Retirement Visa and International Driver's License Questions

Hello,

I need to travel to the US in March. My retirement visa expires at the end of April but I won't return until May. I want to extend it in early March. Is this possible? 

I have a Thai driver's license. Can I get an international driver's license with that? 

Thanks so much!

6 minutes ago, KhonKaenLive said:

I need to travel to the US in March. My retirement visa expires at the end of April but I won't return until May. I want to extend it in early March. Is this possible? 

Unlikely, normally you can apply 30 days early (some IOs reported as allowing 45 days). Could always talk to your IO and see if they'll work with you to meet the timelines.

8 minutes ago, KhonKaenLive said:

I have a Thai driver's license. Can I get an international driver's license with that? 

Yes, at your local DLT (https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/). Check if you actually need one, many countries allow you to use a 5 year Thai licence.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhonKaenLive said:

Which immigration office as most are up to 30 days prior to expiry or some 45.

Either way if you show you flight out of Thailand end of April for your trip they may allow you to apply for extension retirement earlier. 

Certainly has been possible in the past. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

In Phuket, they asked me to provide proof of my flight booking, so make sure you take that. Phuket allows renewals 45 days in advance. I went in 46 days in advance prior to a long trip and they processed mine the same day - with no special "service charge". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

. I went in 46 days in advance prior to a long trip and they processed mine the same day

Reports from various offices accepting application couple week prior to the 30/45 by showing flight out of Thailand and explaining reasons. 

Personally I would throw out the sick relative card. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Khon Kaen is 45 days before expiration I called them recently to confirm that. You might even try asking if they can make an exception for someone getting ready to travel if you need more than 45 days.

043-306642
https://khonkaen.immigration.go.th/index.php/en/contact-us

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KhonKaenLive said:

How do you certify your address through the immigration office? Bring a utility bill? Thanks!

As usual, specifics will depend on the IO you go to, based on your "name" I don't recall seeing anything asked for out of the ordinary so likely along the lines of the requirements listed here: https://www.thethailandlife.com/residence-certificate-thailand although TM6 is no longer relevant and I believe some IOs are happy with just a TM30 without a copy of your lease.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, statman78 said:

I have travelled back to the US and rented a car using my Thai driver’s license without any problems.  No need to get an international driver’s license 

I didn't think you needed one in the US but wasn't sure if accepted in all States?

• Like 1

There are a few states in the US that only recognize a non-US license if it is accompanied by an IDL, even if the license is in English.

Some rental car companies require an IDL because they are concerned that the renter could drive in one of those states which might then affect insurance coverage.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, statman78 said:

I have travelled back to the US and rented a car using my Thai driver’s license without any problems.  No need to get an international driver’s license 

Seeing as there is no such thing...no! But an International DrivING PERMIT might be needed.   555

• Like 1

Thai license is valid in the states<
i have used mine to rent cars and 1 time i was stopped for speeding in Ca an the officer only wanted to know after seeing my Thai liked how i liked it there>>
Why pay 500 baht for an IDP thats only valid 1 year

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, KhonKaenLive said:

How do you certify your address through the immigration office? Bring a utility bill? Thanks!

Just did my intl lic yday (505 baht). 2 x passport photos, Thai 5-yr driving licence, passport. residency cert fr immigration. Nice to bring your own photocopies along, but they did their own anyway at DLT Chonburi office. For Ptya residents: intl lic not avlble in Banglamung DLT, you need to go to Chonburi HO.

Res cert 300 baht, no docs required, just pp and filled out form (avlble at the office, in my case Chonburi/Sri Racha. 15 mins, done. No ID requirements (bills etc).

Intl kic is valid for 2 yrs + in my case (exp on bday in 2025, so got 26 months of validity out of it).

For an extra 55 baht they updated my 5-yr TH drivers licence, new passport number, new photo (taken by them at the DLT office), = new plastic card. Same expiry date as old one.

• Like 1