Florida bill would give DeSantis more power over state universities and ban gender studies

Scott

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Exactly. 

Liz Cheney is a conservative. Very conservative.

The magas are most definitely fascist demagogues.

Marjorie Taylor Greene and Tucker Carlson are the nativist isolationist Henry Fords and Charles Lindberghs of this era. Substitute Putin for Hitler and you've got the whole story. 

I disagree with your examples of Ford and Lindbergh both were people of their times and expressed racist attitudes and isolationism but both contributed greatly to the American experience in very positive and creative ways both contributed greatly to the defeat of the fascist regimes.now in the case of marge and tucker both are a very corrosive ignorant backward destructive force in America im hoping and praying that fake Fox News pays a heavy price for the damage they have done and lose their powers to back the worst in American politics 

• Like 1

The Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is slated to open this week in Maryland with Donald Trump, his son Don Trump Jr. and other allies of the former president being handed key speaking spots as attention turns to who will get the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.

One person who won't be there making their case before the assembled conservative activists is Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) who is ducking out on attending due to having other plans.

According to former GOP campaign consultant Rick Wilson, DeSantis' non-appearance at such a important stop for GOP hopefuls is a tip-off that he is not ready for prime time and, as he said on MSNBC on Sunday morning, he appears to be "running away like a scalded dog."

https://www.rawstory.com/ron-desantis-2024-2659469816/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tug said:

I disagree with your examples of Ford and Lindbergh both were people of their times and expressed racist attitudes and isolationism but both contributed greatly to the American experience in very positive and creative ways both contributed greatly to the defeat of the fascist regimes.now in the case of marge and tucker both are a very corrosive ignorant backward destructive force in America im hoping and praying that fake Fox News pays a heavy price for the damage they have done and lose their powers to back the worst in American politics 

Ford and Lindbergh were active admirers of Nazis and Hitler and both were vile antisemites. They actively tried to get Americans to not support getting involved in WW2 just as Carlson and MTG work to get American support to cut off arms help Ukraine. Both indulge in antisemitic tropes. All four relate to America First which is historically an American white nationalist fascist slogan.

I agree Ford was a great industrialist and Lindbergh an aviation hero.

But their politics were fascist.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The statistics of the imbalance of employment in proportion to populations is proof.

Correlation does not prove causation.  You don't know that just because there are disproportionately less of a certain race in a certain job that it is down to racism of the recruiters.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Correlation does not prove causation.  You don't know that just because there are disproportionately less of a certain race in a certain job that it is down to racism of the recruiters.

It's either an imbalance of opportunity or racism, there aren't any other possibilities I can think of.

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The widespread existence of diversity programs demonstrates acceptance of the problem and is more proof.

This also in no way proves racism in the selection process.

1. Because people may simply be caving to social pressure and not agree with any of it.

2. Because you could easily say that the diversity programs help people who don't have a chance to get through the selection process due to other challenges related to race, not people who are being rejected because of racism.

You have in no way proved racism in the selection process.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

This also in no way proves racism in the selection process.

1. Because people may simply be caving to social pressure and not agree with any of it.

2. Because you could easily say that the diversity programs help people who don't have a chance to get through the selection process due to other challenges related to race, not people who are being rejected because of racism.

You have in no way proved racism in the selection process.

The "other challenges" are also because of racism. Lack of equal opportunity. Endemic poverty and socioeconomic inequality. There simply hasn't been enough time or effort since 1964 to correct these imbalances.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, ViajeroLA said:

Don't worry, my papers are OK. The thing is that the "other side" wants your papers and everything else in their disposal 24/7 and if you say smth they don't like - you'll dream about Martha's Vineyard ????

I've lived in Martha's Vineyard... More of a nightmare than a dream.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Ford and Lindbergh were active admirers of Nazis and Hitler and both were vile antisemites. They actively tried to get Americans to not support getting involved in WW2 just as Carlson and MTG work to get American support to cut off arms help Ukraine. Both indulge in antisemitic tropes. All four relate to America First which is historically an American white nationalist fascist slogan.

I agree Ford was a great industrialist and Lindbergh an aviation hero.

But their politics were fascist.

I agree with you,but that beeing said after it hit the fan both men turned their considerable talents to defeating the fascist forces but yea I agree especially in the case of Ford I don’t know about Lindbergh in later life if he enlightened his views I hope he did and blessings to you and yours 

18 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

It has harsh Winters as I grew up across from P town and upon HS headed for California warmth

I have such wonderful memories of Ptown as you might imagine.

I used to prize my Cafe Blase t shirt.

Yes Massachusetts winters do inspire many a move to Cali.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

It has harsh Winters as I grew up across from P town and upon HS headed for California warmth

Nah, grew up in eastern Massachusetts.  We loved winter—snow days, sliding, skiing and skating.  Now Thailand, for warmer weather, beaches and sailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Of course you dress warm, Winter activities are awesome. Ice sliding in my sports car sucks

Yup, I did some snow sliding (spin out) and ice skating (kissed an interstate guardrail in my unheated TR-4).  Those were the days….

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Children Are Not Property

The idea that underlies the right-wing campaign for “parents’ rights.”

The architects of state bans on gender-affirming care for minors say, falsely, that children are at risk from predatory physicians and activists. A “gender cult” destroys families, claimed conservative commentator Matt Walsh. The real sin isn’t that trans youth will suffer but that the parental grip might loosen.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/04/children-are-not-property.html

The Spanish American Inquisition has started.

Missouri House Republicans vote to defund public libraries

https://www.rawstory.com/missouri-house-republicans-defund-public-libraries-report-2659837053/

A Brief History of Book Burning, From the Printing Press to Internet Archives

As long as there have been books, people have burned them—but over the years, the motivation has changed

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/brief-history-book-burning-printing-press-internet-archives-180964697/