Win11 warns it has more than one antivirus installed?

Digitalbanana

I have noticed recently windows keeps popping notifications up on my desktop saying "Windows Defender Periodic Scanning is on" and "you're also using another antivirus program for active protection" but I've never installed another antivirus onto my PC so not sure why it is saying that? Anyone know? Also if I search my drive I see I have THREE different versions of MsMpEng.exe in different locations? Is the warning referring to that and how do I remove the duplicate Windows Defender and how is it there in first place?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2211.5-0\MsMpEng.exe
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2301.6-0\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

Yes thanks. I now understand its normal to have multiple instances of MsMpEng.exe running on your computer because Windows Defender uses multiple processes to perform different tasks. I am wondering if the warning is simply a false warning as my PC seems to run normally otherwise. I will wait for Win11 to update in future as I already have all latest updates installed. My warning is exactly as shown on this discussion thread below, and there is no conclusion but to send a log report to MS. Just noticed these warnings in the past few weeks on my PC.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-periodic-scanner-says-i-have-2-antiviruses/a1c47457-e9d1-44c2-9970-b9a6aab165fa

• 1 month later...