Authorities Monitoring Northern Air Pollution

webfact

image.png

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has indicated that the northern region of Thailand is expected to experience air pollution levels exceeding safety limits, and will remain under close surveillance until February 19.

Recent readings from the Center for Air Pollution Mitigation (CAPM) found unhealthy levels of PM2.5 across 24 provinces, including the capital Bangkok, Chiang Rai, Sukhothai, Khon Kaen and Chaiyaphum.

The PCD’s air quality and noise pollution control unit has warned that haze conditions in the north will likely persist over the next four days. It added that the agency will continue to monitor the situation closely until Sunday (19 Feb).

Nonetheless, the unit assured that Bangkok’s air quality will likely improve today and tomorrow, due to southern gusts and heavy rain that are expected to disperse particulate matter throughout the vicinity. However, it warned that air quality could deteriorate again from Friday onwards.

Residents in areas with high amounts of accumulated airborne dust are urged to refrain from outdoor activities or to use personal protective equipment if possible. Those who exhibit any pollution-related health symptoms should consult a doctor.

Members of the public can meanwhile read the latest air pollution reports from across the Kingdom and in Bangkok from the websites “Air4Thai.com” and “airbkk.com”, which are also available in the mobile app format.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230215115509304

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is my fourth smoke season in Pua, northern Nan province. This is the earliest I've seen really bad air here with several days already of not being able to see the other side of a narrow valley. Yesterday it was possible to see the airborne haze above the road only 25 meters from our house. The Nan valley seems less impacted than most of the rest of northern Thailand and even with our recent bad air I can see other parts of northern Thailand with monitoring station readings 2-3 worse than our nearby stations. The mind boggles. Still we have not yet had a day like a couple of years ago when on a drive to Nan on the 101 the visibility was about 200 meters and the whole sky was a glowing dull yellow.

• Thumbs Up 1

TiT ,the tourist tax will most likely go to make the rich richer-as usual.

As I understand it,the large amount of sugar cane grown isn't just to keep the world's sweet tooth happy it's also grown for supposedly 'green' fuels so anyone complaining about pollution who also uses petrol with a high Ethanol content is contributing to the pollution.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, cmjl said:

As I understand it,the large amount of sugar cane grown isn't just to keep the world's sweet tooth happy it's also grown for supposedly 'green' fuels ...

Interesting point.  I found this, and others, in support:

Biofuel Production from Sugarcane in Thailand

Along similar lines: the clearing of large swathes of thickly vegetated land for short-lived solar panel farms - for the production of "green" electricity.

Turns out humans are mostly idiots.       

Living near a sugar mill I can tell you that 90 percent of the sugar cane is burnt but still nothing is done about it they can monitor all they like it's not going to improve until something concrete is done about it

• Thumbs Up 2