Thai Central Bank issues new measures to deal with online banking scams

webfact

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Which was crazy from the start.

I am stunned they even do this ...

All reputable firms and banks in my experience tell clients they NEVER do exactly this ...

Wow! ...  ????

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Sweet.

The difference is I think that when a bank staff member is found doing something like that the bank will normally take responsibility and reimburse customers.

In Thailand there appear to have been mixed reports on that kind of accountability.

Eg. the case of bank staff in a Pattaya bank branch offering high interest rates but not actually registering the deposits.......Still not heard if that has been resolved for the depositors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BusyB said:

I am stunned they even do this ...

All reputable firms and banks in my experience tell clients they NEVER do exactly this ...

Wow! ...  ????

You answered your own statement.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

I used to have mobile banking apps on my phone until I read a column in the Wall Street Journal recently about how people are having their bank accounts raided by people after their iPhone is stolen. The iPhone's passcode is no obstacle as they have already acquired it prior to the theft and by the time you try and erase everything, you've been locked out of your iCloud account and Apple can't help. A couple of the victims featured had lost tens of thousands as I recall. Frightening.

Best not to use an iPhone then I guess.

13 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Best not to use an iPhone then I guess.

There is a way to protect against a thief getting into your iCloud account so that you can erase the phone before they rip you off. It's in the settings menu under "screentime." I suspect you're at more risk not using an iPhone but you're at no risk if you just don't tempt the devil. It's not like I'm doing high finance. 

On 3/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, Mad mick said:

How about getting Thai banks STOP stealing our money while out of the country For l

long periods ( NO OTHER BANKS IN WORLD DO THIS WITH MONEY STILL GOING IN ? )  Was regularly paying into via wise into my Thai bank account Only while in Vietnam presently discovering Kasikorn Bank Samui closed my account yet l had been putting just to keep it open $50 Australian evey Couple of months  keep account open  with active debit card thought l check while in Vietnam its been closed but still accepts my transaction transfers via wise , right through pandemic lockdowns in Australia & world planing future holiday ! l'm in Vietnam now thought would check my Thai ATM debit card pin everything correct & then states account closed stole money Welcome to Thailand ???? Thai Banks only kept open for holiday had money deposited in my account So was never inactive  for more than 2 to 3 months as far small top ups, had this account for many years when married after divorce told keep open cant change banks from Samui to BKK Aaccording to babk manager in bkk , Said leave it as it is! last used last pre-pandemic 2018 l

in Thailand & checked in Australia  was open still 2022 did ATM withdraw to check !,Also topped up periodically Now closed ? show me my ???? money ! You can not trust Thai banks ran by CRIMINALS 

Bad Luck and a good message about keeping your accounts Open ! ? Like easy to Forget. How much did you Loose when they Closed it ? ... You would think that they would have to keep it in trust for you some where ??? ...

On 3/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, ezzra said:

This is what happens when humanity invented technology to make life easy and it came to bite it in the backside.

And still not recognized by the masses. 

It grows deeper and deeper with each passing year. 

Dumbed down. 

20 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Bad Luck and a good message about keeping your accounts Open ! ? Like easy to Forget. How much did you Loose when they Closed it ? ... You would think that they would have to keep it in trust for you some where ??? ...

unsure ! Approx 20k just topped up every 2 months $50 /$100 , was never left longer than 3 months at anyone time Thai banks are criminals  few years back, left over 1 mil baht slowly withdrawl from Australia via my Thai bank ATM card ! international Kasikorn would only allow me to send 650k international transactions transfer at 1 time coz l could not prove where all money came from " originally " that transfer went through mountain of paper work ! l had all my paperwork from land sale & taxes paid etc,. Money came from sale of my land via my company paper work set up only way could own land in Thailand with 3 Thais shares 1 or 2 % they signed off on  sale no money involved for them just way lawyer set up was perfect ! originally all money was from my Aussie bank , over years lost all statements and living in Thailand ! Once sold beach front land down south became issues with Thai banks as far as transfer to my Aussie bank ! spoke in-depth with 1 Thai bank manager in Bangkok her advice was if you want do ???? withdrawal inside Australia was best thats what l did  ! start of my miss trust in Thai banks mainly criminaly run " In saying that there are some honest people inside the bank " Rare "As manager above advice ! As you know bank laws change with millatary Gov in ,  Sold my plot of land 2015 by 2018 took most money out of Thailand , Just to keep account open advice by same bank manager keep account open after took 99% out began slowly drip feeding in via wise tranfer ! Goes show you how unscrupulous criminals  Thai banks are ! As you would know ! only admired inside Thailand how much you can scam via corruption inside Government politicians  disgraceful, great example to Thai people its okay to scam, becomes normal thieving scaming over charging cheating +++

Edited by Mad mick

On 3/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, Mad mick said:

How about getting Thai banks STOP stealing our money while out of the country For l

long periods ( NO OTHER BANKS IN WORLD DO THIS WITH MONEY STILL GOING IN ? )  Was regularly paying into via wise into my Thai bank account Only while in Vietnam presently discovering Kasikorn Bank Samui closed my account yet l had been putting just to keep it open $50 Australian evey Couple of months  keep account open  with active debit card thought l check while in Vietnam its been closed but still accepts my transaction transfers via wise , right through pandemic lockdowns in Australia & world planing future holiday ! l'm in Vietnam now thought would check my Thai ATM debit card pin everything correct & then states account closed stole money Welcome to Thailand ???? Thai Banks only kept open for holiday had money deposited in my account So was never inactive  for more than 2 to 3 months as far small top ups, had this account for many years when married after divorce told keep open cant change banks from Samui to BKK Aaccording to babk manager in bkk , Said leave it as it is! last used last pre-pandemic 2018 l

in Thailand & checked in Australia  was open still 2022 did ATM withdraw to check !,Also topped up periodically Now closed ? show me my ???? money ! You can not trust Thai banks ran by CRIMINALS 

You need to contact the bank and find out why it was closed, you can be almost certain it wasn't closed for criminal reasons, it's simply that you don't understand why it was closed! Go ask them, call them, go find out and let us all know. One possibility is that banks have been implementing a range of anti-money laundering processes over the past couple of years, the fact that you're making transfers into the account from overseas, plus you haven't made any in country transactions on the account, may have something to do with what happened.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You need to contact the bank and find out why it was closed, you can be almost certain it wasn't closed for criminal reasons, it's simply that you don't understand why it was closed! Go ask them, call them, go find out and let us all know. One possibility is that banks have been implementing a range of anti-money laundering processes over the past couple of years, the fact that you're making transfers into the account from overseas, plus you haven't made any in country transactions on the account, may have something to do with what happened.

lm in Vietnam ! many of os people have had there bank accounts closed marked as inactive local Aussie expat community we all talk keep up-to-dateb its well known Thais been doing this for past few years ! Not so much during covid lockdowns every thing was ok ???? ! one friends thai wife work in Thai bank & he told me watch out this is what they are doing ! thanks for feed back ! however lm Not flying back Thailand over 20k + approx l'm not first one just one pf 1000s this had happened to No other bank does this if money or banking is still active money going in , lm over Thailand long time ago ! heading back to Philippines in May  upto 3 year tourist visas & can renew inside local immigration office no proff of money or income or how much your pension is . Welcome stay Philippines upto 3 years prior to leaving fot day or 2 rtn start 3 year visas again ! if you marry filipina can move and stay on marriage visa no issues forever don't have to leave or do anything. 

Edited by Mad mick

Just now, Mad mick said:

lm in Vietnam ! many of os people had there accounts close as in active expat community in Australia were all talk its well known That's been go for past few years! during covid every thing was ok ???? locked down have friends told me watch out . Not going fly Thailand over 20k + approx lm not first one just one pf 1000s No other bank does that if money or banking is still active # example money still going in, lm over Thailand long time ago ! heading to Philippines in May  upto 3 year tourist visas renew inside at local immigration no proff of money or income or how much pension is , 

Up to you, but slagging off Thai banks and calling them all crooks, just because it's an easy answer and you can't be bothered to find out the real answer, seems a bit off. There have been plenty of posts from Brit expats in Thailand complaining that their UK accounts have been closed because they don't have a UK address, it's the same problem, tax avoidance rules and AMLO. I am near certain if you were to walk into your branch you would have access to your money although you may no longer have an account.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

lm in Vietnam ! many of os people had there accounts close as in active expat community in Australia were all talk its well known That's been go for past few years! during covid every thing was ok ???? locked down have friends told me watch out . Not going fly Thailand over 20k + approx lm not first one just one pf 1000s No other bank does that if money or banking is still active # example money still going in, lm over Thailand long time ago ! heading to Philippines in May  upto 3 year tourist visas renew inside at local immigration no proff of money or income or how much pension is , 

Yes, pal of mine (in Oz) had his Thai account locked, they said they could see he was accessing if from overseas. 

• Sad 1