Stay in a province other than the province of residence for one month

Since local immigration offices tend to run fast and loose with interpretation of the rules, you may get more relevant advice if you can name the two immigration offices that may have an interest in your movements. That also helps if your 'home' jurisdiction is one of those that demands you "check-in" with them once you return home. Some (but not all) of them don't care if you are returning to your 'registered' residence.

I can offer that hotels will normally do the reporting of your presence in a different province. It can get a bit convoluted with smaller provincial hotels or if you're staying at a friends home or a rental property. However, the immigration police of the province you are visiting are unlikely to worry about your movements as much as the ones at your home base.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since local immigration offices tend to run fast and loose with interpretation of the rules, you may get more relevant advice if you can name the two immigration offices that may have an interest in your movements. That also helps if your 'home' jurisdiction is one of those that demands you "check-in" with them once you return home. Some (but not all) of them don't care if you are returning to your 'registered' residence.

I can offer that hotels will normally do the reporting of your presence in a different province. It can get a bit convoluted with smaller provincial hotels or if you're staying at a friends home or a rental property. However, the immigration police of the province you are visiting are unlikely to worry about your movements as much as the ones at your home base.

Home residence in Phuket. Condo stay visiting friend one month in Hua Hin.

Felt

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You do nothing.

You are not changing address.

I live in Bangkok and stayed on Koh Samed for 8 months during covid.

If you are away from home province when 90 report is due then just do it online or via mail. 

Unless ur in Phuket>
friend of mine spent 2 weeks in the Novotel ( who registered him staying there)  in Bangkok to take care of his wife in a hospital 
on returning and then 3 weeks later, went in to do his 90 day report an was told he was no longer registered there>  so had to file a new tm 30 in Phuket

go figure

Edited by zzzzz

19 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Unless ur in Phuket>
friend of mine spent 2 weeks in the Novotel ( who registered him staying there)  in Bangkok to take care of his wife in a hospital 
on returning and then 3 weeks later, went in to do his 90 day report an was told he was no longer registered there>  so had to file a new tm 30 in Phuket

go figure

Think CM also make their own rules. 

So as with many things it's up to the immigration offices.

Some of which do not follow the clear rules relating to TM30 requirements. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

According to the rules (June 2020) for doing a TM30 report a new one is not required unless you change the registered address that immigration has.

It was this rules I had in mind but as many posters say interpretation of the rules varies from office to office so will go to Hua Hin Immigration tomorrow,

Felt

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please report back with HH update.

You are being generous stating that some immigration offices have different interpretations.

I prefer to call them rogue.

The rules are clear. Nothing to interpret. 

It's clear that (by the rules) you should not require a filing of TM30 in the OP you outline. 

I kind of agree with you.

But sometimes people see red when I see pink. One more practical example is the word "usual". Some take this word as having time meaning, some take it as having normalcy meaning. 

I don't know if I should just bow and say thanks, laugh or cry????????, but when I asked about the current regulations regarding the need or not to register address in a province outside the province of residence when staing for a shorter period of time, I got a blank expression back. Case closed. Now what I ended up with was 2 notifications of address in the passport. The one I previously had from Phuket and now one from Hua Hin. As I was never aware that I could have two addresses in Thailand, I asked if this was at all according to the book and was then almost laughed at with the message that many people have two addresses. Not only that, I got the message that I can also make a 90-day report in which of the two provinces I at that time stay. I don't know if this is completely in "accordance" and pass the ball over to "Ubonjoe" to ask what experience he have with this.

Felt

Edited by Felt 35
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I don't know if I should just bow and say thanks, laugh or cry????????, but when I asked about the current regulations regarding the need or not to register address in a province outside the province of residence when staing for a shorter period of time, I got a blank expression back. Case closed. Now what I ended up with was 2 notifications of address in the passport. The one I previously had from Phuket and now one from Hua Hin. As I was never aware that I could have two addresses in Thailand, I asked if this was at all according to the book and was then almost laughed at with the message that many people have two addresses. Not only that, I got the message that I can also make a 90-day report in which of the two provinces I at that time stay. I don't know if this is completely in "accordance" and pass the ball over to "Ubonjoe" to ask what experience he have with this.

Felt

You should not have made a TM30 to HH immigration.

You cannot have two addresses as your registered address for extensions and such.

If Phuket immigration is crazy enough to want you to make a TM30 there when you return then so be it, however it's not required by the rules since June 2020. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You should not have made a TM30 to HH immigration.

You cannot have two addresses as your registered address for extensions and such.

If Phuket immigration is crazy enough to want you to make a TM30 there when you return then so be it, however it's not required by the rules since June 2020. 

You are sure right in what you say however the form they handed me and I filed was TM28. 

Felt

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

TM28 is basically obsolete form.

As stated you could have ignored anything to do with HH immigration. 

Here's the thing...????interesting or maybe better said saddly...lawyers know, some foreigners know, but not the legislature????

Thailand to Relax Rules on T.M.30 Immigration Requirements - Tilleke & Gibbins

I was just at the Samut Prakan Immigration office a few days ago and the immigration officer told us we had to do update the TM30 any time we go to a hotel. We travel a lot and stay at hotels often in Bangkok and elsewhere and now to find out that that thing has to be updated all the time is a pain. Someone mentioned that that rule was changed in 2020. I guess Samut Prakan didn't get the message.

25 minutes ago, eddyod said:

I was just at the Samut Prakan Immigration office a few days ago and the immigration officer told us we had to do update the TM30 any time we go to a hotel

Just another rogue office.

"Ignorance is bliss" sadly in the mantra of many offices/officers. 

Yes the rules re TM30 were changed in June 2020 (hardly yesterday) .

Think it's point 2.2

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, eddyod said:

I was just at the Samut Prakan Immigration office a few days ago and the immigration officer told us we had to do update the TM30 any time we go to a hotel. We travel a lot and stay at hotels often in Bangkok and elsewhere and now to find out that that thing has to be updated all the time is a pain. Someone mentioned that that rule was changed in 2020. I guess Samut Prakan didn't get the message.

You can circumvent this issue by booking the accommodation in your Thai spouse name, assuming that your spouse is Thai.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

TM28 is basically obsolete form.

As stated you could have ignored anything to do with HH immigration. 

I live in an smaller apartment - hotel in Phuket and the landlord has now finally updated the computer system and have started register guests to Immigration online whether you rent for a longer period or just a night or two as a hotel guest, and when I came back at the weekend I got a print out of a slip where name, passport number and apartment name are noted. Is this good enough for immigration or do I still have to go to immigration with a stack of passport copies and T.M 30 to get  "receipt for notification" stapled in the passport?

Thanks

Felt

13 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I live in an smaller apartment - hotel in Phuket and the landlord has now finally updated the computer system and have started register guests to Immigration online whether you rent for a longer period or just a night or two as a hotel guest, and when I came back at the weekend I got a print out of a slip where name, passport number and apartment name are noted. Is this good enough for immigration or do I still have to go to immigration with a stack of passport copies and T.M 30 to get  "receipt for notification" stapled in the passport?

Thanks

Felt

Sorry but not going to read whole thread again.

You should not have done a TM30 at HH.

The new rules (June 2020) mean that you do not need to file a TM30 when you return to your place of residence.

However some immigration offices are not abiding to new rule.

Think CM is one.

Guess everyone needs to be aware of what their own immigration office requires.

In recent months I have been to various provinces and today back from Pattaya.

Few weeks ago Saigon 

etc etc.

A TM30 is not required when I return to Bangkok. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The new rules (June 2020) mean that you do not need to file a TM30 when you return to your place of residence.

Think CM is one.

Few weeks ago Saigon 

etc etc.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think CM is one.

Few weeks ago Saigon 

etc etc.

Just back from Immigration now and after presenting my passport and a copy of the apartment hotel's online registration to one of the Immigration's information volunteers, I was told that no other registration is necessary and he simply removed the previous notifications and inserted the last registration made by the apartment hotel I live.

Felt

• Thumbs Up 1