Citizenship For Baby Born In Thailand To American Male And Thai Woman

damian5000

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=10...p;lastnode_id=0

Here it states that as long as I'm American and lived in America for at least 5 years the baby automatically gains American citizenship (assuming we are married or that I sign a sworn statement promising financial support)

But here:

http://ap.grolier.com/article?assetid=0095...le/article.html

It states "American citizenship at birth is gained primarily jure soli"... Unless the baby is born to 2 American parents. I notice it says "primarily" here, which brings up all sorts of questions like is everything2.com correct? (which I'm hoping)

Does anyone know the truth to the situation? Would prefer to hear from those who are American and actually have gone through the experience of having a baby in Thailand, but anyone with solid knowledge on the subject would love to hear from...

Appreciate the time...

-Damian

I am totally unqualified to answer your questions (I am not American for a start) but I think it would be useful to clarify :

You are an American citizen ?

Your child was or is to be born in Thailand ?

You are legally married or not to the mother of your child ?

You intend to/have had yourself named as father on the birth certificate ?

if the child is born in thai he is a thai or a luu krung, if hes born in USA he is american,. have to contact the US embassy if you want him to be a citizen and follow the steps neccessary goodluck.

I am totally unqualified to answer your questions (I am not American for a start) but I think it would be useful to clarify :

You are an American citizen ?

Your child was or is to be born in Thailand ?

You are legally married or not to the mother of your child ?

You intend to/have had yourself named as father on the birth certificate ?

Yes, born in America and lived there mostly my entire life.

For this question, I'm assuming the baby will be born in Thailand. We are going to do our best to get the mother to America for the birth, but not sure how this will play out.

Currently, not married but it is in the works.

ABSOLUTELY. This is my baby and I take full responsibility.

To Dragonquest: Being that the baby is born to an American citizen, this will make the steps required considerably more easy than say trying to get my girlfriend(wife to be) citizenship, correct???

If you are a U.S citizen and you are listed as the father on the child's birth certificate your child will be a U.S. citizen .This has been the case for many years:even my father born in Belgium back in the 1920's became a citizen through his father. Over the year's since then the residence requirements for one citizen parent were enacted .You must bring the child and his/her's birth certificate to the U.S. Embassey along with proof of your citizenship.Best also to bring a marriage certificate, although I am not completely certain that one is required since there are provisions for illegitamate children but I suspect it might speed the process. Go to the small waiting room for U.S. citizen's to the right as you enter the building and not the long line/cue for noncitizen's. At the same time apply for a passport for your child. If you do not meet the residencey requirements your child can still be a U.S. citizen under the Chidren's Citizenship Act of 2000 if there is a U.S. citizen grandparent who does.I have a 4 y/o daughter (and thai wife) born in BKK.It's a one day /maximum 2 day wait to get the passport. I would suggest that you might also want to consider applying for a Thai passport as well.Those many who do, do not tell the U.S. Embassey and the Thai government will not inform them. Get the U.S. passport 1st. Don't worry ! Best regards,Bill

Awesome. Thank you for your time everyone! I DID actually do a search here for a prior thread but couldn't find anything like the one that was bumped, probably because I used "citizenship + baby" (which produced an error for some reason, retried this several times). The guy in the first thread used the word "children"...didn't think to try that word :o

• 3 weeks later...

Made my child (4 months) a US Citizen last week. Drove the family to Bangkok - brought birth certificate and marriage certificate to the Embassy along with copies and supporting material - pictures etc ..

1 hour interview - citizenship and a passport.

Go to the embassy website, and follow the instructions.

Made my child (4 months) a US Citizen last week. Drove the family to Bangkok - brought birth certificate and marriage certificate to the Embassy along with copies and supporting material - pictures etc ..

Just a small technicality, but you did not make your child a citizen, you reported the birth of an American citizen abroad.

TH

Just a small technicality, but you did not make your child a citizen, you reported the birth of an American citizen abroad.

TH

A small, small technically, If you got your child a U.S. Passport, She/He is a U.S. Citizen, period.