Krungthai Electronic Banking

I discovered today that Krungthai internet banking has been discontinued (took me an age to set it up).

Refer to the app seemed to be the advice.

I've been with the bank 5+ years in Pattaya and have the IO crown jewel requirements tucked away there.

Despite 6 visits to the bank resulting in the same outcome (yes definition = XX????), my App still is zip.

"Unable to verify your identity".

A hundred phone calls blah blah.

So, at the end of the day I have a passbook but no internet banking & no App.

Lucky for me the staff are all good humoured.

Gunna get rid of the bank and find another.

But I will wait for Apr when IO extension is due.

I left the bank thinking I could be Fred Flintstone, so backwards was it all.

Sadly Willma wasn't at the door to console me at home.

Thankfully I have another bank for day to day operations.

Anyone else had anything similar?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I've had that message last few weeks.

Note that they don't seem to say what is actually changing.

I test drove my "usual" KTB today.

Everything was sweet.

The AML legislation is doing something, but I know not what yet.????????

4 hours ago, fdsa said:

I wasn't able to pass the face recognition too, went to the nearest branch and they activated the app through their computer, without even taking my photo.

Yes, same problem but different outcome.

I will try another branch. Cheers.

????????

19 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yes, same problem but different outcome.

I will try another branch. Cheers.

????????

Same problem. I have got bored with two visits now both involving lengthy queues, and the branch being unable to help. "Mee Dai! Cannot. Don't know when it will be fixed!"

Goodbye Krungthai, hello Kasikorn!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't this a surprise. My Thai wife is going to Thailand next week. Tried checking her Krungthai account online, can not. Not game to try set it up overseas due to fear of getting blocked out. It's a bit stressful, she is old and doesn't use apps. I told her the only option is to go into the branch and get it sorted when she gets there. Honestly did they think about old Thai pensioners when doing this?

14 hours ago, bmanly said:

Wasn't this a surprise. My Thai wife is going to Thailand next week. Tried checking her Krungthai account online, can not. Not game to try set it up overseas due to fear of getting blocked out. It's a bit stressful, she is old and doesn't use apps. I told her the only option is to go into the branch and get it sorted when she gets there. Honestly did they think about old Thai pensioners when doing this?

She would not be able to finish the mobile app setup as the last step requires the person to go a Krungthai branch to complete the verification.  A person has 72 hours to complete this final verification step.   This final verification is either done by a Krungthai Bank representative OR the person inserting their Thai ID card in a special Krungthai Bank verification machine that can read a Thai ID card.  This very last step is what is giving people the biggest headache.

If she does not want to use/setup the mobile app then to accomplish any bank transaction, check account balance, transfer funds, etc., will require her physically going to a branch or using a Krungthai ATM/CDM/passbook update machine.  Or said another way, unless using the mobile app online access will no longer be available. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bmanly said:

Agreed. Not only in Thailand does this happen.

Update.

Opened a Krungsri  (yellow bank) account with internet and mobile banking. ATM card not required.

Opened in a Central province.

Took the wife as back-up but it was easy as pie.

Only passport & Thai drivers licence req'd.

Two fantastic,cheerful, helpful & funny girls.

Bye Bye Blue bank with my 800k after next annual extension.????????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed. Not only in Thailand does this happen.

It doesn't happen in my country Australia. I have several banks accounts, all are accessed either by web on my PC or mobile app. It is unheard of to shut off internet banking for people, just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Update.

Opened a Krungsri  (yellow bank) account with internet and mobile banking. ATM card not required.

You did the right thing. I have a Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Account and both have web access, mobile app and ATM cards. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pib said:

She would not be able to finish the mobile app setup as the last step requires the person to go a Krungthai branch to complete the verification.  A person has 72 hours to complete this final verification step.   This final verification is either done by a Krungthai Bank representative OR the person inserting their Thai ID card in a special Krungthai Bank verification machine that can read a Thai ID card.  This very last step is what is giving people the biggest headache.

If she does not want to use/setup the mobile app then to accomplish any bank transaction, check account balance, transfer funds, etc., will require her physically going to a branch or using a Krungthai ATM/CDM/passbook update machine.  Or said another way, unless using the mobile app online access will no longer be available. 

Thanks Pib, I am glad we didn't try setting this up in Australia then. They don't tell you these things. The point of concern is that we live in Australia and we just want to check her online account [oh hang on, no longer online account] to make sure everything is correct. So I guess I must encourage her to get this set up at a branch. That means she has to buy a Thai sim insert in phone and go to the branch [It can't be done on wi-fi]. Why do they make things so hard? Cheers.

5 minutes ago, bmanly said:

Why do they make things so hard? Cheers.

Krungthai Bank is a state-owned bank...and many of their customers are a "captive audience" in order to receive/apply for certain govt benefit payments.  A government-owned and a captive audience combination often means the government is not too concerned about customer convenience.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, bmanly said:

It doesn't happen in my country Australia. I have several banks accounts, all are accessed either by web on my PC or mobile app. It is unheard of to shut off internet banking for people, just saying.

Apologies, my bad wording.

I was attempting to suggest that older people (eg my Mom, 91 years young) either don't use apps or get terribly frustrated/can not set them up etc.

Yup. I still maintain 3 Aus banks and all good for 10 years.

Cheers????????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Frustrating that Krungthai no longer allow web access . I`m thinking of opening an account with another bank . Which is the best one to go for ?

Shop around.

Generally boils down to what services you want and what the individual counter staff feel like doing on any given day.

Make sure the account pays interest.

Some branches state that password resets/new ATM cards/lost passbooks etc can only be done at the original branch.

Some want a CoR.

Enjoy the fun of it all.

Let us know how you go.????????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 5:56 AM, Lucky Bones said:

Update.

Thanks for this.

I've tried about 20 times to get the Krungthai "Next" mobile app to recognise my face. Useless... "Blink your eyes", "Move your head", "Open Your Mouth", "Unable to connect to the service at the moment"... <deleted>!

No online banking at Krung Thai means no banking at Krung Thai.

So I went to my KrungThai bank, withdrew 1,000,000 and went over the road to Kasikorn and deposited it. At least I can transfer money online with them.

I started this reply an hour or so ago. I just applied at Krungsri in Phuket - took the form printed out from their web site and they said in about 7 days I will get an email with information on how to log in. Then, after I got home, I got a call from a KrungSri bank guy who said I'd get an SMS with a temporary password and how to log in. Sure enough, it arrived. But I can't log in - they want the account number and password. I tried several time without success. Maybe I'll go back and get them to fix it or I'll wait the 7 days.

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks for this.

I've tried about 20 times to get the Krungthai "Next" mobile app to recognise my face. Useless... "Blink your eyes", "Move your head", "Open Your Mouth", "Unable to connect to the service at the moment"... <deleted>!

No online banking at Krung Thai means no banking at Krung Thai.

So I went to my KrungThai bank, withdrew 1,000,000 and went over the road to Kasikorn and deposited it. At least I can transfer money online with them.

I started this reply an hour or so ago. I just applied at Krungsri in Phuket - took the form printed out from their web site and they said in about 7 days I will get an email with information on how to log in. Then, after I got home, I got a call from a KrungSri bank guy who said I'd get an SMS with a temporary password and how to log in. Sure enough, it arrived. But I can't log in - they want the account number and password. I tried several time without success. Maybe I'll go back and get them to fix it or I'll wait the 7 days.

I think ("think" being the operative word), it all depends on who you get.

The Yellow bank was great.

The 2 girls that served me in Central Thailand were brilliant.

It was all sorted quickly and everything works perfectly.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I think ("think" being the operative word), it all depends on who you get.

The Yellow bank was great.

The 2 girls that served me in Central Thailand were brilliant.

It was all sorted quickly and everything works perfectly.????????

Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to get their online banking working on my Windows PC, so I'll wait for their email and try what they say in it before I go back there to get it sorted.

I may try again tomorrow using the bank account as username and the password they sent me. The problem I see is the format of the bank account - do you put in the hyphens or not? I've tried with and without hyphens, but no success.