'An act of sacrilege': Anger at government plan to house asylum seekers at historic RAF Scampton

onthedarkside

image.png.9d1faaeb64be0c03e88ca71f3b47f09a.png

A government plan to place asylum seekers in temporary living facilities at a Royal Air Force base in Lincolnshire is facing opposition from locals, politicians and historians.

About 1,500 asylum seekers could be housed at the now disused RAF Scampton.

The airfield, which closed last year, is the former home of The Red Arrows aerobatics display team and the Dambusters - the squadron that carried out one of the Second World War's most famous air raids.

https://news.sky.com/story/an-act-of-sacrilege-anger-at-government-plan-to-house-asylum-seekers-at-historic-raf-scampton-12842014

image.png.8033fc895fa83122f8818dec54a3285d.png

Plans to house migrants on military bases or disused ferries to be announced within weeks

Plans to start moving migrants out of hotels and into military bases or even potentially disused ferries are expected to be announced by the government within weeks.

Ministers have already signalled that they want to end the use of hotels as asylum seeker accommodation.

Previous suggestions of using holiday camps and student halls are less likely to be brought into action.

https://news.sky.com/story/plans-to-house-migrants-on-military-bases-and-disused-ferries-to-be-announced-within-weeks-12842083

• Like 1

Scampton had been planned to be both preserved and developed, so the local community now feels both robbed and worried. There have been protests about this all over the country. Hotels are filling up and costing a lot of money, while most of these so-called "refugees" are just opportunistic migrants who have been able to afford to pay people smugglers. To assist genuine refugees is noble but this continuous accommodation of migrants in not sustainable in many different ways.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

And would all of the local people around ex RAF Scampton be willing to foot the entire bill to preserve RAF Scampton.

It is merely one of many ex military bases across the UK which are no longer required.

It is simply a piece of land where aircraft used to fly from but no longer do.

I never served there during my 25 years and most of the RAF stations I did serve on are long gone. The memories both good and bad, however remain.

I did a bit of drag racing at North Weald....:stoner:

• Like 2