Importing 'work In Progress' Cars Over 30 Years Old.

Hi - moving over there soon and trying to get some facts on that complex subject of bringing in cars or car parts.

I had an MG restoration business in the UK for many years and still play about with them now that I am 'retired'. I would like to carry on my hobby over there but everything I read suggests that there is no way of importing legally without paying a fortune in tax. As I wish to remain a free man it has to be legal but anyone know of any actual successes in bringing in 'work in progress' classic cars? The tax reduction with age listing on the customs website stop at 10 years old and mine are over 30 years; they are also completely unroadworthy and I assume [?] that the tax shown is for roadworthy cars.

Appreciate any advice or referrals

post-48414-1183375918_thumb.jpg

It Might come under as spare parts IF there is no complete car imported ie body/chassis with engine seperate BUT i'm only guessing you need to seek some proper advise on this. And i guess a 'tea fee' needed to the correct man

So what are you going to do with them when restored ??

Wont be able to road register or legally drive them.

Good point - that's the next problem

What's the situation regarding cars on foreign plates in Thailand?

Maybe sell them to the Japanese

There's a lot about living in Thailand I am looking 4wd to but no doubt a lot that will frustrate the hel_l out of me.

Who cares about legally driving here? Now I pay 100 baht every time they stop me, if i had no driving licence or my car isnt registered I will pay 200-300, so what the difference. I saw my good friend doing it here in BKK. Just put any Thai plates, they sell it to whoever ask.

hi,hdrider,

couldnt access this site. can you tell us what you know? want to get my "imported as spares" hog on ther road,too.

"spares" came in without tax/paperwork,(customs didn't see it in the container of used personal effects), and i will be building my own frame, but i would like to get it legal one day. seems you know something we don't......................please help.

frikkie

hi,hdrider,

couldnt access this site. can you tell us what you know? want to get my "imported as spares" hog on ther road,too.

"spares" came in without tax/paperwork,(customs didn't see it in the container of used personal effects), and i will be building my own frame, but i would like to get it legal one day. seems you know something we don't......................please help.

frikkie

Hi

I will PM you guys (1 more have asked) later today, i am a little busy right know, dont want to put it in here.

Later

just buy one in thailand, and restored your self, dont thinking about import !!!

(advice from former mg-b owner)

Thanks - good to know there are some there and if I simply wanted an MGB that would be the sensible choice.

There are very good reasons why I want to bring my own - anyway, life's too short to be sensible.

Who cares about legally driving here? Now I pay 100 baht every time they stop me, if i had no driving licence or my car isnt registered I will pay 200-300, so what the difference. I saw my good friend doing it here in BKK. Just put any Thai plates, they sell it to whoever ask.

I read if you have no plate its a small fine maximum.. if you have a fake or false plate you can get multi year jail term and big fine.. (tho asume money solves this)..

But more importantly you make a nice car invest the time and effort, and some Thai policeman takes a liking to it then there goes your car..