Prayut dissolves House, paving way for election in early May

snoop1130

AE9C8EC7-5BCF-416D-898D-0B39F59EB4B2.png

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has dissolved Thailand’s House of Representatives, paving the way for a general election, which is expected to be held in early May.

The announcement was published in the Royal Gazette today and took immediate effect.

A general election is constitutionally required to be held 45 days after, but within 60 days of the House dissolution. The Election Commission is mandated to announce a date for the election within five days of the House being dissolved.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayut-dissolves-house-paving-way-for-election-in-early-may/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is the senate disolved as well?

We ignore the institution that needs to be dissolved. 

Any other surface activities along these lines is more than moot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has dissolved Thailand’s House of Representatives, paving the way for a general election, which is expected to be held in early May.

Hopefully paving the way for a new government and an end to the military junta rule.

• Love It 1

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Hopefully paving the way for a new government and an end to the military junta rule.

Something else historic needs to happen before any of this repeated rhetoric comes about. 

Still..........most aren't getting it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, what are the odds on a new coup date when bad results for him and his cronies ? I'll take 3 weeks

Odds on: 4-5 days....with the usual blessing.

They don't much around.

Edited by zzaa09

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is the senate disolved as well?

The Senate was elected by the current government mostly army personnel, whilst not up to date the constitution was changed to allow this, can the Senate block any new legislation ?

Ruling parties fill the upper house with their own people like the House of Lords in the U.K. that’s why Labour would like it abolished because like Thailand the personnel are appointed not elected.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A general election is constitutionally required to be held 45 days after, but within 60 days of the House dissolution.

Can someone explain this to me please - I'm having a bit of a brain-fart moment trying to figure it out. ????

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

#BREAKING: #ThaiElection23 to be held on Sunday, May 14, says

@ECT_Thailand

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA

That was a quick decision. Must've already had something up their sleeves. 

But then......we might be taken aback by the will of the people when a new opposition shines through. 

I suspect any new coalition government won't last very long. 

Edited by zzaa09

28 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

That was a quick decision. Must've already had something up their sleeves. 

But then......we might be taken aback by the will of the people when a new opposition shines through. 

I suspect any new coalition government won't last very long. 

I am sure that the plan for counting, interpreting, challenging and disqualifying has been fully worked up.

There will be scripts for allegations of all sorts of irregularities leading to disqualification of individuals and dissolution of parties held on file. The EC and courts fully limbered up and in the starting blocks.

This will likely lead to considerable protest and unrest, not entirely I suspect unwelcome.

The least subtle, but perhaps most likely eventual result will be a reluctant entry stage right by the military, possibly with the existing regime remaining in place in the interests of good order and stability.

You see,"we tried to hold an election, it failed because of the venality and corruption of politicians, we had no option but to step in to save the country from chaos".

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure that the plan for counting, interpreting, challenging and disqualifying has been fully worked up.

There will be scripts for allegations of all sorts of irregularities leading to disqualification of individuals and dissolution of parties held on file. The EC and courts fully limbered up and in the starting blocks.

This will likely lead to considerable protest and unrest, not entirely I suspect unwelcome.

The least subtle, but perhaps most likely eventual result will be a reluctant entry stage right by the military, possibly with the existing regime remaining in place in the interests of good order and stability.

You see,"we tried to hold an election, it failed because of the venality and corruption of politicians, we had no option but to step in to save the country from chaos".

32 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

8 years since the last coupe, lots of more people eligible to vote, I can’t see them standing back and allow another army government.

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

8 years since the last coupe, lots of more people eligible to vote, I can’t see them standing back and allow another army government.

Yet, in retrospect, there's always been a prominent military presence in government - the base feature. 

And still.....no one seems to ask why this is. Or don't know how to challenge or question. 

The traditional connection is obvious. Has been for some time. 

22 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yet, in retrospect, there's always been a prominent military presence in government - the base feature. 

And still.....no one seems to ask why this is. Or don't know how to challenge or question. 

The traditional connection is obvious. Has been for some time. 

The traditional connection passed away a few years back, the new connection doesn’t have the same respect.

58 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They pulled it off 4 years ago.

I am certain that they will try again.

The whole thrust since 2014 has been to make sure that the status quo, which was being challenged, was re-established and maintained.

They seized power, more than for any other reason, to manage the biggest transition in over 60 years.

They did that, and created a "settlement" that whilst maintaining a facade of democracy, and could superficially pretend continuity, mainly for international approval, in fact allowed the established power groups to cement themselves in control.

After all that effort they will simply not relinquish control.

You are right, a coup probably will not go unchallenged, it may even be successfully resisted ( the Army and Police are something of a paper tiger), yet that process will  be a huge upheaval, and possibly a bloody one.

The established order will fight if they have to to keep control, they almost certainly plan and are prepared to do so; and although they may end up driven out ( they have plenty to keep them comfortable overseas) it will be an unhappy experience for the country. I really hate to predict this, but I fear it will take a large scale insurrection or perhaps even a civil war to bring them down. I don't relish it, I have seen first hand what that does to countries.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1