New double track rail line between Hua Hin and Prachuap Khiri Khan to open next year: SRT

webfact

image.jpeg

The u-turn bridge next to the Seapines recreation centre and hotel, which is on newly built double-track railway between Hua Hin and Prachuap Khiri Khan. Image: SRT

By Jonathan Fairfield

The double track rail line between Hua Hin and Prachuap Khiri Khan is set to be open by next year, a spokesperson for the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has said.

In an update on the project provided to the Thai government’s public relations department, Ekarat Sri-arayanpong, SRT’s public relations director, said that the majority of the civil engineering work for the project has already been finished.

Mr Ekarat stated that the new tracks are currently undergoing testing to estimate travel times and ensure safe shunting, which has produced satisfactory results thus far. Once the testing phase is complete, the rail line will be ready to open to the public.

The new double track railway will span 84 kilometers in length and will cost close to 5.807 billion baht. The track runs parallel to the old single track which operates on the main southern line.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/new-double-track-rail-line-between-hua-hin-and-prachuap-khiri-khan-to-open-next-year-srt/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2023-03-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

That little used U Turn bridge is on military land and eliminates a former level crossing. One wonders why an underpass wasn't constructed at a fraction of the cost of that bridge. As with the construction of the Rajaphaksi Park opposite there will be subsequent allegations of impropriety...????

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Improvements to the current system are desperately needed. Using the trains here is like stepping into a time capsule, and being transported back to 1965.

Makes it all part of the enjoyment of living life and remembering the old days since I am retired.  The trains are almost as I remember them from my youth being born here in Bangkok and living here until I was almost 6 before we returned to the US where I started elementary school.....

• Love It 2

3 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Are these tracks elevated the whole distance, at least for road crossing areas,

if not I do not see any high speed train success except for a big accident in

the future.

Harvey

its 84 kilometres long, how high speed do you expect it to be?

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

its 84 kilometres long, how high speed do you expect it to be?

It is not elevated at all, but running the same as the current tracks which near us are the same height as the roadway.  That is why they are putting in these U-Turn overcrossings and blocking off the roadway crossing the tracks.

Edited by ThailandRyan

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is not elevated at all, but running the same as the current tracks which near us are the same height as the roadway.  That is why they are putting in these U-Turn overcrossings and blocking off the roadway crossing the tracks.

yes, i know.

When will they extend from Chumphon to Hat Yai and the border with Malaysia. The line from Singapore to the Thai border was completed several years ago; all dual track and electrified.

4 hours ago, Ombra said:

I wonder how much the hundreds of u-turn bridges cost. Could some engineer tell us whether that is the best way of crossing the line?

One does wonder, though they do have a couple underpasses, certainly not for trucks much higher than standard pick up / SUV.

Many U-turns are completed, between HH & Chumphon, as been using more than a few.   The 'main' one at PKK is not, and hasn't seen any progress in a long time ???? 

Probably the heaviest traveled crossing below Pranburi, till getting to Chumphon.  Until done, I wouldn't expect much to be going further south than PKK municipality.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The u-turn bridge

As shown in photo - several of these bridges have been constructed (or being constructed) on the sections where doubling of the narrow gauge (one meter) line is in process on the Northern Line to Chiang Mai. This has nothing to do with the proposed High Speed Line projects which will be standard gauge (1.435 meters).

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Well, the Shanghai Maglev train system is 30km long and the trains reach speeds of 268mph.

That's nice.  May I ask what that has to do with the price of tea ???? n china? I wasnt aware we were talking about Thailand's new maglev railway 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

That's nice.  May I ask what that has to do with the price of tea ???? n china? I wasnt aware we were talking about Thailand's new maglev railway 

OK. Then the answer is I would expect a speed in excess of 200mph on this Thai proposed railway, based on other modern high speed railways of 84km or less.

Any less than that and the nomenclature would need revising.

Wow, you all sure are expecting a lot from the 'dual track' line ....

... not high speed line.

Bang Su to Hua Hin is 200+ kms, (230 if driven), and the duel line is expected, hoped, to cut the travel time only in half. 

Depending where leaving from, at Krung Thep, and considering, getting to/from the station, check in/out time, it will still be faster to simple drive.

200 kms, in 2.5 hrs ... whoa ... slow down ... ????

"The new dual track trains are expected to travel at approximately 160 km/h meaning people can easily reach Bangkok between two and three hours,"

84 kms ???  hmm ... it does not state, it will be dual lines from Bang Su to Hua Hin.

"double track railway will span 84 kilometers"

https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/new-dual-track-train-line-in-hua-hin-to-open-this-year-2-5-hour-journey-time-to-bangkok/#:~:text=Once opened%2C the train line,on Monday (Sept 20).

Edited by KhunLA

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Makes it all part of the enjoyment of living life and remembering the old days since I am retired.  The trains are almost as I remember them from my youth being born here in Bangkok and living here until I was almost 6 before we returned to the US where I started elementary school.....

Agreed! Part of the charm of Thailand. Elsewhere, an ageing railway would have been reduced to essential maintenance only until it deteriorated beyond economic repair, then closed and the rails ripped up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, mrfill said:

OK. Then the answer is I would expect a speed in excess of 200mph on this Thai proposed railway, based on other modern high speed railways of 84km or less.

Any less than that and the nomenclature would need revising.

This is not a high speed train project, though. As @KhunLApoints out, it's a dual track rail line project.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 3/27/2023 at 8:41 PM, KhunLA said:

Does anybody know when the 2.5 hours by train from Bkk to Hua Hin already promised for last year will become reality?