Young Professional Salary (expat)

earlofwindermere

my friend worksfor precesion drilling you know of that company? he as i understood does the horizental drilling part or soemthing like that.

Best to get your friend to take your CV. I know precision drilling, they do similar work to me. Good luck

Woops, just came back to this and saw the comments about my maths. Basically the pay scale goes between 35-110k, but only a few of them are at the top, most are between 35-40k. So it is not the avearage of the range, but the average of what is paid. Clarified?

Who's making the grub for you guys out there. I'm a chef with alot experience cooking for the masses and doing fine dining too. I play with the idea of a commuter job like you guys - a few weeks/ months on, a few weeks/months off. Might be a nice way to travel and get me some real money to play with when back here in CM. Who would I contact ?

Do they take care of you well with resp to food ? I imagine they would want the Westerners happy with plenty of familiar fare.

The cooks here are predominantly from bangladesh and india although on my current rig i eat in the chinese galley with a chinese cook. I am sure someone with your experience would be welcome with open arms but i guess you would have to work the same schedule as the cooks currently working here.

They work approximatley 2 - 3 years and then get 1-2 months off, i think their salary is about $2 - $3 per day.

Send me your CV and i'll see what i can do.

I met a guy here in CM (American from Bay Area, CA) who works in IT setting up networks in Iraq.

He earns about $1K+ a day there. Not uncommon at all.

McG

1. HOLY CRAP - THAT'S SICK!

2. Is this salary specific to oil rich countries who have basically unlimited money?

Yes, it is crazy and some get riled about it, but the short and bottom of it is that war zones and oil rich nations mean mega bucks pay their workers $$$$$$$$$$$. On the inside looking out its like the golden goose is on overdrive. :o

Usually getting the big jobs in Thailand is either externally recruiting companies from your home country or some incredible connections and being in the right place at the right time. Good luck, you'll need it.

Working the oil platforms and oil fields can be a real ninja test, but once you get the experience (the biggest and most important thing in my book) you should be ok.

Edited by JimsKnight

Dunno about Chiang Mai, but IT in Bangkok, over the last 10 years I have seen non-thais earn base salary anywhere from 30K to 1.5m a month with a variety of accompanying packages(perks,subsidies,benefits,bonuses etc....). The better paying gigs are mostly multinational firms with an office in Bangkok with the staff internally transferred in from the west earning western rates.

Dunno about Chiang Mai, but IT in Bangkok, over the last 10 years I have seen non-thais earn base salary anywhere from 30K to 1.5m a month with a variety of accompanying packages(perks,subsidies,benefits,bonuses etc....). The better paying gigs are mostly multinational firms with an office in Bangkok with the staff internally transferred in from the west earning western rates.

US$48,000 (Thb1,500,000) a month should be adequate as a base salary. Hope there are a few good perks to make it a little more attractive.

Where is the war in Saudi?

It doesn't matter what country you are working in, a oil rig is a dangerous peice of equipment where ever it is especially with people that don't know what there are doing but think they do.

You don't have to work in dangerous countries to earn money like that, it is also available in peaceful countries, but you may have to do the work yourself rather than have 10 arabians or indians to do the work for you.

As most expats work on an even rotations eg 28 days on and 28 days off you will also find that the 1k per day actually works out to 500/day as they do not get paid for their time off, makes it sounds better if you say 1k per day though I guess.

The worst part about the job is that you have to spend half your life away from your loved ones to earn such good money!!!!!!

earl, I'm glad that you finally gave us a couple more guidelines as to what you wanted. Your original post was extremely vague. It depends. Depends on the assets of your NGO. Depends on whether this "professional" has direct, needed skills that he earned both a BS and an MS in , at a real university, and skills in which he has provable, directly applicable, successful experience doing recently. I'd say between 30,000 and 1,500,000 baht per month. Does he read and speak Thai and Tai-Yai? Does he have light skin, clean clothes, and present himself well?

Have you ever met someone from IT on expat package? 1.5 mil is more likely 3 month worth of package for a manager with MNC.

But we're talking about NGO's, who sometimes require people to PAY to volunteer as unarmed social workers in a conflict zone, or who think 8000 baht per month is good wages in a refugee camp. I don't think we're talking UN wages in Bangkok for a mutliple Ph.D. We don't know where the earlofwindemere works, but maybe they specialize in Karen orphans or Hmoung education or HIV/AIDS victims, or strawberry cultivation in MaeHongSon...

Have you ever met someone from IT on expat package? 1.5 mil is more likely 3 month worth of package for a manager with MNC.

I have worked in IT in Bangkok for 10 years and currently work for a very large MN IT firm with a regional presence in BKK.

So I am talking facts, from absolute first hand experience over a decade.

I have met hundreds of IT expats on packages over the years in BKK, both my colleagues and industry associates. That upper limit is not unusual for regional heads who are based in BKK.

I most definately do not earn that amount though :o