Graham says he will introduce bill to ‘set the stage’ for US to use military force in Mexico

Scott

SINALOA DRUG CARTEL 8X10 PHOTO MEXICO ...

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Monday said he was prepared to introduce legislation to “set the stage” for U.S. military force in Mexico, saying it was time to “get tough” on the neighboring country after four Americans were kidnapped by armed men this week.

Graham told Fox News host Jesse Watters that he would follow the advice of former President Trump on Mexico policy.

“I would put Mexico on notice,” Graham said. “If you continue to give safe haven to drug dealers, then you are an enemy of the United States.”

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3887479-graham-says-he-will-introduce-bill-to-set-the-stage-for-us-to-use-military-force-in-mexico/

The Hill.jpg

• Haha 1

Some steps to take before invading Mexico...

Strongly suggest countries not manufacture and supply precursors.

Target precursor manufacturers and shippers with sanctions.

Work with Mexican authorities to target the import of precursors into Mexico

Work with Mexican authorities to target the Jalisco and Sinoloa cartels' Fentanyl production facilities.

Pass S.4460. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/4460

It is important to remember that ~ 99% of illegal drugs smuggled from Mexico into the U.S. are consumed by United States citizens. Working to reduce "demand" should be, at the very least, as important as threatening Mexico?

Lindsey Graham is a showboat.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

Two things to take away from this.

1. Republics are itching to start another war.

2. The ammo manufacturers are struggling to make enough arms to keep Ukraine supplied (source: CNN TV just now) and another war is what the republkicans want to make it even harder for them to keep Ukraine supplied. 

Oh, one more thing. Bad Republicans. Bad. 

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

Great. The US can have another Iraq war right on its border. Except in this case it would be easy to put an end to. The narcotraficantess aren't fanatics. They're just greedy violent criminals.  If you want to kill the drug trade and impoverish the narcotraficantes, just decriminalize drugs. Take the profit out of it.

The scary thing is the targeting of young children with fentanyl laced candy.  More and more tragic incidents making the headlines.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And you think invading Mexico will put a stop to that? How does that work? Do you have any idea of how potent fentanyl and its various analogues are? How little it takes compared to heroin?

If you want to stop fentanyl overdose, decriminalize opioids. Once that's done, it should be easy to have product tested and certified. Not only is that approach more effective, but it's a lot cheaper and a lot less destructive than waging war.

No where in my post did I mention invading Mexico.  I simply stated how bad the problem is.  The pills are showing up in my community and local authorities are warning residents, especially those with children.  Here in Hawaii narcan is being made availible to all law enforcement and medical emergency services personnel.

And yes, I am well aware how potent fentanyl is.

Edited by Hawaiian
Add additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian said:

No where in my post did I mention invading Mexico.  I simply stated how bad the problem is.  The pills are showing up in my community and local authorities are warning residents, especially those with children.

But why reply to me? Since apparently you meant your post neither to be in contradiction nor in support of mine.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

The fentanyl situation is very bad indeed. 

I'm sure there is bipartisan support to combat it but saber rattling at Mexico is bound to backfire.

I think there is bipartisan support to take the same old ineffectual steps.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Now they the war on drugs has failed entirely, this idiot wants to start a war with the cartels in Mexico. I have a suggestion. Sacrifice your children and nephews, and grandchildren in this zany fantasy war of yours. Show us you are committed. 

Well, Lindsey could probably supply a stable of young men to fight, but they won't be his children or grandchildren, that's for sure.

• Like 1