Getting a non B visa from a consulate / embassy

We have a case where a lady has to change her dependant O visa to a non B so she needs to cancel her current visa and get a visa from the Thai Embassy. 

Two questions 

1) can this be done at the Thai Embassy in Laos 

2) how does she prove the funds if she has a joint bank account or does she need to open a Thai bank account? 

Is the employment being pursued for teaching or a general job? To apply for a conditional work permit approval letter from the Labour Department, I do not think a police report is needed except for a teaching job. Similarly, the extension of permission to stay based on working should not require this.

The only difficulty I can see is that it could be difficult to terminate the existing permission to stay as a dependant early to substitute an extension based on working. It seems ridiculous that you must leave Thailand and apply for a new visa just because Immigration refuses to cancel the permission to stay as a dependant, though I have heard of similar cases. If the immigration office that granted the dependant extension is willing to cancel it, I believe it is possible, though they are not obligated to do it. I suspect that a letter indicating that you no longer wanted her treated as your dependant as of a particular date, and discussion with the immigration office might be fruitful.

Edited by BritTim

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 12:13 AM, BritTim said:

Is the employment being pursued for teaching or a general job? To apply for a conditional work permit approval letter from the Labour Department, I do not think a police report is needed except for a teaching job. Similarly, the extension of permission to stay based on working should not require this.

The only difficulty I can see is that it could be difficult to terminate the existing permission to stay as a dependant early to substitute an extension based on working. It seems ridiculous that you must leave Thailand and apply for a new visa just because Immigration refuses to cancel the permission to stay as a dependant, though I have heard of similar cases. If the immigration office that granted the dependant extension is willing to cancel it, I believe it is possible, though they are not obligated to do it. I suspect that a letter indicating that you no longer wanted her treated as your dependant as of a particular date, and discussion with the immigration office might be fruitful.

This is for a general job. By the way does the embassy usually require an employment contract or would they initiation letter from the company suffice. Thanks