Florida bill would give DeSantis more power over state universities and ban gender studies

Scott

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Better have your papers in order or DeSantis might send you off the flippin' Martha's Vineyard.

Don't worry, my papers are OK. The thing is that the "other side" wants your papers and everything else in their disposal 24/7 and if you say smth they don't like - you'll dream about Martha's Vineyard ????

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

In the grand scheme of trash talking conservatives to some how link them to the 30’s and 40’s Germany is always expected and is a euphemism used by people to demean others similar to the term white supremacist and racist are being used  so broadly to describe conservatives who disagree with liberals on particular cultural  topics imop .Ive seen this a lot over the years . 

He and the members of the legislature got elected by the people of Florida.What he has proposed goes to the law makers(legislators )to consider in both houses!  This  quote below from the Cnn article is basically what the left is upset about  imop .

Thats the beauty part of living in the USA , not every state  such as Fla practices or conforms to a liberal ideological curriculum..Some states have a different approach.

“The state’s education department characterized the move as a rejection of “‘woke’ diversity, equity and inclusion [and] critical race theory ideologies.”

Its a very divided topic according to this poll ! 

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/5/3/23055884/critical-race-theory-schools-polling

I especially like your statement that's the beauty of living in different states well if the star of your party has her way (mtg) any democrat moving to a Republican state should have the right to vote removed for 5 years true democracy ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the case of Ronnie DeSantis or (debloatus) given enough rope to hang himsielf comes to mind espousing ignorance is never a good course of action hopefully he’s flushed before he ruins the educational system in Florida 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ViajeroLA said:

Don't worry, my papers are OK. The thing is that the "other side" wants your papers and everything else in their disposal 24/7 and if you say smth they don't like - you'll dream about Martha's Vineyard ????

Odd thing to say in a thread discussing DeSantis’ moves to cancel things he doesn’t like hearing about.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds good to me.

That's democracy in action. If people don't like it they can get a more amenable government elected next time.

You aren’t American nor do you have kids in what used to be Floridas education system to get dummed down and stunted in their world view willful ignorance is not a good thing nor does it help America grow into a more egalitarian and inclusive society 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, LOL. Germany didn't have a constitution and a SCOTUS to prevent Hitler doing that. It's a false equivalence.

Pre-War Germany had both a Constitution (Die Verfassung des Deutschen Reichs) and a Supreme Court (Reichsgericht).

Both annulled by the ‘enabling act’ (Ermächtigungsgesetzof 1933.

I suggest a little more reading to make up for what you clearly missed out on sometime over the years.

• Like 1

Uni s teaching things you actually need ... go figure.

Do people at a uni level need to know, some people have more skin pigmentation that others.  Isn't that HS biology class, far 1 day maybe.

Also HS level should have taught, all nationalities when immigrating centuries ago faced challenges.

Or taught men and women man have sex with other consenting adults, that may or may not be with the opposite sex, or with both, or not at all.

Are these skill sets needed in the corporates world.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Uni s teaching things you actually need ... go figure.

Do people at a uni level need to know, some people have more skin pigmentation that others.  Isn't that HS biology class, far 1 day maybe.

Also HS level should have taught, all nationalities when immigrating centuries ago faced challenges.

Or taught men and women man have sex with other consenting adults, that may or may not be with the opposite sex, or with both, or not at all.

Are these skill sets needed in the corporates world.

The purpose of universities is not simply to provide skills required by the Corporate World, which didn’t even exist for centuries after Universities were first founded.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ViajeroLA said:

I never lived in the US and can't call myself a conservative etc, but I must say DeSantis is the man! Never seriously considered moving to FL before recently but since 2021 or smth I am ????

Trump and DeSantis WOW what a team that would make!!! When we make America great again we make the world great again.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1