Rooster Reports #2: Oh dear, it's only Day Two and he's ranting about the roads!

webfact

Trucks, Overtaking Trucks, that are over taking Trucks !!! ... They are just Poor men truing to make a Living Rooster !!! Like they would probably prefer to be a Scrabble Champion, siting in A/C and Translating Thai news articles in to English like you do. ... But well they can not. ...They just have to go out on to the Roads and Drive their trucks, to be able to bring home the Food and Hopefully a few Extras for their Families. And getting to the Ware houses down near the Ports ( Which you were driving past on your way to Co Chung ? I would guess, ) and then getting their loads back up to the distribution points, back up country, is how that do this, so well some times they DO have to over take each other, and move out to the right or well if the left is Pot holed they might do tis to reduce the damage to their trucks ! ... In order to accomplish this economically.

Maybe just TOO manny Rats in the Box !!! (Over Population ? ) could be looked at as to why a lot of things now, Are Misfunctioning ???

Though well ...On On Mate !!! ... have a loot at the Donald Trump is ready to try and start a revolution Thread for a laugh !!!! ? ...

15 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

How about a written version as well, in the OP?

Feedback yesterday had a clear majority in favor of the written words. Just sayin'

I get my coat ..........

Yes, I read the feedback but the point is the video. I actually wrote yesterday's script but it was off-putting to read it and so today I went with notes and more ad lib. I won't be supplying a written version. Might I suggest, though it's not the quite same to watch the vid with closed captions that are quite accurate except for Thai terms. You could even turn off my voice!

In conclusion please view/subscribe. While it was never my intention to join vloggers in Thailand -  I hate most of them - shall endeavor to improve the quality and hopefully give people the odd laff and some food for thought with my customary professionalism. Who knows you may even get to like it in the end, maybe even I will!!

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Trucks, Overtaking Trucks, that are over taking Trucks !!! ... They are just Poor men truing to make a Living Rooster !!! Like they would probably prefer to be a Scrabble Champion, siting in A/C and Translating Thai news articles in to English like you do. ... But well they can not. ...They just have to go out on to the Roads and Drive their trucks, to be able to bring home the Food and Hopefully a few Extras for their Families. And getting to the Ware houses down near the Ports ( Which you were driving past on your way to Co Chung ? I would guess, ) and then getting their loads back up to the distribution points, back up country, is how that do this, so well some times they DO have to over take each other, and move out to the right or well if the left is Pot holed they might do tis to reduce the damage to their trucks ! ... In order to accomplish this economically.

Maybe just TOO manny Rats in the Box !!! (Over Population ? ) could be looked at as to why a lot of things now, Are Misfunctioning ???

Though well ...On On Mate !!! ... have a loot at the Donald Trump is ready to try and start a revolution Thread for a laugh !!!! ? ...

I get your point about truckers having to make a living. But if they went60-80 in the inside of three lanes and overtook in the middle us car drivers could actually drive at a decent speed. 

Re Drumph, I think it's best that I avoid that subject. Though I will have a glass of Banana Wine if he is arrested today even if that'll probably mean he'll be the next POTUS!

Rooster

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BostonRob2 said:

It's the indecision when faced with under or overtaking. It adds to the mess. Ultimately I know what to do all right. I'm still alive after a million kms+.

And get a driver? It freaks me out to have anyone else drive, at least I can trust myself. 

Rooster

But can/should other drivers trust you?

• Sad 1

I think most of us will share Roosters frustrations with Thai drivers behavior and inconsideration to other road users , however it is all down to the government's lack of driver education plus lack of enforcement of the traffic/ driving regulations . Here in Thailand cars and motor bikes are bought with the same mentality as buying a TV . There is little if any driving tuition , along with complete disregard of the laws for road use . Many vehicles neither insured , tested or taxed and only the police road blocks will find them ( many road users dodge the blocks or pay an unofficial penalty and then carry on as before ) . Can only speak about my experience in the UK where the driving test is both a written exam and driving a car with an examiner plus a free booklet called the Highway Code . The roads are patrolled by police and the laws enforced with " driving without due care and attention to other road users " is punishable by a fine and points on your licence . Year on year Thailand has horrific road fatalities , yet the government do nothing to stop it . Apathy rules I am sorry to say .

5 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

I get your point about truckers having to make a living. But if they went60-80 in the inside of three lanes and overtook in the middle us car drivers could actually drive at a decent speed. 

Re Drumph, I think it's best that I avoid that subject. Though I will have a glass of Banana Wine if he is arrested today even if that'll probably mean he'll be the next POTUS!

Rooster

Yes I think that we might have been seeing things on two very different pieces of Highway. ... Where we are is les than 100 k north of the Bangkok outskirts. ... So the traffic out, has just cleatd the trsfic jam and co gestipn and has a relatively clear road ahead of them !!! ...  So well they all are pretty Happy Chapies as they speed up as they pass Ayutthaua and head off up further North. 

And the other way ... there is still clear road ! ... And it is probably a lot safer to drive hear near Ayutthaua ... than further North.

Like Asia Highway is 4 lanes wide in places around there you k ow so plenty of room for Trucks Overtaking Trucks ! That are Overtaking Other Trucks. 

And the fast lane is very rarely blocked. And then it is just down to 100 usually ? Or 80 on rare occasions. Like still fast  !!!  Like I really like the fast lane, is just concentrate,   and stay on the ball and I actually

think that it is safer than the other lane !!! ...u Like all drivers in it ! Seem to be Driving with the same mind set where I drive at least ?Any way ! ? 

But I have driven down that Pattaya / Ko Chung way a few times ! And yes it Is / Was !!! Pretty bad.

My step son drives a truck and he says the section past Chonbury entering and in the Pattaya ares ...is the worst Section that he has to drive.

And Yes ! Having any thing to do with the Trump Fiasco ! Is just like Inviting a War in to your Living room !!! ... So I can see why you would keep out of it. ... And So Should I. ... Really.

I can see why you took a Servatical !!! I have been blogging like a mad man for only a couple of days afterthe Markets all went down !!! .... But I now think that I also need a holiday from it !!! 

So I had better get off and have a go at that !!! Shouldn't I !!! 

Thanks.

Can't say that I will always watch you ! ? But well it is ok also. 

So,Thanks.

OWS ... Once Was Steptoe. 

Edited by Mark mark
The 120 lane.
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

How about a written version as well, in the OP?

Feedback yesterday had a clear majority in favor of the written words. Just sayin'

I get my coat ..........

I agree with you. I much prefer the written word. I miss Roosters written comments at the weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, superal said:

I think most of us will share Roosters frustrations with Thai drivers behavior and inconsideration to other road users , however it is all down to the government's lack of driver education plus lack of enforcement of the traffic/ driving regulations . Here in Thailand cars and motor bikes are bought with the same mentality as buying a TV . There is little if any driving tuition , along with complete disregard of the laws for road use . Many vehicles neither insured , tested or taxed and only the police road blocks will find them ( many road users dodge the blocks or pay an unofficial penalty and then carry on as before ) . Can only speak about my experience in the UK where the driving test is both a written exam and driving a car with an examiner plus a free booklet called the Highway Code . The roads are patrolled by police and the laws enforced with " driving without due care and attention to other road users " is punishable by a fine and points on your licence . Year on year Thailand has horrific road fatalities , yet the government do nothing to stop it . Apathy rules I am sorry to say .

I think that the Thai drivers are very considerate Drivers considering how many people there are on the rosds ! Well near where I live they are any way. 

And the new Video they force you to watch to just renew your licence ! Is pretty good also.

They are actually Society cooperative people you know ! Like that is why it is so good to live here !!!

You just got to learn there Rules !!! Rule one do nit Bend any one else's car. Rule 2 do not slow any one else down. ... Rule 3 follow most of the other rules !!! ...But alwsys be tolerant if some one messes up and misses them once in a while. Never go through any intersection gren lught ir not ! With out looking both ways any wsy !!!

. like you can pull off some Ginormous Trafic violations your self !!! ...Like you have to some tomes as it is just so fast and crowded. ... But just make sure that you miss every one else !!! ... And do not slow the trafic flow down ... and they will not take any notice of you.

So in short just use your Inteligence and Brains !!! ... spacial perception ... Learn !   ...  And be courteous to them also ... and you will be Fine !!!

Like 80 million people here now most with Cars !!! ... So they know ! That basicly we ALL ate in the same heave trafic !!! (Deleted) bag !!! ... So they WILL cooperate with you if you are considerate also I am sure. ....

... like  find them very Considerate.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Simple solution - cars on the road 24/7. Lorries on the roads 6pm to 6am. that way you can take you pick if you want to avoid them !

Unless you happen to be a Company that needs spares in the day ? Or a Lorry Driver.

Like they all can not come in to BKK during the day I think or at peak hours and mist use the ring roads any way.

And in Songklan the big holiday they are banned from all roads I think for ??? 1 to 3 ??? ... I can not remember the exact figure but there is not a lory to be seen as every one goes back home up country for several days ! ... and the Drivers all get a holiday ! ... well With out pay of course I would think ? ...

7 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Yes, I read the feedback but the point is the video. I actually wrote yesterday's script but it was off-putting to read it and so today I went with notes and more ad lib. I won't be supplying a written version. Might I suggest, though it's not the quite same to watch the vid with closed captions that are quite accurate except for Thai terms. You could even turn off my voice!

In conclusion please view/subscribe. While it was never my intention to join vloggers in Thailand -  I hate most of them - shall endeavor to improve the quality and hopefully give people the odd laff and some food for thought with my customary professionalism. Who knows you may even get to like it in the end, maybe even I will!!

Rooster

Yes Good Plan Mate ! ... As Usual.... Gooo Rooster ! Now a Video Presenter !!! Now all we have to do is be able to send Ya ! Videos back ! Right !! 

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

sounds like maybe Rooster should hire a driver if he "never know[s] what to do" on the roads ????

I was always impressed to Hear about your Honda 250 Cub exploits is it ? ... Nice one ! A good Biker ! Who still Rides !!  Good for you !!!  Like Old Bikers do not need Drivers !!! ... (And every one gets used to that (Deleted)  road down past Pattier right ! ? Sooner or later. ...) 

23 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

I was always impressed to Hear about your Honda 250 Cub exploits is it ? ... Nice one ! A good Biker ! Who still Rides !!  Good for you !!!  Like Old Bikers do not need Drivers !!! ... (And every one gets used to that (Deleted)  road down past Pattier right ! ? Sooner or later. ...) 

Mate I've never been near a Honda Cub, yer barkin' up the wrong tree! ???? 

Spent a few years in Sri Lanka not too long ago, they built a bunch of "highways" which are really nice.

Before opening, and also after, the Government put a LOT of TV ads explaining to the public the "rules of the road".

Really worked!!!!  For instance, you can now get from the airport to Colombo in 35 minutes, compared to before the highway, which was average 2 hours or so!

TV ADS!  THE answer to illiterate, unknowledgeable drivers, telling them what to do!  (Sri Lankan mentality is very similar to Thai mentality in a LOT of ways).

14 hours ago, superal said:

I think most of us will share Roosters frustrations with Thai drivers behavior and inconsideration to other road users ,

Yes I have pretty much got used to living here, mostly very happy, the Stockholm syndrome has hooked me. Except the driving here, still gets my goat up so often. My disdain of trucks is apparently shared. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

For every action, there is an acceptable level of risk…

Well this is the only bit that I can accept or even understand re your last Line. ... Sounds like Hollywood ??? ...

... I likely situation here very well !!! ... and I like the Thais also !!! .... Like they DO make it possible for me (For us all ???) so I am very grateful for this and just get on with them.

... How about you ???

Hey Rooster !!! ??? AY ONE ! ? ... Do you know how to stop that Bloody annoying subscription page coming up when you open the AN site and will not go away for Ages ? ... Well over a minuet of so for me I guess. ??? It is Yellowy / Orange in Color ??? ... and has subscribe and I am not a robot boxes available on it ? ... (Maybe if I hit subscribe and it might remove it it self after it tells me that I am already subscribed !!! ??? 

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

For every action, there is an acceptable level of risk…

once defined, you don’t violate those parameters….period 

stop making stupid excuses…you define a person not by their job but what they could have been…

if you don’t like it, change your situation…like the northern forest burners, hang ‘em and hang ‘em high…

I was a bit Miffed, and wrote a hasty Reply, but I hope that it will be removed by the Mods ... I re write it with more rational and well more Pleasantly also, so I hope that the Previous reply is Gone and this one stays as my Only post for today. ... My usual Theme, My Love and acceptance of the Thais, as I live her and i DO like it and also there driving HERE, near where I live. And I drive a LOT.

... I do like Thai People, AND the way that they drive, ... Well, how they drive now !!!

( They were not so good a few Years ago I must say, … when they Were just Learning about it I think.  … And the roads were REALLY just pretty terrible for the Traffic volume also !!! Asia Highway just 2 Lanes One each way and head-on’s outside or near our Village nearly every night !!!! ) ...

But the Thais are Intelligent and proactive, and CAN get things done if you have not noticed that ? …... Driving is OK on 4 Wheels I am talking about here, the Safe end of things. ... ( I do think that the carnage on Motor Bikes, is still a bit Stone age ... and also a Great Problem which must be dealt with sooner or later. ) ... But well, That is where I am now any way In Thailand and on 4 wheels a lot. ...

If you do not like how they drive ! Well then you know the pleasant answer don’t you.  ... Get used to it ! ? ...”Period”- Right ! (As you say, Har Har ! )… Yes, it is their country ! NOT ours. )

...  Or well, probably the harder answer ? … With all due respect, ... if you do not like it ….. Go away and drive with somewhere else. If you do not like it ??? …. With some other group of people. ….If you are that concerned about it. ...   And stop complaining about it here.  ...

… I see no necessity for we here, ... To have to change for you !!! ... or well, any other Foreign Ideas if it comes to that ? If the People here do not want to. ... … That is why many of us came here God Dam it !!! … As it was not like the Over Regulated minldsum mess back in our own countries ???

(minldsum ? Is that a word Rooster, … Like I just made it up right ? Maybe change the spelling ! ? )

But well, other than that have a good day mate !!! … Go out for a drive ! it IS fun here ! (Well outside of Bangkok probably ? …. and Pattaya !!! I guess. )

Ps. I have been here Off and On I guess, but well for 40 Years now I think, ... So well I DO have those Numbers on it, … like I know the Culture AND the history of it .... And well. … Like Rooster, I started on Motor bikes, and it was OK …. Like I was young and was not going to die right ! ...

But now I am Old Older than good Mr. R ... I have moved on to a very nice, and Easy to drive, and SAFE !!! Car … Direct computer Chip controlled Fuel Injection, 4 wheel disc brakes, Good speed, small, and Mirrors + ... etc etc. etc 

… The best Car that I have ever had !!! ...and I now have children to take to school do it is a nice thing to have the Nice Car now also. ... and the Roads !!! well they are just Fine here 100k outside of BKK ...Though yes maybe you could complain about the Pattaya Traffic ? … and in my limited Experiences driving there also I do know that also, like Crazy Mayhem, like I have friends there with Cars, who never drive them as they say that it is just too dangerous  ... Though well BKK is OK, I think ? ... Just slow at times and well .... FAST !!! … but well.

…. That’s TIT ... and have a good Day.

But well, we stumbled on it Really ! The answer, ….  it is OK here about 100k North of BKK, as well it is the Opening up point when if you are coming up from there things just get Much MUCH less congested and a LOT more Pleasant I guess. ? As it is for us who live here every day. … So sorry for that. I guess that any sort of driving in Pattaya Bangkok or Phuket, is probably Very VERY demanding I guess ??? … So sorry for that for you fellows. …

8 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Ok on the first Post yes that was a better one any way. ... I am busy But well it is MY responsibility so I will have a go at Re editing it now. ... Thanks.

I can not find you first request for me to re edit this but well a Very Good task, and I have done it. Like this one Really is about my LIFE here now. And the way that I ? DO deal with the Good Thais ! Who I like ! and their Roads and Driving ! ...  and come out of it having had a very VERY Good time !!!

... I think that the Thai drivers are very considerate drivers, considering how many people there are on the roads ! … Well near where I live they are quite considerate any way, …. And I know this as I have to drive 5 Kids to schools in 2 different directions each week day, and then do the wife’s errands for her, … and go shopping on occasion also. …. So I spend a LOT of time on the roads ! … Like driving, … The best thing that I can do for them really, other than paying for their food and tuition. 

And also there are the New Road safety improvements that I have seen, the new video that the Traffic Authority force you to watch, just to renew your license now, is pretty good I think. Like gets to the Point ! and emphasizes Distractions !!! Like PHONES !!!  …. Like it is really good I think. ( Made with a UK Safety lot I think I saw ? And who are good also, … ( Like they drive on the same side of the road also which also helps just to start off with, right ?)

… You have to watch it on line now, before you can attend the Further Training, and reaction speed tests, so no hassle you watch it at home at your leisure, and well it tests to see if you are still actually watching it, as it goes along also, Like very good modern technology here !!!

Thai’s are actually socially conformist you know, and cooperative people, like that is why it is so good to live here !!! … Right. ??? … But though Politically they are Anarchistic, ? …Socially they are different, and they are very conformist, AND very cooperative … and well with 80 Million people in a country which is actually not very big either ! This, IS a VERY Good thing I think.

Well I find them so any way, … well on the roads any way ?  … Like they can push 2,000 people through the Local Hospital, in a mourning !!!  … and it takes a LOT of social conformity, AND cooperation to do this sort of thing I think !!!

… So for driving, You just got to learn there universal, In Country, social driving rules !!!  … Rule one do no Bend anyone else's car. They are Proud people, and Do love their cars also !!! … So well, Do Not hit them ! ? Right ….

Rule 2 do not slow anyone else down. They are pragmatic people, and just really believe in getting to places, as fast as safely possible, … And with about 80 Million people, a large number of them on the roads now, traffic Flow IS important, and quite Important to them also. … But they all seem to follow the speed Limits pretty well now, (Now that there are Cameras around ??? ) … and well they have not been running red lights much to my Knowledge for a long time now !!! … Jumping the lights, like knowing the cycle, and taking of almost before they change is something that you do have to watch though. … Like YOU do not run the Red Light either, as they are all Ready to go before you even get to the line !!!

... Rule 3 follow most of the other rules !!! ...But always be tolerant if someone messes up, and misses the rules, once in a while. Just dodge them, and cut them a bit of slack, … like they probably have bigger problems than you do !!!

… And Never go through any intersections, green light showing or not !  …Without looking both ways any way !!!

… Like you can pull off some traffic violations yourself !!! ...Accidentally ( Like going through a red Light on Sukhumvit at Soi 3 as you are confused by the Zig Zag to get over to the Express way lane.)  …. Or you just Like you Just have to ! Sometimes, as it is just so fast and crowded. ...

But just make sure that you miss everyone else !!! ... And do not slow the traffic flow down ... and they will not take any notice of you. They WILL let you in to that traffic flow, if you are turning in, and have to get in, as they ARE very Courteous I think, but the rules are do not slow down and slow the rest of the traffic down when they do let you in !!!  … Just watch out ahead, and keep your foot down !!! … And everyone will be happy.

So in short just use your Intelligence and Brains !!! ... spatial perception ... (I used to use it to miss Oil Production platforms on a Seismic Exploration ship, with 1 to 10, 7.6 k streamer Cables Behind it for 20 Years I guess, so I do have a bit of Practice of that I guess. )   ….

Just Learn !  Believe this, Special conception and Courtesy,  ...  and don’t slow them down. … and … Be courteous to them also ... And you will be Fine !!!

… Like there are 80 million people here now most with Cars !!! ... So they all know ! That basically we ALL are in the same heave traffic !!! (Deleted) bag !!! ... … So they WILL cooperate with you, if you are considerate also I am sure. ....

... Like I find them very Considerate People Really, … Like allowing them a bit of personal space also is a good Idea I find, … Right across the Board actually !!!.

• Confused 1