Jimmy Carter to begin receiving hospice care

Scott

president-jimmy-carter-1.jpg

Former US President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospice care, according to a statement from The Carter Center on Saturday.

“After a series of short hospital stays, former US President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team,” the statement said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/18/politics/jimmy-carter/index.html

CNN.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not confused at all.

"Carter took office during a period of "stagflation," as the economy experienced a combination of high inflation and slow economic growth." .......not mentioning the passive little weakling when it comes to the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Regan - A mediocre actor but not a puppet.

The puppet is something that is controlled by pulling strings. Who pulled Carter's strings?

Reagan's were obviously pulled by the wealthy. Tax cuts for the wealthy were massive. It was promised that they would pay for themselves via boosts to the economy which would generate increased tax revenue. Instead, big deficits f.ollowed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Not a great President but a good human being.

I don't know why he failed as president, but he's probably been the only "good" president that I know of.

I assumed he failed to be re elected because the Iran rescue was a shambles, but perhaps there was more to it than that.

I remember the publicity he got for his Playboy interview, and was surprised at the reaction to his "lust in my heart" comment.

Seems the US is OK with war, but not with a bit of lust.

• Thumbs Up 1

During the tumultuous time between Red and Yellow shirts, a good Thai friend made a comment that the PM of Thailand couldn't visit the NE, but a former US President could.  That was a reference to Jimmy Carter, who was building houses for Habitat for Humanity at the time.  

98 years is a long time. Even with helpful genes, you don't live that long unless you exhibit self control in your anger, diet, stress, and exercise. And those things come from maintaining a good relationship with the people around you and faith in something other than your own self interest. Those are all tangible virtues. That made Jimmy Carter a living testimony to a virtuous life. Happy to say that I was one of the first people to sign up for Carter when his campaign was just getting started and was a Carter delegate in 1976.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I assumed he failed to be re elected because the Iran rescue was a shambles, but perhaps there was more to it than that.

Iran and Ted Koppel going on air every night leading with the Iran Hostage Crisis Day (fill in the blank). Compound that with inflation continuing to go out of control and Carter had a problem. And if Carter had one personal flaw that contributed to his defeat it was his tendency to micromanage. He would get himself involved in every issue and political battle. It hurt him in his own party. People forget that the person who most damaged Carter in 1980 and sank his chances was Ted Kennedy. There were other things too such as the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in 1979. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, placeholder said:

The puppet is something that is controlled by pulling strings. Who pulled Carter's strings?

Reagan's were obviously pulled by the wealthy. Tax cuts for the wealthy were massive. It was promised that they would pay for themselves via boosts to the economy which would generate increased tax revenue. Instead, big deficits f.ollowed.

I thought the post was about Carter? Why do you constantly bash Reagan?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, dingdongrb said:

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not confused at all.

"Carter took office during a period of "stagflation," as the economy experienced a combination of high inflation and slow economic growth." .......not mentioning the passive little weakling when it comes to the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Regan - A mediocre actor but not a puppet.

His best role ever was as an President! 

I think probably the man witn the highest personal moral standards but unquestionably one of the poorest performing presidents.

It has been conjectured that Carter had one of if not the highest IQ's but lacked insight and common sense. 

Carter was a person who has high idealistic objectives and failed miserably in executing a policy to make them a reality. 

His presidency can be best captured by his attempted rescue of hostages in Iran. It was a noble mission not well thought out and executed poorly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2023 at 9:58 AM, pegman said:

A great and decent man. One of the few American presidents who didn't get his country involved in foreign wars. The corporate media hated him for that. I always thought Reagan and the mad mullah had a secret deal that wouldn't see the hostages released until after the election. 

A decent man who obviously thought he can have his word in leading his country onto the right path. Then - as few others too - will realize that's an impossible task. 

Unfortunately, he did not avoid waging few (unofficial) wars: in Centre America, in Middle East.  

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I thought the post was about Carter? Why do you constantly bash Reagan?

Because you claimed that Carter was a puppet but offered no evidence. So I thought it would be an educational experience for you to acquaint yourself with what a flagrant political puppet actually looks like.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because you claimed that Carter was a puppet but offered no evidence. So I thought it would be an educational experience for you to acquaint yourself with what a flagrant political puppet actually looks like.

Sadly the only experience you provided me was a reminder that everyone has their own opinion about anything. Thanks for sharing yours.

Why are so many people talking about him in the past tense.  He's still alive.

I had an aunt who was put in hospice care.  6 months later, they took her out of hospice care.  She lived several more years.  I believe she was 96 or 97 when she died.   

1 minute ago, Credo said:

Why are so many people talking about him in the past tense.  He's still alive.

I had an aunt who was put in hospice care.  6 months later, they took her out of hospice care.  She lived several more years.  I believe she was 96 or 97 when she died.   

I believe he was a president, not anymore ????????

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:26 PM, Longwood50 said:

I think probably the man witn the highest personal moral standards but unquestionably one of the poorest performing presidents.

It has been conjectured that Carter had one of if not the highest IQ's but lacked insight and common sense. 

Carter was a person who has high idealistic objectives and failed miserably in executing a policy to make them a reality. 

His presidency can be best captured by his attempted rescue of hostages in Iran. It was a noble mission not well thought out and executed poorly. 

Please don't blame Carter for the failure of the mission. The military ultimately must take the blame as they are the ones that carried it out, and they certainly had bad luck with the sandstorm etc.

At least he tried to do something short of declaring war on Iran. I can think of a certain president that allowed "red lines" to be crossed with no response.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 3:14 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Please don't blame Carter for the failure of the mission

Well Harry Truman said:  The Buck Stops Here

If it had gone well, he would have been lauded as commander in chief.

As said, he probably was one of if not the smartest presidents but despite that one of the most innefective.  The rescue was just like the remainder of his presidency.  Good intentions with poor execution. 

8 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Well Harry Truman said:  The Buck Stops Here

If it had gone well, he would have been lauded as commander in chief.

As said, he probably was one of if not the smartest presidents but despite that one of the most innefective.  The rescue was just like the remainder of his presidency.  Good intentions with poor execution. 

It's pretty rare that I agree with you ... Oh, wait, I NEVER agree with you, until now. ????

I remember Carter and that time when he served.  A very nice, kind person, but nothing seemed to work out the way it was supposed to.