but probably wouldn’t be too hard to enlist some unsuspecting money mules in Thailand.

4 hours ago, lkn said:

If they start to use QR codes for donations in temples, this could become a real problem, although you can also just run with the donation box.

Many Thai temples have had PromptPay QR codes for donations on display for several years, often on an actual donation box to provide an alternative way to a cash donation.

Sure, someone could post their own sticker there instead, but then the recipient shown in the bank app would be "Somchai Whatever" instead of "Wat Whatever", which should look suspicious enough to at least the more alert people. 

• Like 1