California Weighs $360,000 in Reparations to Eligible Black Residents. Will Others Follow?

Scott

Hands Breaking Chain Links Freedom Design Hands in fists breaking a chain freedom concept design slavery reparations stock illustrations

California is moving closer to determining what eligible Black residents are owed for generations of discriminatory practices, a key step toward potentially becoming the largest US jurisdiction to pay out billions of dollars in reparations.

The California Reparations Task Force will meet over the next two days in Sacramento to assess how reparations should be distributed, which could include direct payments and investments in education, health care and homeownership for Black communities. The group is set to deliver its final recommendations to the state legislature by July 1 and it will be up to lawmakers to decide whether to adopt them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-03/california-weighs-360-000-in-reparations-to-each-black-resident?leadSource=uverify wall

Bloomberg.jpg

Don’t think it’s gonna fly first off those directly affected are long dead second it would be political harikari for any politician the majority would revolt and talk about inflation!nope ain’t gonna happen imo

And just how will they determine who gets how much? Not talking about right/wrong, but just administering it seems impossible... "direct payments"... for who? What if just moved to the state? If I'm 1/96th black, would I get 1/96 payment? All those find your roots DNA test kits would have a field day.... why just blacks? Argument could be made that native Americans had a worse experience... where is their pay? Same goes for Asian Americans, especially Chinese stock considering all the prohibitions, exclusions etc that were placed on them...

14 hours ago, Emster23 said:

And just how will they determine who gets how much? Not talking about right/wrong, but just administering it seems impossible... "direct payments"... for who? What if just moved to the state? If I'm 1/96th black, would I get 1/96 payment? All those find your roots DNA test kits would have a field day.... why just blacks? Argument could be made that native Americans had a worse experience... where is their pay? Same goes for Asian Americans, especially Chinese stock considering all the prohibitions, exclusions etc that were placed on them...

As I understand it, the payments would be made to those who are descendants of slaves.  So, if you are a black immigrant or somehow were descendant from a black free person who had no roots in slavery, you're not eligible.   

I think another problem is going to happen if the federal gov't ever decides to grant reparations.  Will people who received state reparations be eligible for a 2nd payment?   

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on reparations, but it should be noted that reparations were paid to slave owners who lost their slaves after the Civil War.