Free Breakfast!

warrima

I'm surprised the Thai staff didn't catch up with it. Some hotels are anal about collecting coupons or checking registers etc. Guess he was very confident so got away with it. Was the breakfast any good?

Edited by soi3eddie

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

But still a crime .... Not Cool

To be clear this is not my thoughts. The instance above i was replying to Upnotover. I dont think he intended to do this but when they waved him through a few times he went with the flow. Opportunistic. 

10 minutes ago, fdsa said:

now question yourself - was that project really that big and difficult so you had to pay him for all these 6 months

Nothing to do with me, im just one of the plebs. My only involvement is giving him a lift back home on occasion.  

But yes implementing a new ERP system in a 100 plus staff company with maybe 10,000 different parts numbers is a hugh task. 

Sure he was not Scottish?

Worked with Scottish offshore workers a few decades, and would not surprise me for one second! Anyway same Island if English!

Nothing I would have done without feeling ashamed of myself, and if my friend, I would have told him what a cheap <deleted> he was 

12 hours ago, warrima said:

As he was eventually leaving back to the UK he told me the above story and said he had took breakfast every day at the hotel for the previous 6 months. To prove it he asked me to join him on one of the last days and sure enough they ushered us in no questions, wai's all round - with him just saying - my colleague from UK.

Soooo, even though they never saw the OP before, he got allowed in as well, and they didn't ask what room he was staying in to be charged for it, or are they in the habit of allowing any one in for a free brekkie if with a guest?

BTW, I never got a wai from wait staff at a breakfast buffet. Is that what they do at expensive hotels?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooo, even though they never saw the OP before, he got allowed in as well, and they didn't ask what room he was staying in to be charged for it, or are they in the habit of allowing any one in for a free brekkie if with a guest?

BTW, I never got a wai from wait staff at a breakfast buffet. Is that what they do at expensive hotels?

I've had a few 'joiners' with me at my breakfast buffet!

• Haha 1

I go with victimless crime.

They're binning everything at the end of the buffet every day. His tiny bit of hard cantaloupe, room temperature noodles, and eggs fried hours before amounts to nothing.

But I had worse breakfast buffet conundrum on the other side of things recently.

I booked a room for a friend and paid extra for the breakfast since he's always skint. He didn't like it at all, being a PIA from way back.

He asked the desk clerk if he could donate his breakfast buffet every day to someone else "who needed it".

And then he hounded the desk clerk every afternoon to see if this noble wish had been carried out.  

Diplomatic response from the front desk:

"I think so. But I don't know."

• Sad 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Usually 2 people are allowed per room, so not really a surprise that bringing a friend to breakfast is no problem.

I think most of the times I get a wai, I definitely got one yesterday at the breakfast buffet at a 1500 baht per night hotel, so nothing fancy.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:33 AM, Operator2002 said:

Well, they didn't expect such an impudent and indecent behavior especially from wealthy farang ????

But the lack of control is not an excuse. So, both sides are guilty )

Yes, I also think that’s something which a Thai might not able to pull off.

It has happened a few times that I was asked by Thais, who were aware that I’ve lived in Thailand for years „at which hotel do you live?“. So for them it seemed normal that foreigners stay in hotels for years.

At some hotels all rooms come with breakfast included, in this case there are usually hardly any checks in place, and of course you get just waved through if they have seen you a few times.

8 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Usually 2 people are allowed per room, so not really a surprise that bringing a friend to breakfast is no problem.

I think most of the times I get a wai, I definitely got one yesterday at the breakfast buffet at a 1500 baht per night hotel, so nothing fancy.

If I was paying 1500 a night I'd expect a wai or two.

The buffets I used were payed for by person, and not included in the room charge. Had I brought a "friend", I'd have had to pay for two meals.