Land border with soon to expire passport

The universal rule seems to be minimum 6-months remaining on any passport validity when applying for a visa.

I haven't heard of anyone being bailed up on arrival when applying for a visa-exempt entry on a passport with less than 6 months validity.

However, an expired passport is an expired passport.

15 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

I want to get a exempt visa, about 3 months left on passport, land borders no flying

That's not going to work, as Thailand's neighboring countries (which you would need to enter for a border run) require a minimum of 6 months remaining passport validity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2016, if I recall the year correctly. We were to visit Laos by land crossing. Thai Immigration on exit said, well your Son can leave but we will not let him back in (Visa Exempt) because he will not have 6 months remaining on his US Passport. We had to go back to Chiang Mai and get a temporary Passport ... made the crossing ... returned and applied for his new 10 year Passport.

• Like 1

All of this could have beem avoided if you had applied much earlier for a new passport. Personally I have always renewed a year earlier than the expiry date. In your son's case maybe obtain a temporary passport to get over the immediate problem.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Can i return to uk with soon to expire uk passport?

Probably yes, unless you transit somewhere. Otherwise you could get an ETD from your otherwise useless embassy to facilitate your return. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Does anyone know for sure? Cant get clear answer from web

Your best bet for a definitive answer is your airline. They are the ones who will either allow you to board your flight or not.

Whatever you may find on the web might convince you, but not necessarily the check-in staff.

2 hours ago, Sambo5000 said:

Can i return to uk with soon to expire uk passport?

Yes, you can enter the UK with even one day remaining on your passport.  Try to make it a direct flight, and under no circumstances should you go through any other country's immigration and try to re-enter to board a connecting flight.  (Short transit should be OK). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sambo5000 said:

Does anyone know for sure? Cant get clear answer from web

To get a reliable answer to your question, use the resource for travellers provided by IATA. Start at https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

In principle, you should be able to return to the UK on a UK passport, even if the passport has expired. However, as someone else mentioned, that will only be true if you are taking a direct flight.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 7:54 PM, BritTim said:

Every neighbouring country to Thailand has an official rule that you need six months remaining validity on your passport to enter. The rule for Thailand is only that your passport must be valid for the duration of your intended stay. Thus, if returning to Thailand for a visa exempt entry, you should be fine as long as you have at least 45 days remaining validity on your passport. However, according to the official rules, you would expect a border bounce to be impossible unless you have at least six months remaining passport validity. In spite of this, I have seen multiple reports of successful border bounces at the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. It is unclear whether Lao immigration waiving the six month rule was deliberate or accidental.

So nongkai is our best bet for now? Has any one on here been let through recently with nearly expired passport?