Thai Senator Calls For Stricter Thai Visa Rules

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that lowlife Brits can come to Thailand any time they like, it must be galling for well established Thais to be treated to the third degree (or feel this is a possibility) every time they want to visit the UK.As far as I know Thais have not been a problem in the UK as overstayers so I don't see the difficulty with agreeing some form of a reciprocal arrangement.

This situation is the same with most EU countries, Japan and USA. Not only with Great Britain.

And it is not only Thailand. For example Japanese citizens are travelling to China and Vietnam visafree, but visas are requested by Japan from anybody holding Vietnamese or Chinese nationality.

If Thailand requests visafree entry to EU, Japan and USA, other countries of that region, particulary Philippines, China and Vietnam will also request visafree entries....

Everything has two sides.....

It is not possible, and there is no reason to single out Thailand for privileges, while refusing them to other ASEAN countries.

Baaksida: the man in the guardbooth at Her Majesty's Embassy (who looks Thai) is a Gurka from Nepal. Next time you are passing the Embassy, make your enquiry again.  But this time start by saying "Namastay" (which is the Nepali equivalent of "Sawasdee"). You will receive the most delightful smile imaginable.

Thanks Martin! Now that you're telling me, yes, he looked somewhat odd for a Thai, so my sincerest apologies to the fine Gurkas for confusing them with Thais!! But I will use the Nepalese greeting next time... :o

More like "nomusteh" with the accent on the "must":

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/histo...<deleted>/hellon.aiff

Let us know how you get on! :D

Most senior Ministers of most countries are accorded diplomatic passports, and in many cases, so are their wives.

Not in many cases, but in ALL cases, the wife and children of a diplomat are entitled to hold diplomatic passports and therefore holding the same rights.

Wife (in some cases the husband) and their minor children however have to request their diplomatic passports separately and ask for approval. It is not automatically included in the function of the diplomat, that his/her spouse/children might come with him to the same diplomatic conditions.

Ministers, members of Parliament, senior members of international organisations on a diplomatic level can apply for a diplomatic passport - anyway, whoever, the position of this person MUST be clearly explained in the diplomatic passport - or the passport is not valid.

Also the position: TO BE THE WIFE of the DIPLOMAT xxx and his function must be clearly written in French and English in the diplomatic passport.

When requesting services of another country, like visa, tax-free import or whatever, a note verbale of the related organisation MUST be submit together with the passport.

I think, lopburi3 is mixing up DIPLOMATIC passports with SERVICE passports...or even ordinary passports.

And I think, he is mixing up diplomatic privileges with consular/embassy service staff privileges.

OK, my nepali accent/transliteration is pretty crude, but it has got me through some rough and tough porter trails into the Himala, and to some places that had rarely seen a 'white man' before, much less a daft 62-year-old on a rented motor bike. I find that one scores points with locals (all over the world) for just having a go---no need to wait till one is expert.

Thanks for the link. Clearly the Internet is going to be more use than I had ever thought if it allows folk to hear common, useful words before they go to a new country. I must get 'with' more of this IT stuff.

OK, my nepali accent/transliteration is pretty crude, but it has got me through some rough and tough porter trails into the Himala, and to some places that had rarely seen a 'white man' before, much less a daft 62-year-old on a rented motor bike. I find that one scores points with locals (all over the world) for just having a go---no need to wait till one is expert.

Thanks for the link. Clearly the Internet is going to be more use than I had ever thought if it allows folk to hear common, useful words before they go to a new country. I must get 'with' more of this IT stuff.

Quite agree about having a go - I watched a little kid do a Thai dance routine in Big C yesterday. He was just with his mum and mucking around, but it looked good. He was about 7 or 8. So as I walked by I said "Geng maak!'. He nearly fell over with shock at this farang speaking to him :o:D:D

I wonder how the new FTA between Australia and Thailand will affect his ranting regarding strict measures

Just when Thai- Australia have relaxed visa rules and WP requirements

Do you have a reference to the relaxing of visa rules and WP requirements?

:o

But this time start by saying "Namastay" (which is the Nepali equivalent of "Sawasdee"). You will receive the most delightful smile imaginable.

I was taught by Rekei teacher, that Namastay, means. The Buddha in me salutes the Buddha in you. As such, it is also used in India.

I wonder how the new FTA between Australia and Thailand will affect his ranting regarding strict measures

Just when Thai- Australia have relaxed visa rules and WP requirements

Do you have a reference to the relaxing of visa rules and WP requirements?

:o

Maybe getting Australian citizenship is an easier way into Thailand than the Non-B :D

ASIC

I wonder how the new FTA between Australia and Thailand will affect his ranting regarding strict measures. Just when Thai- Australia have relaxed visa rules and WP requirements

I'm unaware on any linkage with relaxed visa & WP requirements for Australian/Thai nationals within the Thai - Australia FTA. Can you clarify with reference material?

I'm unaware on any linkage with relaxed visa & WP requirements for Australian/Thai nationals within the Thai - Australia FTA. Can you clarify with reference material?

I am aware that as of the first of Jan. Thai citizens aged 18-30 will be able to apply for a one year working visa. The criteria being that, they speak English, have a bachelors degree and are sponsored by the gov. A lot of criteria to fulfill. I was only made aware of this info, by listening to radio Australia.

Given that lowlife Brits can come to Thailand any time they like, it must be galling for well established Thais to be treated to the third degree (or feel this is a possibility) every time they want to visit the UK.As far as I know Thais have not been a problem in the UK as overstayers so I don't see the difficulty with agreeing some form of a reciprocal arrangement.

This situation is the same with most EU countries, Japan and USA. Not only with Great Britain.

And it is not only Thailand. For example Japanese citizens are travelling to China and Vietnam visafree, but visas are requested by Japan from anybody holding Vietnamese or Chinese nationality.

If Thailand requests visafree entry to EU, Japan and USA, other countries of that region, particulary Philippines, China and Vietnam will also request visafree entries....

Everything has two sides.....

It is not possible, and there is no reason to single out Thailand for privileges, while refusing them to other ASEAN countries.

Sorry but this is nonsense.ASEAN is not seen as a homogeneous block of countries by the EU, nor I would suspect the US or Japan.Taking the case of the UK, visitors from Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia for example have visa free access.Those from Myanmar, Cambodia. Vietnam, Laos and Thailand do.My argument is that Thailand could reasonably be placed in the former category.

Do try and research your comments before coming out with this kind of rubbish.

The problem is that the Thai citizens seem to overstay abroad. A lot.

Really George? If this is correct I am completely wrong in the basis for my argument for reciprocal visa arrangements.Any hard evidence however because on an anecdotal basis overstaying Thais are not a great problem, in the UK at least?

Sorry but this is nonsense.ASEAN is not seen as a homogeneous block of countries by the EU, nor I would suspect the US or Japan.Taking the case of the UK, visitors from Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia for example have visa free access.Those from Myanmar, Cambodia. Vietnam, Laos and Thailand do.My argument is that Thailand could reasonably be placed in the former category.

Seems you do not have much knowledge of the present situation, I do not need to research my comments, after working over 20 years in the embassy next to the consular section, by the way. I see every day, what kind of strange visa applications are on the desk of my colleagues.

If you compare Singapore or Brunei with Thailand, then check first the capita income per person per year, the trade figures and the population figures of each country, I would say.

Sorry but this is nonsense.ASEAN is not seen as a homogeneous block of countries by the EU, nor I would suspect the US or Japan

I know this, the problem is however, that ASEAN sees the EU as a homogeneous block. ASEAN therefore is also trying their best to act towards the EU in the same way

And yes, US and Japan are deeply involved in this area.

ABC Asia Pacifc: Mr Koizumi was speaking at a summit between his country, which has suspended new aid to Burma over its crackdown on the opposition, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). At the ASEAN summit on Tuesday, Burma won praise, rather than censure.

Dr Mahathir says it's difficult to get on with a country that considers itself the deputy sheriff to the United States.

"Australia must decide whether it is Europe, America or is it Asia," he said.

"If it is Asia there's no problem. But we see Australia as some sort of a transplant from another region with the same thinking of the transplanted entity."

Is this what you call an offer for bilateral agreements?

ASEAN not homogeneous? Visafree for all ASEAN citizens.....for all EU????

For their kindness and their smile or for what?

All Thais visafree to Europe, Japan and USA? As tourists only for only 30 or 90 days?

And with what money do you think, they will pay for their holidays?

Disgruntled senator calls for stricter visa rules for foreigners

BANGKOK: -- A senator from the north-eastern province of Mahasarakham today called on the government to review its issuance of visas to foreigners, after he failed to gain a visa from the British Embassy for a trip to England.

Responding to his treatment at the hands of the British Embassy, Mr. Wittaya Masena said it was time to review visa regulations that allowed foreigners easy access to Thailand, while Thais - 'even politicians' - were forced to wait in lengthy queues in order to gain visas to go abroad.

Mr. Wittaya claimed that over 30 senators had recently failed to gain visas on time to undertake their foreign travel as scheduled, despite having requested the visas in advance.

Saying that Thailand should consider its 'national honour', Mr. Wittaya called on the government to undertake background checks of foreigners entering the country, rather than simply issuing visas indiscriminately as a means of facilitating tourism.

"People from several countries can travel to Thailand without a visa, regardless of whether they are--parliamentarians, businesspeople, tourists, or even hooligans, or traders in illegal goods", he said.

"But when Thai people request visas to those countries, they need to get up in the early hours of the morning to wait in queues to submit documents, and have to waste the entire day in order to hear whether or not their visa request has been granted. This is like begging! Where has the honour of Thai people gone?"

Mr. Wittaya cited the recent example of Deputy Senate Speaker Niphon Wisityutthasat and a number of senators, who failed to gain visas to the UK, and missed their scheduled flight as a result.

He called on the government both to review its issuance of visas to foreigners, and increase visa charges, noting that while Thai visas were a mere Bt400-500 each, Thais often had to each pay up to Bt3,000 for visas to travel abroad.

-- TNA 2004-07-06

Ah yes the bums at the UK embassy giving Thai senators a hard time ,thats a laugh !

Just shows you what the Brit embassy thinks of thai senators doesnt it .

they lump them together with all the other applicants ,haw haw haw

what a disgrace ! The British Imperialists up to their old tricks !

Ah yes the bums at the UK embassy giving Thai senators a hard time ,thats a laugh !

No Thai senator with a valid diplomatic passport would line up with ordinary Thai applicants at any embassy. No need to line up with the own ordinary Thai people.....

Diplomatic passports are delivered by a messenger with a note verbale, explaining the reasons of the trip (including private trips) signed and approved by the organisation, where he is holding his political position.

As a courtesy between governments, all such visa-applications are free of charge.

Should he be requested to show up personally, an appointment with a senior diplomat will be arranged in advance.

Something wrong with the whole story.

No Thai senator with a valid diplomatic passport would line up with ordinary Thai applicants at any embassy. No need to line up with the own ordinary Thai people.....

Diplomatic passports are delivered by a messenger with a note verbale, explaining the reasons of the trip (including private trips) signed and approved by the organisation, where he is holding his political position.

As a courtesy between governments, all such visa-applications are free of charge.

Should he be requested to show up personally, an appointment with a senior diplomat will be arranged in advance.

I agree that there is something strange with this story as VIPs certainly get special treatment, although senators surely would not qualify for diplomatic passports.By the way, my note verbale to Yaohan would be a polite request to explain his previous post since it's not clear what point he was trying to make (e.g the typically mad quote from Mahathir etc)

IMHO it's all a money and status thing. This guy's probably rolling in it, and he expects that to count for something when he visits the Brit Embassy and wants to fast track a visa application, like he would a building permission application a the local council. When it doesn't jibe, he gets pissed off and wants to take it out on the farang population in general (i.e. spoilt brat mentality).

for those that have local memories going back pre-97 crash, there were lots of instances back then of irrational bravado getting the better of overnight millionaires. One example that sticks firmly in my mind was a very strange editorial in the B. Post (p'raps in 96), that likened Britain to a third rate failed empire going to the dogs, that would pretty soon lag behind Thailand economically, which was doing 8-10 % growth a year, while UK languished with 1-3 %. The author showed his true colours with a statement to the effect of "The farang is useful to us in some ways, but very boring and expendable". Unfortunately, he forgot to consider the little factor of sustainability of that growth.

I heard something on FM107 last week, the gist of it was uni students could go to Oz on working hols next? year. They must have a degree!

The rest is a bit fuzzy..... :o

It is a two way thing. Oz kids can work in LOS as well, but the political heavies are trying to sort out the Thai work permit obstacle to the smooth running of the proposal.

The problem is that the Thai citizens seem to overstay abroad. A lot.

Really George? If this is correct I am completely wrong in the basis for my argument for reciprocal visa arrangements.Any hard evidence however because on an anecdotal basis overstaying Thais are not a great problem, in the UK at least?

Trust in the oracle George. Thai's are noted overstayer's in most countries. Mind you. the biggest number of overstayer's in Australia, are the Brits.

for those that have local memories going back pre-97 crash, there were lots of instances back then of irrational bravado getting the better of overnight millionaires. One example that sticks firmly in my mind was a very strange editorial in the B. Post (p'raps in 96), that likened Britain to a third rate failed empire going to the dogs, that would pretty soon lag behind Thailand economically, which was doing 8-10 % growth a year, while UK languished with 1-3 %. The author showed his true colours with a statement to the effect of "The farang is useful to us in some ways, but very boring and expendable". Unfortunately, he forgot to consider the little factor of sustainability of that growth.

Yes, remember that well. Can't quite remember how many baht to the pound at that time, but sure as h*ll wasn't at the same level as today.

They seem to have conveniently forgotten (as is the Thai way) exactly where the 97 Asian crash started, and what...or who the cause was!!

IMHO it's all a money and status thing. This guy's probably rolling in it, and he expects that to count for something when he visits the Brit Embassy and wants to fast track a visa application, like he would a building permission application a the local council. When it doesn't jibe, he gets pissed off and wants to take it out on the farang population in general (i.e. spoilt brat mentality).

Spot on, this is exactly what happened. If he was a senator from the north east, he is used to being a "Phu Yai", and can't stand it when he is told to stand in line with everyone else.

The fact that visitors to the UK from Singapore, Brunei and Malasia have visa free access, but visitors from other countries in ASEAN do not, just might have something to do with the facts of those three countries former connections to Britain, and the fact that they are members of the Commonwealth.

I think Yohan knows what he is talking about. It seems to me that most of the posts on this thread show a lot about the poster's attitude to Thai "important persons" and British embassy officials. Until we find out why the senator was refused a visa, it is all speculation (and a few trolls, I suspect).