wonky router or hacking?

placeholder

I've been having problems with my http:/https: connections. (skype works just fine) Anyway, the name of my 2G channel seems to have been changed from Octopus-2G to just plain Octopus. Is my router breaking down? Can it spontaneously change the name of a channel? Or has it been hacked? Is this related to the fact that my http/https connection has been very irregular. Sometimes 0 bandwidth, sometimes slow, occasionally near normal.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Could you not just reset it to factory settings and set up again?

Also check if there are any firmware updates.

I guess I could but that would mean learning how to do it. I probably will have to do just that. Or call my ISP and ask them to deal with it. Anyway, don't you think it odd that my router would spontaneously rename a channel?

WiFi name can only be changed by admin, it is possible that your ISP changed all default WiFi names if they are controlling it. Always change local admin password and always customize your WIFI name. 
you can always find local admin login by typing 192.168.1.1 and then login by admin name and password. 
if what I said so far confused you then get technical help from your ISP and ask him to give you local admin name and password.

1 minute ago, RandiRona said:

WiFi name can only be changed by admin, it is possible that your ISP changed all default WiFi names if they are controlling it. Always change local admin password and always customize your WIFI name. 
you can always find local admin login by typing 192.168.1.1 and then login by admin name and password. 
if what I said so far confused you then get technical help from your ISP and ask him to give you local admin name and password.

The only name change was from Octopus-2G to Octopus. I do notice that apart from Octopus, my computer isn't finding any other 2G networks. That is a new development.

I may try your suggestion. Right now my mobile is providing a hotspot.

The local admin user id and password many times is on a sticker on the device if it is ISP provided. 
And, yes, the ISP can configure remotely on ISP devices, including updated firmware and configuration. 

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The only name change was from Octopus-2G to Octopus. I do notice that apart from Octopus, my computer isn't finding any other 2G networks. That is a new development.

I may try your suggestion. Right now my mobile is providing a hotspot.

There is a possibility that they upgraded from 2G to a better one so default WIFI host name was changed?

Is it an old router? My one has 2.4G and 5G.

Is it your own? or ISP's router?

What make and model?

If it is ISP's, and you are worried, maybe ask them to exchange or upgrade to a newer router. If it is faulty, it shouldn't cost anything.

Most modern routers are backwards compatible for older wifi standards.

At the very least, ask them if they can update the firmware and check it out.

As others have said, change default user name and password.

You can often  find "how to" videos on Youtube for many particular types of router.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Is it an old router? My one has 2.4G and 5G.

Is it your own? or ISP's router?

What make and model?

If it is ISP's, and you are worried, maybe ask them to exchange or upgrade to a newer router. If it is faulty, it shouldn't cost anything.

Most modern routers are backwards compatible for older wifi standards.

At the very least, ask them if they can update the firmware and check it out.

As others have said, change default user name and password.

You can often  find "how to" videos on Youtube for many particular types of router.

Thanks to you and everybody else for the advice. I do appreciate it.