Judge says 'no mercy,' victim's families vent their anger as Buffalo mass shooter sentenced to life

Scott

image.png

Anger boiled over Wednesday as Buffalo mass shooter Payton Gendron was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility parole, with a judge telling the 19-year-old he deserved "no mercy" and a victim's family member lunging at him in the courtroom.

After hearing emotional statements from the families of the victims, Eagan imposed the mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole, saying, "Our characters are being tested, the future of our nation is at stake."

"There is no place for you or your ignorant, hateful and evil ideologies in a civilized society.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/buffalo-mass-shooter-payton-gendron-set-sentenced-life/story?id=97079974

abc.jpg

White supremacist Payton Gendron, who killed 10 Black people in a New York supermarket, was taken out of a courtroom after someone in the audience rushed at him.

The 19-year-old will have no chance of parole, meaning he will spend the rest of his life behind bars after the mass shooting in the city of Buffalo in May last year.

During an emotional sentencing hearing on Wednesday, relatives of his victims had a chance to confront him with the pain caused by his racist attack.

That anger briefly turned physical when he was charged at by a man in the audience, who was quickly restrained.

Courtroom footage shows officers bundling Gendron out of the room for his own safety while colleagues attempted to calm the situation.

Just put that defective piece of (insert word here) in the general population of just about any penitentiary he will be taken care of in short order im sorry but killing granny as she goes grocery shopping is just as cowardly and despicable as it gets it’s right up there with child rape he’s still facing federal charges maybe they will give the death penalty hope so!

• Like 2

I am kind of torn on this one.

Part of me wishes that New York still had capital punishment. A fitting end for this kind of crime. Plus, he wouldn't stay in the public eye and get undeserved publicity for the rest of his life. Just die unwanted and be forgotten.

Another part wishes for a long and unpleasant stretch of prison time. With inmates who are less than impressed with him. But realistically, once in prison he will probably be protected by OTHER idiot neo-nazis and be a hero to them. That feeds his ego and makes him a figure of admiration.  

Tough call. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I am kind of torn on this one.

Part of me wishes that New York still had capital punishment. A fitting end for this kind of crime. Plus, he wouldn't stay in the public eye and get undeserved publicity for the rest of his life. Just die unwanted and be forgotten.

Another part wishes for a long and unpleasant stretch of prison time. With inmates who are less than impressed with him. But realistically, once in prison he will probably be protected by OTHER idiot neo-nazis and be a hero to them. That feeds his ego and makes him a figure of admiration.  

Tough call. 

Not a tough call in the slightest stretch of imagination imo I as most would prefer the death penalty if not he will be entombed in prison for the rest of his miserable life soon forgotten at best looking over his shoulder most likely beeing pimped out buy some neonazi all the while being terrified that a person of color or just about anyone else will rip him bodily apart that’s best case for him Imo 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

This guy was looking pretty contrite, bordering on cowardly, during the sentencing.  He's going to have a lifetime in a prison that has a disproportionate number of Blacks.  He may very well be getting the death penalty just by getting a life sentence.

If that happens I shall shed not a tear. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If that happens I shall shed not a tear. 

Any sadness I have is for a society that can allow a young person's thinking to go so far astray and then allow him to have a gun.  Those assault-style guns need to be outlawed.

• Thumbs Up 2