Can I stay in Thailand over 180 days if my trip spans two years? Nov '22 to June '23

Hi All, I hope this is a simple question.

I arrived in Thailand 22nd Nov 2022 with a 60 day visa obtained in the UK (I have a British passport). I extended it 30 days in BK, then recently did a border run to Singapore for an extra 45 days (I left Thailand for more than 48 hours), taking me to April 5th. I was told at immigration I can extend this another 30 days taking me to May 5th.

QUESTIONS, if I leave Thailand start of May, will immigration see that I've been in Thailand since November 22nd (even with the border run) and refuse entry? Or, given I entered in 2022 my time here in Nov and Dec don't count to my annual 180 day total and I can therefore stay here until the end of June if I wish.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

Edited by Liveveryday
  • Confused 1

The "180 day rule" is a guideline used by some immigration officials for determining if you are a "regular tourist" but it is not an official regulation. I would recommend that you not try for a visa exemption through an airport, in case you run into an official who does not like long stay tourists. Consider flying to Udon Thani, and doing a border bounce at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai.

Edited by BritTim

Hi, I wasn't thinking of asking for a visa exemption, just flying in and out of Thailand again before May 5th. If I did, they should give me 45 days on arrival as I'm I will have been in Thailand under 180 days in 2023, unless they decide that because I first entered Thailand 22nd November, that I've been here long enough already. That is my issue. I think I can stay longer, till June, but not sure if they will look at the total stretch of my time here since November and refuse me.

5 minutes ago, Liveveryday said:

Hi, I wasn't thinking of asking for a visa exemption, just flying in and out of Thailand again before May 5th. If I did, they should give me 45 days on arrival as I'm I will have been in Thailand under 180 days in 2023, unless they decide that because I first entered Thailand 22nd November, that I've been here long enough already. That is my issue. I think I can stay longer, till June, but not sure if they will look at the total stretch of my time here since November and refuse me.

Again, there is no 180-day rule. You are limited to two visa exemptions (what you refer to as "45 days on arrival") by land in a calendar year. By all means try leaving and returning to Thailand by air for a visa exemption rather than doing it by land. You will probably be lucky, but it involves an unnecessary risk.

Hi, thanks for the replies. It's starting to make more sense. If I'm allowed two visa exceptions by land, then it seems like I can enter Thailand again as I've already had one visa exception recently (flying to Singapore and back). Am I allowed two visa exceptions by air too? I'm guessing yes from the replies. Though I'm guessing the land border checks are more relaxed, hence the suggestion. How many days would I get on land, though? I've heard from some it can only be 15. Thanks again.

• Haha 1

45 days via land enter visa exempt till March 31.

After that will be 30 days 

Each entry visa exempt by land or air can be extended by 30 days.

Land visa exempt is limited to 2 per calendar year.

Via air visa exempt entries have no written limit but will have issues with continuous stays in Thailand.

Especially with only short periods out of Thailand.

There is NO 180 day rule anymore.

That has been pointed out several times. 

18 hours ago, Liveveryday said:

One last question. Where do most of you get your info on Thai entry/visa requirements? I find it's a bit of a maze out there. Thanks again.

That is a very good question. There is no single 100% reliable source. This forum is one of the best, although you need to figure out, from experience, which posters are predominantly accurate and which (the majority) sprinkle their posts with a lot of misinformation.

I think the most important advice I can give is which sources to not trust. Any official Thai website (including, notably, those of Thai embassies/consulates) should only be trusted, at most, on the services they provide themselves. The same goes for Thai officials. Most people assume that official websites and Thai officials must be the ultimate reliable source, but they are horribly unreliable on any matter that does not directly relate to the services they provide themselves. You should also be sceptical of what you read on commercial websites where the information is often grossly out of date or influenced by their own self interest.

When possible, ask the officials directly responsible for whatever you are looking for. For instance, if looking for a marriage extension at Nakhon Nowhere, visit the immigration office in advance, and try to get their list of requirements in writing, which may differ from that in other offices. (The requirements in Thai will be OK: just get them translated.)

• Thumbs Up 1