Driving Thai car into Cambodia for a few nights at Koh Kong.

grain

Has anyone done this recently? I've done it a few times pre-covid and it was easy enough. I'm thinking about doing a short motoring trip to Koh Kong and maybe Sihanoukville sometime in the next few months, so wondering if there have been any changes? Anything I need to know before driving there?

I was there in December. Saw quite a few Thai cars in Koh Kong town. Also in Kampong Speu and Kampot recently.

If you are getting a tourist visa best to get the online visa. The Cham Yeam immigration are trying to make up for lost revenue during covid. Asking THB2,000. First price. Negotiable.

National Road 4 is being worked on. They are doing all of it at the same time. It's rough and very dusty and lots of trucks moving around.

The fairly new highway out of Trat is a bit rough. Best to drive in the right hand lane. You'll avoid vehicles driving down the wrong way also.

The Thai side of the border is less congested now and there is a separate  immigration departure building on the left hand side.

4 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I suppose the most important factor is to ensure your Insurance and Licence are valid in Cambodia. Those kind of things are normally not an issue until they become an issue, then you could be in serious trouble.

I've actually gone off the idea now, after reading: "National Road 48 is being worked on. They are doing all of it at the same time. It's rough and very dusty and lots of trucks moving around."

Plus the Insurance and License that you point out. Think we'll just remain in Thailand.

Thanks anyway for your reply.

5 hours ago, grain said:

I've actually gone off the idea now, after reading: "National Road 48 is being worked on. They are doing all of it at the same time. It's rough and very dusty and lots of trucks moving around."

Plus the Insurance and License that you point out. Think we'll just remain in Thailand.

Thanks anyway for your reply.

I was told the road will not be finished until 2025. Instead of the road just being replaced the Koreans are taking out any hills and pushing in a new straight road which means removing a lot of soil. Major upgrade