Visa Exempt Entry - Changing back to 30 days........or not?

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I guess they don't need to officially confirm what they officially announced in the first place, unless it changes.

True.

It might get confusing for some people looking to come to Thailand as a quick Google search will show many news outlets running the 45day exempt will be extended until the years end

story.

We will find out for sure on Saturday. However, I think it is 90+% sure that visa exempt entries will revert to 30 days. I have the impression that the authorities are reasonably satisfied with the current levels of tourism, and feel no need to encourage tourists to stay longer.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

We will find out for sure on Saturday. However, I think it is 90+% sure that visa exempt entries will revert to 30 days. I have the impression that the authorities are reasonably satisfied with the current levels of tourism, and feel no need to encourage tourists to stay longer.

According to another news outlet today no decision has been made yet,wont know until the start of April.

1 minute ago, ripstanley said:

The present government is suspended or in caretaker mode due to elections in May. Can they overturn the the reverting to 30 days?

They certainly could. However, I do not think the matter has any effect on election prospects. For that reason, I will be surprised if they are willing to spend time even discussing it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ripstanley said:

The present government is suspended or in caretaker mode due to elections in May. Can they overturn the reverting to 30 days?

i guess they could but i assume they have way more pressing matters on their plate

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Confusion, half truths, mixed messages and "misunderstandings" are all part of the charm of Thainess.

More to do with the unelected caretaker PM and his soldiers method of government than just Thainess.

Edited by NoshowJones

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

That's true, but suppose the more tourists that came meant that the unelected caretaker government's personal finances went up it would be a different story.

It would not matter to them that having more tourists coming would be greatly beneficial to more ordinary Thai peoples livelihoods.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Will not be extended 

Disregard any "news" from TAT etc. 

Would have already been announced if 45 was to be extended. 

Even for Thailand such a late announcement would be unusual.

It would have to be communicated to embassies, consulates, airline database etc.etc.

And now contradicting my own argument: do you remember the extreme confusion about COVID test/certificate requirement still needed after October 2022?

I think it was overthrown within two days and led to much confusion, people denied boarding etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm doing a border run tomorrow to get the 45 days. My extension finishes on 1st April. According to one of the biggest visa agents in Pattaya that I booked with yesterday he seemed to think it will not be extended. If it is, he said on the 1st it will probably be announced, so I'm doing the bounce just incase it is not.

It's already in effect

Friday, the 31st I left for a weekend in Ho chi min city and left DMK and Immigration stamped me out and did not say a word about the rule change

Arrived back on Sunday the 2nd and was only given 30 days and despite my outbound iternary showing return to the US on 3 May.  When I asked for the supervisor,  she told me that I would just have to pay for "overstay ".  But what ticks me off is that I am going to be labeled an overstayer after almost 20 years of coming to Thailand without a blemish on my record. So you might as well just get a 30 day tourist visa, since Visa Exempt entries have lost their value

I'm only in this mess because of the catch 22 with the insurance requirement for an O-A. My insurance company refuses to fill out the Immigration Medical Coverage form English but instead insists that their letter in Thai is sufficient.  As you can imagine,  rightfully so, Thai Immigration will only accept their form

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1