Surakiart Now Tipped As Pheu Thai’s Top Contender For PM

webfact

image.jpeg

Former foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai. Photo: Thai Rath

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

FORMER FOREIGN MINISTER Surakiart Sathirathai will likely be proclaimed at the last minute as the top person among a trio of Pheu Thai partisan candidates for prime minister, said a partisan source.

Surakiart who currently chairs the Asian Peace and Reconciliation Council Foundation, used to perform as foreign minister about two decades ago during the time of a ruling Thai Rak Thai Party led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, according to the source who only spoke on condition that he not be identified.

In addition, Surakiart also performed as deputy prime minister and finance minister during separate periods of Thaksin’s era which came to an end due to the 2006 coup.

Thaksin has apparently intended to keep Surakiart unmentioned by the Pheu Thai rank and file as one of the trio of the Pheu Thai contenders for prime minister.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/02/04/surakiart-now-tipped-as-pheu-thais-top-contender-for-pm/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-02-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition, Surakiart also performed as deputy prime minister and finance minister during separate periods of Thaksin’s era which came to an end due to the 2006 coup.

At least he has some pedigree...

• Haha 1

Surakiart is my neighbor in Phra Khanong. 

His fairly modest, 4 level mansion is on Pridi14, directly under my 10th floor balcony on Pridi 16.

When I first moved into my unit, almost 20 years ago, there was an open field next to his home and in that field were parked 30+ Mercedes-Benz limousines, mostly from the 60's 70's & 80's along with a couple of Rolls-Royces and various other cars, many from the Royal Family. (His wife is a niece of Queen Sirikit).  Later, he built a warehouse sized shed on that lot which holds the collection, sadly now out of sight.

I never could figure out such an obviously "Hi-So" couple living in the decidedly "Lo-So" neighborhood of Phra Khanong.