Is it true that if you are on a student visa, you can't leave Thailand?

3 hours ago, Goodboybkk said:

Is it true that if you are on a student/ ed visa, you can't leave Thailand?

Why aren't you at school? Playing "hookey" again?????

It was called "twagging" in the part of Yorkshire I went to school in.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Goodboybkk said:

How long is the maximal break?

There would not be a set rule.

Part of the conditions on the visa is attendance.

I recall someone asking same question previously.

He took a break of couple of weeks.

What break were you considering. 

This thread includes some info and link for reentry permit

https://aseannow.com/topic/1260289-exit-and-re-entry-w-1-year-edu-visa/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

If you can convincingly demonstrate that your absence has no impact on your ability to complete your course, leaving and returning is not a problem. A letter from your school/university stating (i) that they are aware that you will be taking a break from your studies between specified dates; and (ii) have agreed with you how you are going to compensate for the absence: there should be no trouble at all with Immigration.

What length absence do you contemplate, and what kind of course are you enrolled in?

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Goodboybkk said:

Is it true that if you are on a student/ ed visa, you can't leave Thailand?

No, but as a student, you're generally expected to leave during school holidays. Any other absence needs to be short and/or well justified. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Goodboybkk said:

1 week break and thai language course.

I have read through all comments in that link. It seems 1 week break would be okay with immigration officers at airport.

just make sure you get a re-entry permit or your visa will be canceled

• Thanks 1

So what if someone needs to leave for a few months? Should ED visa be cancelled (meaning leaving without re-entry permit) and afterwards new visa issued before coming back to Thailand? Or it is not a good idea if someone has ED visa?

27 minutes ago, Goodboybkk said:

How to get re-entry permit?

You obtain from immigration or international airports such as BKK, DMK etc.

You need TM8 form and photo.

Basic copies of passport pages.

Single reentry permit 1000b 

Multiple 3800b

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

pretty sure that that was covered by Tod's post!

It isn't so clear from his post as he was mentioning re-entry permit, I was asking if situation is different without re-entry permit and a new visa:

23 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

???????? ???????? ???????????????? ???????????????? ???????? ???????????? ???????????? ???????? ???? ????????????????????????????/ ???????? ????????????????, ???????????? ????????????'???? ???????????????????? ????????????????????????????????? <- I think you're not asking so much if you can LEAVE thailand I think you're asking more about will you have issues comin' back in on a valid ED visa/extension with a re-entry permit AFTER having left ...

Also in his case the person had long history in Thailand with Covid extensions and in-country visa conversion. So my question is exactly about this. Was this just a specific case because of long history in Thailand before or it is a common practice to cause issues when you leave with ED visa (does it matter if one has re-entry or not)?

For me this is not very clear and as I am considering education visa myself it is quite useful information.

• Love It 1

Thai student visa is really confusing. One language school advises me not to go outside Thailand since, for example, once it applies my ed visa today in country ( on 1 April) I am officially on student visa now even though I do not have ed visa stamp in mynpassport and might start studying the language 2 months later ( on 1 June). The visa is highly likely issued 6-8 weeks later. You can't study and come to class if you are still applying.

Another school advises me to apply re-entry permit if I really want to go outside Thailand.

Edited by Goodboybkk

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

Was this just a specific case because of long history in Thailand before or it is a common practice to cause issues when you leave with ED visa (does it matter if one has re-entry or not)?

That person had only TWO 60 day covid extensions (unlike like most people I've seen here who have been milking amnesty, covid extensions for 2+ years before they got the ED visa)  ????

They also were really studying, had their attendance booklet, a letter from their school stating they knew the student was going to be out of the country and STILL they were denied entry ???? So it wasn't just because of the "long stay history" <-(which really wasn't that long at all).

ED Visas for studying in a private language school are given a super high degree of scrutiny when people re-enter the country (and to answer your question; if you left WITHOUT a re-entry permit you'd cancel the ED visa/extension when you exited so yes, it does matter ???? )

The reason for this is during the covid lock down it seems every Tom, Dick & Somchai foreigner here enrolled in schools handing out those b/s back-door, under the table year long ED visa/extensions and yet those people NEVER went to school a single day. The abuse of the system was just off the charts. AND the scrutiny that people get entering on ED extensions w/re-entry permits
is a direct result of this abuse. 

35 minutes ago, Goodboybkk said:

You can't study and come to class if you are still applying.

That is not correct. There is no issue studying on a tourist entry. The Non B visa and extensions are intended to make it easy to stay in Thailand, not because they are required in order to study.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That is not correct. There is no issue studying on a tourist entry.

It's not that they're prohibited from studying on the entry stamp they're on (because you're correct you can study on a visa exempt / tourist visa entry no issue at all)

It's because the ED visa programs are sold as meeting the minimum requirements of so many hours per year.  People can't start studying until they get the ED visa issued because if you burn up the hours studying BEFORE you have the ED visa issued you're going to come up short when you go to get one of the extensions during the year.

(Again in Bangkok) most schools tell the student, you can start studying once we (the school) get the paperwork from the MOE and can go get the visa. 

30 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

It's because the ED visa programs are sold as meeting the minimum requirements of so many hours per year

Interesting. Requirements I have seen specified hours per week rather than hours per year. Of course, if you have been learning for a couple of months when you finally received the Non Ed visa, there could be an issue that the course ends before the 12 months on education visa/extensions has been reached (meaning you do not get the full benefit) but is it really true that Immigration will refuse to honour the Non Ed visa at all if you are not committed for the full 12 months?

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

That person had only TWO 60 day covid extensions (unlike like most people I've seen here who have been milking amnesty, covid extensions for 2+ years before they got the ED visa)

Out of curiosity, how did that even work? Isn't there a requirement that you have to leave the country 1 year after entering in case case of studying at a language school? Counted from the actual entry, not from the date the non-immigrant visa is issued, I mean.

I remember that people who wanted to study at Pattaya language schools when the "amnesty" was about to end (in Sep/Oct 2020) were advised that they'll only be able to study/stay for whatever time was left of that year, not a full year from starting to study. So they got a Non-ED visa, maybe one 90-day extension based on studying, then Covid extensions.

Did other immigration offices interpret that more generously, or did that change after Covid extensions had been introduced?

Edited by Caldera

What a complicated process to get a student visa.

During 14-day review an international student can't exit and enter this country. What if his/her parents die or fall ill severely during that time. 

Students have to go to Chaengwattana several times  ( 6 times!)

Why doesn't Thai ministry of education just copy and paste the Australian or UK coherent immigration policy on international students? Does thai students in UK have to go to Croydon homeoffice 5 times in 1 year? Hell no!

6 minutes ago, Goodboybkk said:

What a complicated process to get a student visa.

During 14-day review an international student can't exit and enter this country. What if his/her parents die or fall ill severely during that time. 

Students have to go to Chaengwattana several times  ( 6 times!)

Why doesn't Thai ministry of education just copy and paste the Australian or UK coherent immigration policy on international students? Does thai students in UK have to go to Croydon homeoffice 5 times in 1 year? Hell no!

Why start to complain.

You have 3 threads about gaming the system and still complain.

I have no issue with that but give us a break.

Thailand has so so many flexible visa options from visa exempt entry to SETV, METV, Non ED, list goes on.

You mention Australia.

For me to take my Thai partner to Oz it is certainly not simple process.

You currently don't have a non ED and complain about not able to "travel to several countries" during application process.

Obtain a non ED outside of Thailand at nearby consulate.

• Thanks 1