Automated passport control gates at Suvarnabhumi on departure?

About time the Thai immigration made automated gates for most travellers. Recently we went to Singapore, me on a British passport and GF on a Cambodian passport. All travellers have to fill in a free online form before entry with passport number, where staying etc. On arrival simply used one of the many automatic gates (there was only a handful of staffed desks). Zero queues and took just 15 seconds to enter. After that we both received Visit Pass emails welcoming us to Singapore and stating our length of permitted stay (me 90 days, her 30 days) with a link to extend stays if needed. Exit from the country was similarly easy. Thailand 4.0 anyone?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

About time the Thai immigration made automated gates for most travellers. Recently we went to Singapore, me on a British passport and GF on a Cambodian passport. All travellers have to fill in a free online form before entry with passport number, where staying etc. On arrival simply used one of the many automatic gates (there was only a handful of staffed desks). Zero queues and took just 15 seconds to enter. After that we both received Visit Pass emails welcoming us to Singapore and stating our length of permitted stay (me 90 days, her 30 days) with a link to extend stays if needed. Exit from the country was similarly easy. Thailand 4.0 anyone?

Singapore is light years ahead of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

There is little doubt that e gates for foreigners will be rolled out in many countries in the coming years. The traditional methods simply cannot handle the increase in tourist numbers.

Malaysia is doing it for many countries albeit a little clumsily at first with a requirement that you first register your biometrics. Australian entry and exit for example is a breeze for many countries (visa process aside).

USA still looks stuck in the old world but at least they have no immigration checks on exit. The US security check process is still a nightmare but their "approved traveller" process means that frequent travellers avoid the circus.

Baggage delivery seems to often be a problem at several airports. Not sure if it's a system or manpower issue.

Singapore sees its airport as a revenue hub and has always done what it can to compete with the more recent Middle Eastern entries (Dubai). There's no reason Bangkok or KL should not compete in the hub market going forward

• Thanks 1