Reliability Of Thai Laboratories / Technicians

rabbitbird

I had a positive Hepatitus antibody test 4 years ago. Only 15-30% of people fight off Hep C without help of medications so I lived for 4 years thinking I had HEP C and didn't follow up until about 6 months ago. I had a very sensitive Amplicor qualitative PCR/RNA test (tests for actual presence of the virus in the body) done and it came back NEGATIVE in Thailand (blood taken at Maharaj in Chiang Mai, not sure what laboratory it was sent to). It's been 6 months since that result and I will be following up with a 2nd test in Thailand.

My main source of concern is that I don't fully trust the results even though from most everything I read, Thailand has excellent medical care (which I assume include their technicians and laboratories). I still can't get it out of my head that I'm out of the US in a poorer country so I automatically distrust the results.

I'm not sure how easy or difficult the test is to perform, but I'm assuming it's not the easiest of tests to analyze.

I'm guessing this forum isn't full of Hep C experts, so my question is more related to the reliability of the technicians and laboratories who are performing the test... Are the laboratories and technicians at par? Any help/experience/advice/recommendations appreciated!

Edited by rabbitbird

Thailand has world class lab technicians and facilities. There are also some questionable small private labs, either stand-alone or attached to small private clinics or hospitals.

If the test was done at a Government Hospital or one of the larger private ones, I would not be concerned about the accuracy. In fact for PCR testing I think almost all are sent to a central government lab.

About 25% of people with Hep C recover completely without going on to chronic infection so it is perfectly possible you are just one of the lucky ones. If your liver function tests are also normal (ALT/AST) then I wouldn't worry.

Only caveat: a negative result means no detectable viral load but does not completely rule out the possibility of trace amounts of virus hiding out so if in subsequent years you begin to feel ill or have a rise in liver enzymes, repeat the test.

The blood WAS actually taken at an attached lab. I'm not sure if was processed there or not. I'm pretty sure it was sent somewhere because I had to wait 10 days. But this wasn't a small private hospital, it was Maharaj University hospital and the lab was on the same grounds. Not sure if they're directly affiliated, but I'm hoping they have the same standards as the University hospital's grounds they're on.....