Children in northeast and south of Thailand at highest risk from climate change

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2023-03-28T144108.015.png

The latest impact assessment report from UNICEF reveals that Children living in the northeastern and southern areas of Thailand are at a high risk of their health development and well-being being affected by climate change and environmental hazards, especially in the provinces of Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Sri Sa Ket, Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Narathiwat.

The study, which examines various demographics, such as location, income, disability and age, shows that the primary climate hazards affecting children are floods, droughts and heat waves. The children, whose immune systems are far more susceptible to climate disasters and health risks, might suffer from water contamination, food insecurity and the spread of diseases.

The climate danger does not, however, only damage children’s health and development. Kyungsun Kim, the UNICEF Representative for Thailand, also warns that, if this issue remains unresolved, children will be exposed to more risk in other areas of life and well-being as well.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/children-in-northeast-and-south-of-thailand-at-highest-risk-from-climate-change/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The study, which examines various demographics, such as location, income, disability and age, shows that the primary climate hazards affecting children are floods, droughts and heat waves.

Not forgetting the choking PM2.5

• Thumbs Up 1

They need to stop talking about this and actually do something. Their half ass attempts and studies do not help the situation. Spend less on the committees and more on the education and communities. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

UNICEF reveals that Children living in the northeastern and southern areas of Thailand are at a high risk of their health development and well-being being affected by climate change

I'm guessing its probably from all the hot air that comes out of the political building in the middle !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

How long has burning been going on!

Let's put it this way.......climate change or global warming, especially the hole in the ozone layer, was being discussed in the UK in the late 1960's. Thailand's GDP in 1960 was tiny, maybe USD 1 billion, maybe! By 2000, Thai GDP had reached USD 150 bill and has grown exponentially every year since, today Thai GDP is worth about USD 520 bill. 

Agricultural burning in Thailand, on a scale similar to today, is about twenty/thirty years old, not much more, I was here in the 1990's and some years it was quite bad. On the basis of the above, I think it's fair to say that Thailand's agricultural burning is a key contributor to the problem.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Let's put it this way.......climate change or global warming, especially the hole in the ozone layer, was being discussed in the UK in the late 1960's. Thailand's GDP in 1960 was tiny, maybe USD 1 billion, maybe! By 2000, Thai GDP had reached USD 150 bill and has grown exponentially every year since, today Thai GDP is worth about USD 520 bill. 

Agricultural burning in Thailand, on a scale similar to today, is about twenty/thirty years old, not much more, I was here in the 1990's and some years it was quite bad. On the basis of the above, I think it's fair to say that Thailand's agricultural burning is a key contributor to the problem.

How to connect totally unrelated things together without any connections or even trying!

I suggest you stick to finance which you seem to think you know something about!

33 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How to connect totally unrelated things together without any connections or even trying!

I suggest you stick to finance which you seem to think you know something about!

Do you have some qualification in the area of climate change that you'd like to share with us, you know, a degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject like: environmental science or ecology. geography, earth sciences or geology. physics.... or similar?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Do you have some qualification in the area of climate change that you'd like to share with us, you know, a degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject like: environmental science or ecology. geography, earth sciences or geology. physics.... or similar?

What is the point of your last two posts?

We can all claim to be Einstein on here!

What does that prove?

Just now, scottiejohn said:

What is the point of your last two posts?

We can all claim to be Einstein on here!

What does that prove?

You asked a question which was presented as a statement. I replied and offered you a possible answer to consider, an answer based on the growth rate of the Thai economy, which links to a growth in agricultural burning which in turn links to increased temperatures globally.. You responded with an attack and no rebuttal. I asked you if you had some special training in this field which would make what your views worth reading and give you more credibility....you responded with nonsense. I therefore concluded that you don't have a sensible intelligent response or aren't capable of debate. Which why I'm not going to waste any more time with you and instead, put you on my ignore list so that I don't have to read whatever insult you come up with next. Goodbye.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You asked a question which was presented as a statement. I replied and offered you a possible answer to consider, an answer based on the growth rate of the Thai economy, which links to a growth in agricultural burning which in turn links to increased temperatures globally.. You responded with an attack and no rebuttal. I asked you if you had some special training in this field which would make what your views worth reading and give you more credibility....you responded with nonsense. I therefore concluded that you don't have a sensible intelligent response or aren't capable of debate. Which why I'm not going to waste any more time with you and instead, put you on my ignore list so that I don't have to read whatever insult you come up with next. Goodbye.

Good.

I love when people say they have put me on ignore!

It proves they cannot give proper responses and I get to read all their posts without having to put up with their puerile responses to my posts!

A win win situation, for me!