DNA tests

Gaccha

DNA tests

There are three clear reasons for DNA testing. One is the testing for possible medical complications from DNA, another is tracing related ancestry, and in finding geographical origins of DNA, and the other reason is predicting traits and appearances of the person, such as vulnerability to going bald, or possessing stagefright. 

There are the big three international DNA options: AncestryDNA, 23andMe, MyHeritage. AncestryDNA has by far the world's largest DNA repository. But MyHeritage is regarded as especially good for identifying the ancestry for Western Europeans. 23andMe has a particularly good ability to pinpoint exact geographical locations of DNA origins.

There are then Thai companies who offer DNA tests which can profile for medical complications and traits only. These companies sell their tests on Lazada.

All three of the big DNA repositories appear to restrict their sales from Thailand. Resellers do offer their products for sale in Thailand but the companies go to extraordinary lengths to try to prevent this, such as by deactivating the products with remote access.

Has anyone here, whilst living in Thailand, via a Thai address, successfully got a DNA test from the big three companies? 

I can understand there may be reluctance among ThaiVisa forum users since the DNA goes into police websites, and a depressingly high percentage of forum members may well wish to remain inconspicuous... when the police reopen cold cases. 

12 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I can understand there may be reluctance among ThaiVisa forum users since the DNA goes into police websites, and a depressingly high percentage of forum members may well wish to remain inconspicuous... when the police reopen cold cases. 

Where does that insight come from?

I am aware that there are criminal foreigners in Thailand. But is that a high percentage?

Personally I wouldn't use such "service" for the same reason that I never used facebook. I want my privacy - even without a criminal background. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where does that insight come from?

I am aware that there are criminal foreigners in Thailand. But is that a high percentage?

Personally I wouldn't use such "service" for the same reason that I never used facebook. I want my privacy - even without a criminal background. 

Does not matter if you do not use it. If in the event any bloodline family relative decides to put their info on there, you can be traced from that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rankric said:

Very true information. Familial DNA testing is cracking cold cases left right and centre, with the help of these services. 

Nothing wrong with criminal cases getting solved, I should think.