Foreign ‘tour guides’ taking jobs that are reserved for Thais only

snoop1130

10 hours ago, aussienam said:

It's a rinse-repeat of what the Russians are doing in Bali.  They are causing a lot of angst over there, defiant of any labor laws that are not convenient for them.  

i live on Bali and the Indonesian government is fed up with them.  they have backbone unlike the 

Thai government. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Protectionism rules Thailand.

It is common in many countries, including mine in first-world Europe and probably yours too, that a local guide must be employed. Perhaps alongside one native guide if it's part of a tour.

It is also quite common to request some sort of work permit, certification, call it what you want.

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

For Thais Only.

That is fine,  IF theThais can speak all the Foreign tourists Language right.

What's the good of having a tour guide if one Can't Understand him/her.

The Thai's have been proactive in accommodating the Russians. Here in Pattaya, many Thai's have taken Russian language course and busineses displaying lots of signage in Russian.

I'm sure there are many Thai tour guides with Russian language skills.

The Russians are becoming annoying, I see a few in the gym and other places working as trainers and other professions

Edited by Cricky
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, as they are taking jobs from Russian- , Hindi-, and (fill in any language) -speaking Thai tour guides! ????

Kick them out for what? Some people have no ability to clearly think logically when writing ... <deleted>!

14 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Last night at place in cnx zoe in yellow.I saw a foreigner with a staff badge watching or controlling the area.standing and watching the crowd.I also thought did he have a work permit to do it,made me think

I may be the majority share holder of one of the businesses "supervising" his staff!

On 3/30/2023 at 12:05 AM, scottiejohn said:

Given that these, and other, nationalities have offspring with their Thai partners in Thailand etc I would assume that there are quite a few dual language  Russian, Swedish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish etc offspring capable of being proficient dual language tour guides!

But I wonder how many of them want to work as a tour guide. Most probably qualify for much higher paying and intellectually rewarding professions.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:50 PM, ikke1959 said:

If there is a private tour with a private guide there should be no problem.. Who of the Thais can speak Russian, Swedish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish or just name it... You should be happy if there is a Thai guide who can guide in English and answer all questions... I am wondering when Thailand starts to welcome tourists, instead of with outdated laws hold hem off. Enter the 21st century please 

But I think most of the nationalities you mention speak at least some English as I guess do serious Thai tour guides along with some other languages, not so much the boat and minivan ones. Certainly the proper guides I've met here in the past Then as a tourist spoke English well. Then there are those prerecorded portable machine guides programmed in many languages with headphones for the user. Common in Europe. Not seen those here....but I haven't been looking!

20 hours ago, malibukid said:

i live on Bali and the Indonesian government is fed up with them.  they have backbone unlike the 

Thai government. 

Russians thriving on a 'no backbone' government..........it will change soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

And what if my family is coming on holiday and I show them Bangkok, Chiang Mai and other places, and explain what they see and how to do... Am I than an illegal guide??

Not unless you wear a baseball cap with 'guide' written on it or carry a cuddly toy or flag on a long stick!

Please, Your Excellency Mr. P.

Come here to Issan. Round up all the 15 to 20-something HS dropouts here in the villages, laying around all day on their phones, swaggering around smoking and popping yaba, racing motorbikes back and forth, BKK bargirls who came during Covid and refuse to go back, pathetically putting their hands out to their grandparents.

You'll easily fill a dozen buses with hundreds of them. Toss em all in an Army base for a 1-2 day English crash course, giving them basic phrases, Welcome to Amazing Thailand, right this away sir/ma'am, you must try this delicious food, etc. The bargirls of course already know quite a bit, and they can help the lazy boys. Boom, you got your Thai tour guides, and won't have to worry about those pesky foreigners taking their jobs.

• Love It 1