Whats involved with changing my house book registration (yellow book) to a new address in a different location?

I write to ask whats involved with changing my house book registration (yellow book) to a new address in a different location?

From what I understand ''you have to have your current landlord report that you are moving to the new Amphoe, then you will need to take the form they give the old landlord and your new landlord will need to put you on their House Registration within 48 hours.  '' 

How does the above happen exactly? Does the existing landlord have to go to the district office with me and sign the form there. Or can I take the form to him and have him sign it along with a copy of his id card and then I take it to the existing district office?

If my landlord is not so keen on me anymore and basically refuses to do this what are my options exactly? What do I do?????

When I actually go to the existing district office do I have to take a copy of the lease contract for the new address in another province? If not what do they need from me. 

Re the 48 hour rule.... whats the point of this? 

If the new address is in central bangkok then can I register on the new yellow book without my wife doing it as well? I suppose this might depend on the district office? 

Many thanks

First if all, you have to register your new address with a TM30, has nothing to do with the yellow book, and yes, your new landlord (if you are renting) should actually do this for you OR at least provide you with all info and docs (i.e. copy of his Thai ID) that you need to complete the address registration.

Second: The yellow book does NOT move with you! The yellow book belongs to the house, there is no "address change in the yellow book". If you want to be put in a yellow book in your new place, the owner of the house (see blue book) must agree with that and help you with this process also.
Most owners in rental places will not agree with getting a yellow book and put foreigners in there, I only ever heard about foreigners having a yellow book, if they own the property (as do I).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

First if all, you have to register your new address with a TM30, has nothing to do with the yellow book, and yes, your new landlord (if you are renting) should actually do this for you OR at least provide you with all info and docs (i.e. copy of his Thai ID) that you need to complete the address registration.

Second: The yellow book does NOT move with you! The yellow book belongs to the house, there is no "address change in the yellow book". If you want to be put in a yellow book in your new place, the owner of the house (see blue book) must agree with that and help you with this process also.
Most owners in rental places will not agree with getting a yellow book and put foreigners in there, I only ever heard about foreigners having a yellow book, if they own the property (as do I).

so have you heard of the 48 hour rule of de-registering from the old yellow book?

14 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

so have you heard of the 48 hour rule of de-registering from the old yellow book?

I never heard of this rule but it doesn't make any sense as it is not compulsory for non Thais to be registered in a house book.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a Yellow book and pink ID card as far as I am aware it’s only for the house I’m registered at if I move to another property the yellow book becomes obsolete that’s what the issuing officer told me however if I sell the property the yellow book can be transferred to the new owner once again the issuing officer told me this unless it was all lost in translation as his English wasn’t that good .

I found this in the forum. Hope it helps other people:

The owner of the house must go the Amphoe, you actually don't need to go, but the owner must be there with your yellow book, their blue book and their ID card.  They will need to tell the people ขอแจ้งย้ายทะเบียนบ้าน for you.  I can't remember if you have to provide them with the destination address at that point, or if it is just open ended, hence the need to register in your new house within 48 hours.  The Amphoe will issue a document on the spot, I don't remember what it is called, it's just one or two sheets of paper that are printed out from their system and signed.  I am actually not sure if you only have 48 hours, I just remember it is some ridiculously short period of time to be registered on your new registration..  

You will then take that piece of paper along with the owner of the new house registration you will be on to the Khet in Bangkok.  They will need to bring their blue book and ID card.  You will need to bring your passport, WP, etc.  They will then add you to the new house registration and give you a new yellow book.  You will actually be able to keep your old yellow book which will be stamped แจ้งย้ายแล้ว

The process is surprisingly simple and straightforward, but the hard part is getting the owner of the house on both ends to process the paperwork for you.