10 year warranty but have stopped making the parts

seajae

We bought a large 2 door Samsung fridge  6 or so years ago and it came witha 10 year warranty on the compressor. Unfortunately the compressor needs to be replaced but my wife was told they no longer make them so will not be able to fix it leaving us with a fridge that doesnt work but still has s a few years to run on the warranty, The question is with the warranty still in effect are we entitled to it being repaired or if they cant repair it should they replace it, Samsung is a big company world wide so you would expect good back up service but being Thailand can make it a problem as I doubt they will want to do anything that would be a financial loss to them so dont really know where we stand, anyone have any idea of what can be done id all they will say is no longer make a replacement compressor, bad luck and refuse to honor the warranty. Mods, if wrong topic please move

• Like 1

I have the same issue. I have a huge double door Samsung fridge in perfect working condition with the exception of a 1000 baht damper motor that regulates the airflow and temperature between the freezer and fridge side. 

All my vegetable freeze when the motor seizes and Samsung stopped making the part.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

thanks everyone, we did try to have it repaired by the seller but they told us that Samsung no longer make the compressors for our model even though it is no where near 10 years old, go figure.

Have you done your own search for the compressor on Amazon etc? 

Am I right in thinking that it is the Samsung company itself that offers the warranty and that the store selling the product is effectively their agent?

A customer is asking the store, to refer the matter to Samsung who honour their warranty in some compensatory way to customer and the store?

Perhaps it is a good lesson for all Samsung buyers, fridge or TV. 
I never buy Korean products, no matter what it is. Same story after warranty is over (TVs). If warranty is long and a common problem detected they easily discontinue the production line and parts support, easy to get rid of. 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:43 PM, n00dle said:

I have the same issue. I have a huge double door Samsung fridge in perfect working condition with the exception of a 1000 baht damper motor that regulates the airflow and temperature between the freezer and fridge side. 

All my vegetable freeze when the motor seizes and Samsung stopped making the part.

Samsung are fine for smartphones, but for electrical items, fridges, microwaves etc, they are best avoided.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, seajae said:

have contacted Samsung and ae waiting on a reply, hopefully we will actually get some sort of action and not just the usual thai way of ignoring it

Samsung actually have service centres.  There is one in Phuket.  Years ago I had problems with a twin tub.  I just took it to the service centre along with a copy of warranty.

They fixed it free of charge...and the problem was actually one of my girlfriends little socks..had come out of the spin dryer and foul underneath in the spinning parts.

Handed the machine back over to us, all  cleaned, and with new lint filters, and the GFs sock in a zip lock bag.

Just find out where the closest service centre is and then take it there along with your sales receipt and warranty docs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

Perhaps it is a good lesson for all Samsung buyers, fridge or TV. 
I never buy Korean products, no matter what it is. Same story after warranty is over (TVs). If warranty is long and a common problem detected they easily discontinue the production line and parts support, easy to get rid of. 

The dual Samsung LED monitors I am currently staring at are 15 years old and (touch wood) still working as well as day one.  The twin tub I referred to in the post above is still going strong also about the same vintage.  Just last week I replaced the drive belt on the main tub.  It was 32 baht on shopee.  The steel frame around the plastic tub is all be rusted away.  But it is still pluggin on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:
  1. Samsung washer, ac I’ve bought 8 years and still going…

Right, washers less problems and reasonable prices, but others that are involved with more electronics circuitry such as TVs (they get buyers by great image, but poor electronics design).  
I had worked with well known authorized dealers in the US for more than 20 years. 
perhaps I'll buy Samsung or LG washer only, nothing else. 

5 hours ago, chilly07 said:

we had a broken thermostat it was cheaper to buy a new fridge

Sometimes cost of repair by local repair guys (if there is any around) is much cheaper than by authorized dealer. It depends on the problem, but minor parts could be provided by those locals as well. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:39 PM, seajae said:

thanks everyone, we did try to have it repaired by the seller but they told us that Samsung no longer make the compressors for our model even though it is no where near 10 years old, go figure.

Then they should either refund you the cost or replace it with a newer one.

IMO they are taking the p...!

On 2/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, The Theory said:

Right, washers less problems and reasonable prices, but others that are involved with more electronics circuitry such as TVs (they get buyers by great image, but poor electronics design).  
I had worked with well known authorized dealers in the US for more than 20 years. 
perhaps I'll buy Samsung or LG washer only, nothing else. 

Had a Panasonic washing machine for 10 years, no problem.