dual monitor one 4K one HD

h90

I buy a 27 inch monitor to use together with my 23 inch one. Brand AOC.
I want to use a 4K for the 27 inch and use it together with the HD (normal one) on Windows 10.
Does that work without problem or are there any weird scalling problems to be expected?

• Like 1

If you have all the latest drivers etc. it "should" just work.

You will likely find that icons on the higher-res monitor are smaller and your apps change size when you drag to a different screen, but nothing insurmountable.

You can make some scaling adjustments in the Windoze Display Properties screen (right-click on the desktop).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Crossy said:

If you have all the latest drivers etc. it "should" just work.

You will likely find that icons on the higher res monitor are smaller and your apps change size when you drag to a different screen, but nothing insurmountable.

You can make some scaling adjustments in the Windoze Display Properties screen (right-click on the desktop).

such minor problems wouldn't be a problem. I worry about catastrophic driver mistakes (like scale up is not adjusted when dragging a window to the other monitor) that makes working impossible.
When the screen is small things are hard to read if I don't wear the glasses. But if I wear the glasses a 27inch is not that sharp anymore in HD....And 27inch HD is now <10K Baht....But I don't want to run into problems

I'm sure it will work just fine.

I use two monitors with my laptop so I actually have three screens all with different resolutions. There are occasional quirks but never anything catastrophic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm sure it will work just fine.

I use two monitors with my laptop so I actually have three screens all with different resolutions. There are occasional quirks but never anything catastrophic.

Wow that is a nice setup!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

Wow that is a nice setup!

Heath Robinson would probably agree ???? 

The lappie is mine, the monitors belong to the office so you take what "IT" has, but it's so much easier to work when you can have 3 or 4 documents open and visible at the same time.

My desktop at home has 3 x 27" monitors which are identical, no issues with scaling of course and I can watch the cricket or snooker (The Crucible starts on April 15th) in a window whilst "attending" a Zoom meeting :whistling:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Heath Robinson would probably agree ???? 

The lappie is mine, the monitors belong to the office so you take what "IT" has, but it's so much easier to work when you can have 3 or 4 documents open and visible at the same time.

My desktop at home has 3 x 27" monitors which are identical, no issues with scaling of course and I can watch the cricket or snooker (The Crucible starts on April 15th) in a window whilst "attending" a Zoom meeting :whistling:

yes before I had 3 monitor on my main computer. If I get an email for an quotation, I have the open email/Thunderbird on one screen, calculation software on the next screen and on the third the excel with the raw material. Somehow I never found it comfortable to adjust some windows with the content.
Or drawing something for the 3D printer on one screen and have the email open on the other screen and webbrowser on the 3rd. Unfortunately Mrs. h90 demanded that I give her 1 monitor so now I am down to 2.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

Unfortunately Mrs. h90 demanded that I give her 1 monitor so now I am down to 2.

You should turn adversity to your advantage ???? 

When the grandkids machine needed a new monitor (or two) I moved my old 23" screens to their machine and "had" to buy myself new 27" monitors (and a 3-monitor desk stand as well) :whistling:

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You should turn adversity to your advantage ???? 

When the grandkids machine needed a new monitor (or two) I moved my old 23" screens to their machine and "had" to buy myself new 27" monitors (and a 3-monitor desk stand as well) :whistling:

yes that why I need the new 4K monitor because I had to give the old HD monitor ????

• Haha 1

Sorry to hijack the OP´s thread with a slightly different question on the topic of using 2 monitors. I thought highjacking it might be preferred to having another new thread. Apologies if this assumption was incorrect. ????

I am currently planning on adding a second monitor to my existing Dell U2717D. I have never used 2 monitors and only read a little bit about this topic but one comment I read that it would be advisable to use identical monitors. The Dell I am currently using is quite a few years old and it doesn´t seem to be available anymore. If I go and buy a newer model like the Dell U2722D would that be any issue at all when using it together with the older 2717D? I am just after the added screen space as I have too many windows open at the same time for just 1 27" monitor. I THINK (!) that any potential differences in the brightness etc of the 2 monitors will not be an issue. Mind you, since I have no experience at all with using 2 monitors I thought I better double check with the pros here on the forum. 

Thank you and, once again, apologies for highjacking this thread!

DUS

3 hours ago, DUS said:

Sorry to hijack the OP´s thread with a slightly different question on the topic of using 2 monitors. I thought highjacking it might be preferred to having another new thread. Apologies if this assumption was incorrect. ????

I am currently planning on adding a second monitor to my existing Dell U2717D. I have never used 2 monitors and only read a little bit about this topic but one comment I read that it would be advisable to use identical monitors. The Dell I am currently using is quite a few years old and it doesn´t seem to be available anymore. If I go and buy a newer model like the Dell U2722D would that be any issue at all when using it together with the older 2717D? I am just after the added screen space as I have too many windows open at the same time for just 1 27" monitor. I THINK (!) that any potential differences in the brightness etc of the 2 monitors will not be an issue. Mind you, since I have no experience at all with using 2 monitors I thought I better double check with the pros here on the forum. 

DUS

I worked a lot with 2 or 3 monitors and they were always different one, but similar resolution. No real problem in Win10. Only if the size is different, it happened a few times that I could not move the mouse from one to the other because of different height. But that can be adjusted in Win 10, and it need like 0.5 seconds to move over 2 cm higher. Can't really call that a problem.
Other problem were the available connector on the computer (I don't know how they are named) so I needed some adapter cable....Also an issue of only 200 Baht and works without problems.
Or short version there is no problem at all with different monitors as long as the resolution is the same. (If there is a problem with different solutions is the question for my original post).
Differences in brightness can be adjusted perfectly for normal use (don't know for artistic work)

• Thanks 1

Use Extended screen to second monitor. Imagine the monitors top aligned... so moving mouse from one to the other may look weird, like cursor not moving in certain parts of the screen, but moving to where you have them "continuing" will work. I have a similar setup with 2 different resolutions and it's working OK.

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Use Extended screen to second monitor. Imagine the monitors top aligned... so moving mouse from one to the other may look weird, like cursor not moving in certain parts of the screen, but moving to where you have them "continuing" will work. I have a similar setup with 2 different resolutions and it's working OK.

yes I use extended screen...but just now for example when I go from the left to the right monitor with the mouse down where it shows the date it get stuck. A centimeter higher it works....as the monitor are different in height (and that set).....but I almost don't notice it. But with one big and 2 small monitors it was more noticeable

7 hours ago, DUS said:

DUS

I've had 2 and 3 monitor setups at home and in the office using Dells and you'll be fine with that setup. I have found the main issues that can distract with multi monitors are size differences, different heights, and combining matte and glossy. The Dells you mentioned are the same size, same resolution, both matte finish, and both have adjustable stands. The only differences I you're likely to notice are that the newer one may be a bit brighter even though they are rated the same, due to be newer and different backlighting parts and you'll probably notice color differences due to the 2722 supporting a wider color gamut.

One thing to keep in mind with using 2 monitors is that you'll likely prefer having 1 monitor centered with the second off to the side so you're not forced to always be looking either left or right which becomes tiring quickly. Just something to keep in mind with regards to the size and layout of your desk.

• Thanks 1