Senior Thai Police Orders Strict New Checkpoint Rules in Response to Extortion Cases

webfact

11 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Yes we can, similar to how you know what San Diego to Irvine check points are for , we know what these Thai shakedowns checkpoints are for. Specially in all touristy areas!

Too funny. With Immigration/ICE trucks parked along side the checkpoint, there is no guess work.

And now, all of a sudden, for convenience sake, all of Bangkok is now regarded as a tourist area, really! Heads up, it isn't.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Your post is rather optimistic.. let me see, you want to restrict the income of those who rent out motorcycles, and at the same time that of the police? The incentive being?

Are you just commenting for the sake of it again?

5 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Easy solution to that would be to go after the rental shops who rent bikes to people who don't produce a valid license. The cops use checkpoints as an income stream and not for road safety purposes and with the increase in fines there has been an increase in checkpoints

I do know that certain motorbike rental shops in Pattaya were owned by police officers, although I am not sure if that is the case today.

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Nonsense! Thailand is at the heart of the illegal drugs industry in SE Asia, that and people smuggling make checkpoints and stops essential. I used to drive from San Diego to Irvine every day and get stopped around Oceanside at the border patrol checkpoint and my car searched, almost every day for drugs or illegals, exactly the same thing..

I drove with my then girlfriend down past San Deigo and across the border into Mexico, both going there and coming back into America, the car was not searched at all, though that was way back before I came to Thailand.

Things could have changed now.

“National police chief Pol. Gen. Damrongsak Kittiprapas issued an order on Saturday, February 4th, requiring all checkpoint police officers to store their body cam footage of their conduct at the checkpoint for at least 20 days”

This rule is only to be followed in an emergency, ie when the person you’re extorting money from is using their IPhone/Android camera to film you. 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, nigelforbes said:

You don't know what the purpose of the checkpoint was for, you can only speculate.

So the police should provide the public with information about traffic checkpoints: why are they utilized? what should citizens expect? what sort of cooperation is required? what can the police search for?

My speculation is that any meth busts are made not via routine traffic checkpoint inspections but based in more detailed information? Traffic checkpoint inspections are NEVER mentioned in articles related to massive meth busts.

My further speculation is that most volume meth transport is sanctioned by the authorities.

Drugs were never mentioned in the Taiwanese actress kerfuffle, which kicked off this whole checkpoint theatre performance. That seemed to be more about visas or vapes?

If you want to be transparent then be transparent about everything, including the need for checkpoints.

5 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

So the police should provide the public with information about traffic checkpoints: why are they utilized? what should citizens expect? what sort of cooperation is required? what can the police search for?

My speculation is that any meth busts are made not via routine traffic checkpoint inspections but based in more detailed information? Traffic checkpoint inspections are NEVER mentioned in articles related to massive meth busts.

My further speculation is that most volume meth transport is sanctioned by the authorities.

Drugs were never mentioned in the Taiwanese actress kerfuffle, which kicked off this whole checkpoint theatre performance. That seemed to be more about visas or vapes?

If you want to be transparent then be transparent about everything, including the need for checkpoints.

I didn't say or suggest any of those things!

I only said that the previous poster didn't know why the checkpoint existed or its purpose hence he isn't able to speculate that it's sole purpose was to extort money from foreigners in "touristy" areas.