These Florida brothers ran one of the largest opioid ‘pill mills’ in US history. The FBI says it was linked to thousands of deaths

Scott

image.png

Throngs of people hang outside the American Pain clinic in Boca Raton, Florida, waiting their turn. Inside, a doctor greets them one by one and prescribes them pain medication, a handgun peeking out from under his white coat.

American Pain is a one-stop shop, supplying both prescriptions and painkillers. At the door, a hulking bouncer warns people not to snort their pills in the parking lot. That would attract the kind of attention that the clinic’s owners, twin brothers Chris and Jeff George, are trying to avoid.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/03/us/american-pain-pill-mill-documentary-cec/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't see a problem, they provided what people wanted using pharmaceuticals provided by a major manufacturer.

How many of the manufacturers CEOs/staff and share-holders went to jail?

Surely they are even more guilty?

They are dope dealers they have caused many deaths broken families and untold misery I personally do have a problem with that as do most folks

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see the 'dope' was medicine manufactured by major pharmaceutical companies handed out by real doctors using real prescriptions.

There is at least one very good documentary on how Purdue Pharmaceuticals and the Sackler family were using questionable data to convince doctors that massive doses were not addictive.  One of the ways they did this, was to use a former heroin addict, whose tolerance was extremely high. 

I believe they also used junkets for representatives who were upping sales.   It's very scary that some agency didn't catch this much faster than it did.  

The problem, of course, wasn't just the drugs, but the sudden withdrawal when the easy prescriptions dried up.  That was, in part, the rise of Fentanyl.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see the 'dope' was medicine manufactured by major pharmaceutical companies handed out by real doctors using real prescriptions.

It was also approved by the Food and Drug Administration (or their equivalent) in many countries. In the US, the FDA and Big Pharma have a very close relationship. Anyone who researches the Biogen Alzheimer drug fiasco can't help but wonder what the hell is going on with the FDA..

• Like 1

A lot of people think the gun lobby is the biggest and most insidious in America. They are wrong. it is the Pharma Industrial Complex and their enablers.  They are trying to create a society with a pill for every possible need and condition. Whenever I visit the US, I am struck by how much TV advertising is devoted to various drugs, treatments, and therapies. Used to be quack lawyers, now it is drugs. 

As for the two in this story, they should be on trial for murder, and hopefully Florida still has a permanent punishment waiting for them.

• Thumbs Up 1