Wi Fi connection

prfectswing

14 hours ago, transam said:

Do you have any Internet installed..? 

Yes, I have a 3BB Internet connection. The installed Wi Fi extenders are not sufficient to cover all rooms in my house. I believe to just buy another extender is not the solution. I would not an expert to come to my house and give some advice. 

6 minutes ago, prfectswing said:

Yes, I have a 3BB Internet connection. The installed Wi Fi extenders are not sufficient to cover all rooms in my house. I believe to just buy another extender is not the solution. I would not an expert to come to my house and give some advice. 

I have 3BB, using the router they supplied, and both 2.4 and 5 WiFi signals reach at least 30 metres around my home. I do have an Xaomi AC1200 booster to get a better 5Ghz signal to my Fire TV stick in my bedroom through several walls. Get 3BB to come out and re-set the router first, or you can do it yourself via 192.168.1.1 and put the user name & password shown on the bottom of the router.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prfectswing said:

That's strange, my house is 2 stories, concrete frame and floors, a 55 inch TV upstairs and one downstairs.

My PC and 3BB modem are on the ground floor too.

TV and iPhones work perfectly upstairs..

Pcmag speed test shows over 950 Mbps today......:stoner:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

That's strange, my house is 2 stories, concrete frame and floors, a 55 inch TV upstairs and one downstairs.

My PC and 3BB modem are on the ground floor too.

TV and iPhones work perfectly upstairs..

Pcmag speed test shows over 950 Mbps today......:stoner:

You would not get 950Mb/s on the WiFi though, only via a LAN cable.

I too have a similar house & set up to you, but the Smart TV & Fire Stick connect via the 5 GHz WiFi and, depending on where they are in the house, I can only get about 50Mb/s, and the same on my 2.4GHz phone.

My office PC & upstairs NUC use a LAN cable and, yes, 900ish. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You would not get 950Mb/s on the WiFi though, only via a LAN cable.

I too have a similar house & set up to you, but the Smart TV & Fire Stick connect via the 5 GHz WiFi and, depending on where they are in the house, I can only get about 50Mb/s, and the same on my 2.4GHz phone.

My office PC & upstairs NUC use a LAN cable and, yes, 900ish. 

My connection is 2.4GHz, I understand that although 5GHZ is faster, it has problems getting past sold building structure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As I have my chums LT on the desk I did a pcmag test on it together with my PC at the same time, I also used a LAN cable in the LT to see the difference. The router is a couple of foot away.

Supply is 3BB 1 GB... 

Download Mbps                              Upload Mbps

PC 1000MB LAN card              800                                         305

LT    100MB LAN card                52                                           50

LT    150MB    Wifi                      92                                            43

Disappointing for the laptop....????

12 minutes ago, transam said:

As I have my chums LT on the desk I did a pcmag test on it together with my PC at the same time, I also used a LAN cable in the LT to see the difference. The router is a couple of foot away.

Supply is 3BB 1 GB... 

Download Mbps                              Upload Mbps

PC 1000MB LAN card              800                                         305

LT    100MB LAN card                52                                           50

LT    150MB    Wifi                      92                                            43

Disappointing for the laptop....????

You could get 950Mb/s and faster from your laptop but is depends on a number of factors

Chipset used in Laptop wifi card type of router used and your Internet threashold

Here is a Tri-Band card that supports 2.4, 5 and 6GHz bands.

You can achieve maximum speeds of up to 2400 Mbps on 6Ghz and 5 GHz bands and up to 574 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.

https://techsphinx.com/wireless/laptop-wifi-cards/

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You could get 950Mb/s and faster from your laptop but is depends on a number of factors

Chipset used in Laptop wifi card type of router used and your Internet threashold

Here is a Tri-Band card that supports 2.4, 5 and 6GHz bands.

You can achieve maximum speeds of up to 2400 Mbps on 6Ghz and 5 GHz bands and up to 574 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.

https://techsphinx.com/wireless/laptop-wifi-cards/

The LT has 100 on cable and 150 on wifi, its cr_p. I have done a few speed software fiddling, doesn't make much difference.

The LT is a Lenovo ideapad 320, his very old Toshiba was a much faster LT, but it gave up..

9 minutes ago, transam said:

The LT has 100 on cable and 150 on wifi, its cr_p. I have done a few speed software fiddling, doesn't make much difference.

The LT is a Lenovo ideapad 320, his very old Toshiba was a much faster LT, but it gave up..

Similar reports on speed of ideapad 320 here

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebooks/Lenovo-Ideapad-320-15AST-Internet-Speed-Issues-Lan-and-Wireless/m-p/5071088

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Yes, I have read quite a lot trying to improve the thing. Problem is, my chum hasn't the foggiest notion how a PC works or to keep it clean and safe, even with my instructions, he was the same with his old Toshiba, a real nightmare to sort out.

There is no way I will enter into upgrading the thing, he hardly uses it, waste of time as he is not interested, but I enjoy the challenge of sorting it out when it does give up, something to do..... :stoner:

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys for all your input but my original question is still unanswered:  "I would need an expert to come to my house and give some advice. "

In other words: Does anyone know of an IT expert here in Hua Hin who could come to my house?