Where's the best land crossing to do a run from Phuket?

I'm open to staying somewhere new. What's the quickest way to do a land run from Patong area? Don't mind flying to another country and coming back through a land crossing either... like Laos, but I've done that a couple times in years past already. 

At the current time, the options from Phuket are not great. One option is to fly to Penang, and return by bus (through Sadao) or train (via Padang Besar with onward travel from Hua Hin to Phuket). I have seen reports that crossing from Ranong to the Grand Andaman Resort is possible, but only with a multiple entry visa (no visa exemption available for the return). That report was some time ago, and it would be worthwhile enquiring with local agents in Phuket who organise border runs to check the current status of the Ranong run which, if available, is the cheapest and most convenient option.

EDIT: This link might be helpful.

Edited by BritTim

I used to do my runs to Hat Yai and stay there a night (Kosit Hotel). Next morning drive to Pedang Besar, then return to Hat Yai, do some shopping on the market, and return to Patong. The whole trip took about 24 hours by car. It was about 20 years ago, nowadays I prefer my retirement extensions...

Edited by hkt83100