Young Professional Salary (expat)

earlofwindermere

I am looking for examples of what a young professional expats could expect to earn if working in Chiang Mai. I am not interested in what ESL teachers make but more in the lines of: hotel industry, NGO consultant, IT work, international school teacher, consulate/govt, project manager, university researcher, etc.

I realize that salaries range based on field and company but if anyone has examples, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Seems TV'ers are either cagey or embarrassed about talking salary, most unThailike in my experience. I can't help you with your listed professions but I'll try and give you an idea based on my business, oil & gas, and my experiences hiring Thai staff back in the mid to late '90s.

We were hiring engineers with a few years experience and the salary levels were 50k THB per month upwards.

But that is a local Thai staff deal. If you are talking an expat package I have no experience with hiring expat staff locally in Thailand. All us expats were assigned by the company to the Thailand office on our UK salary plus uplift plus living allowance plus medical insurance plus R&R flights etc. If that's the sort of deal you are looking for all I can say is aim high but be prepared to compromise.

I realize that salaries range based on field and company but if anyone has examples, it would be appreciated.

"I realize that pieces of string vary in length depending on the usage and type, but if anyone has any example-lenghts on pieces of string then it would be greatly appreciated."

Examples: 30K - 50K - 60K - 80K - 100K

Expats working in LOS may be paid by their overseas office - then they will receive a western salary

however you can always find the professional who just doesn't want to live in Babalyon anymore and is over here already and then you can pay him a smaller sum

how much? however much you can get away with.

I am not interested in what ESL teachers make but more in the lines of: hotel industry, NGO consultant, IT work, international school teacher, consulate/govt, project manager, university researcher, etc.

Wow, you have all those professional skills?

But honestly those jobs are few and far between.

The international school teachers I know make in the range of 60k-100k per month. As for those other jobs, as jomama said they're not easy to find & probably you'd have to be hired from abroad.

But honestly those jobs are few and far between.

My position at CMU is senior researcher but believe I lucked out in timing and having broad but highly specialized skills in nuclear physics. :o All I can say is my salary is well above the average university employee and I was hired locally.

However, it would appear I don't qualify based on the OP (young expat). :D

Bit off topic, but are there many international companies that hire in Thailand? I struggled to find any to be honest even in BKK.

I can only quote regarding my business but there are a few international contractors that have offices in Thailand and hire local Thai staff (predominantly) but almost certainly would hire an expat if the right person pitched up at the right time.

Starting point is what qualifies you for a work permit (50K I think). That should be enough to live on until you can prove your worth and justify a higher salary. In my experience expats get around 4 to 5 times what a Thai would earn in a similar position. But you will be expected to also be much more productive than a Thai. If you're not you'll be unemployed soon enough.

A friend of mine hires around 10 young(ish) expat employees and pays them between 35,000-110,000 each. The average is only around 35-40,000 though. They work in internet research. 40 hour weeks complying with labour laws and with work permits, etc. You'd be hard pressed to find local companies paying much more than this to young - and often inexperienced - people. The top wage was for someone with real expertise in their feild.

A friend of mine hires around 10 young(ish) expat employees and pays them between 35,000-110,000 each. The average is only around 35-40,000 though.

Lol, your maths cracked me up =P

Why? Sao Jiang Mai could have said they were paid between 1 and 1,000,000 baht per month, nothing specific. Why can't the average be 35-40,000 per month? Hmmm?

My salary is between 1 baht and 1,000,000 baht per month but my average salary is.........Thb???,???

Edited by Blinky Bill

I guess that I should clarify what info I'm trying to get. I am the only foreigner working for our NGO and we are contemplating hiring a consultant who has some unique IT and education in our field. He is a young professional (ie 25-35 years of age). I am trying to find out what other LOCALLY based NGOs, companies, agencies, etc generally pay for an expat employee. I've met many consultants on 6 month or 1 year contracts here so I'm sure that some of you must have experience hiring a younger consultant/project manager for your organizations (business or NGO).

I guess that I should clarify what info I'm trying to get. I am the only foreigner working for our NGO and we are contemplating hiring a consultant who has some unique IT and education in our field. He is a young professional (ie 25-35 years of age). I am trying to find out what other LOCALLY based NGOs, companies, agencies, etc generally pay for an expat employee. I've met many consultants on 6 month or 1 year contracts here so I'm sure that some of you must have experience hiring a younger consultant/project manager for your organizations (business or NGO).

Although i commute to work outside of thailand there are plenty of consultants working for the same company as me in thailand, i guess they would be on a similar pay scale to me and with a reasonable amount of experience they would expect to earn 20-30K per day. But the contracts would be international and not local. I am sure local hires would be on considerably less.

Although i commute to work outside of thailand there are plenty of consultants working for the same company as me in thailand, i guess they would be on a similar pay scale to me and with a reasonable amount of experience they would expect to earn 20-30K per day. But the contracts would be international and not local. I am sure local hires would be on considerably less.

30k per day ?

That's around $1,000 USD PER DAY

Are you high?

30k per day ?

That's around $1,000 USD PER DAY

Are you high?

I don't do drugs, and right now i'm in saudi arabia so no drink either. Good to see your maths is good though!

So really you're trying to find out how mcuh this new younger guy will be earning in a roundabout way!!!

:o

Incidentally what's your ball park salary as an NGO? :D

I met a guy here in CM (American from Bay Area, CA) who works in IT setting up networks in Iraq.

He earns about $1K+ a day there. Not uncommon at all.

McG

In a war zone does pay extremely well, but if you aren't alive to spend it...... :o

I met a guy here in CM (American from Bay Area, CA) who works in IT setting up networks in Iraq.

McG

In a war zone does pay extremely well, but if you aren't alive to spend it...... :o

Right now i feel safer in saudi than i would as a doorman at glasgow airport! :D

Right now i feel safer in saudi than i would as a doorman at glasgow airport! :o

Where are you at? I'm in Riyadh. Madinah, Najran and Abha last year.

right now i'm in the desert near a hole called Khurais, but i also work in Shedgum, Uthamaniya, Adhliya, Naiyem and a few others. But my office is in Al-Khobar. I try to stay away from there.

McG

1. HOLY CRAP - THAT'S SICK!

2. Is this salary specific to oil rich countries who have basically unlimited money?

McG

1. HOLY CRAP - THAT'S SICK!

2. Is this salary specific to oil rich countries who have basically unlimited money?

Why is it sick?

If you read my earlier post you will notice that i mentioned my company pays the same in thailand.

Hey Nidge

i speak arabic care to give me resume a push :o

maybe i can start with 200usd a day :D

and i live just a bit north in Jordan,

so if you decide you want to go out drinking your more than welcome

Hey Nidge

i speak arabic care to give me resume a push :o

maybe i can start with 200usd a day :D

and i live just a bit north in Jordan,

so if you decide you want to go out drinking your more than welcome

Trainees are on about $150 a day. I speak sod all arabic, english is the language of the oilfield. Unfortunatley, (for you), there's loads of trainees at the moment. We are short of experienced guys.

Who's making the grub for you guys out there. I'm a chef with alot experience cooking for the masses and doing fine dining too. I play with the idea of a commuter job like you guys - a few weeks/ months on, a few weeks/months off. Might be a nice way to travel and get me some real money to play with when back here in CM. Who would I contact ?

Do they take care of you well with resp to food ? I imagine they would want the Westerners happy with plenty of familiar fare.